Livewires - California Dreamin'
Sep 14, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #2,971 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wicked, i may make my own if i fall in love with a wire, anyway, the connectors steve offered to sell were not very costly, so even if it went wrong it wouldnt be the end of the world, and it would be a good experiance, and to show my dad you can actually make nice cables that people here will actually pay money for.

Matt

That is exactly my point, the main flaw I can have of making the cable by myself is where to source the best purest silver wires. So far, the most afforable to me is from the one from few sellers in eBay. I will go to China next month, and I use to go to a place where they sell silver jewelries, and now I have a good reason to go there!

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #2,972 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by precsmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is exactly my point, the main flaw I can have of making the cable by myself is where to source the best purest silver wires. So far, the most afforable to me is from the one from few sellers in eBay. I will go to China next month, and I use to go to a place where they sell silver jewelries, and now I have a good reason to go there!

Isn't it funny how differently people can view relative risks? China is notorious for materials substitution. The seller will claim one alloy and ship a less expensive one.

If you really want to know what you're getting so you can reproduce the results in the future, you'll need to either source your wire from a country that enforces standards & contracts or pay to have a wire sample analyzed. If you don't care about reproducing the results, roll the dice with the Chinese...

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #2,974 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by MediumFi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't it funny how differently people can view relative risks? China is notorious for materials substitution. The seller will claim one alloy and ship a less expensive one.

If you really want to know what you're getting so you can reproduce the results in the future, you'll need to either source your wire from a country that enforces standards & contracts or pay to have a wire sample analyzed. If you don't care about reproducing the results, roll the dice with the Chinese...

No, the silver wire that I'm buying and the seller is from USA. What I mean was I travel to China regularly, and I will take the chance to look for more of these wires in the future. Don't be fooled by China product, not all China sources are flawed. I know where to look for good source. I travel to China to make business. And I might be able to find imported silver somehow.

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #2,975 of 3,902
Quote:

How long was the wait for you?

exactly 3 weeks.

I'd assume that another refit would take a similiar amount of time. I made my mind up about returning it. Rather invest in a portable amp with that 280 dollars.

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #2,976 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
exactly 3 weeks.

I'd assume that another refit would take a similiar amount of time. I made my mind up about returning it. Rather invest in a portable amp with that 280 dollars.

thanks for the info. 3 weeks is very positive to me, hope mind not goin to be like over a month or 2 like the others been saying in the previous months. Earpeace ppl told me what John told me for about 2 weeks was not so realistic, but 3 weeks should do.

so, you don't like the Livewires? Hmmm, too bad for you for the troubles and returning it. Different ppl have different likes and dislikes, so, nothing is wrong returning it. Good luck with your other new toys in the future. And lastly, hope that I like my livewires when I get it!

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #2,977 of 3,902
Quote:

Good to you, I really really hope I have my Livewires on time like you, at least about 1 month like you. For the moment, I've mixed feeling with them.

03/09/08 - shipped my ear impressions to them

06/09/08 - Item reached their office, but they probably closed on Saturday, and the tracking status stated that item can't be delivered and a note left at their office and will be resent. So, I was worried that either party will miss something, I wrote to Earpeace to make sure they receive them

08/09/08 - the tracking status shown that the item had redelivered and was sucessful. I wrote to them to request a reply from them for the confirmation.

11/09/08 - I still not receiving any email from them after 2 emails sent to them previously. So, I called them and they confirmed to me they have received it and the ear impressions already sent to production lab.

And until now, I still have not got any official notification from the email about the status of the ear impression, not an email at all. I understand that many had been complaining their slow respond with emails, but this been not happening to me. I've sent them numerous emails previously before I paid them, and all emails were surprisingly prompt. And only until I shipped the impressions, they have not been replying me. Shouldn't they notify their customers once they have received the impressions? I've got nothing from them so far.

i don't understand why you require a separate confirmation aside from the postal tracking system and a phone call.

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #2,978 of 3,902
Quote:

I had the stranded silver, lovley cable, but i didn't like the fact that it gave me even more bass, but took a bit of the sparkle i love in my highs. I want an even better balanced (like stock) sound from a steven kelby cable.

Apparantly i will have another one to test sometime
smily_headphones1.gif

And i sent the one i had to someone in Denmark last saturday, dont know their forum name, let me know if it has arrived please!

Matt

At least one of the cables I have here sounds like a stock cable, but with better bass, mids and trable
biggrin.gif

One of the cables offer better treble and detail, and one of the cables offer more detail with more forward mids.

I have put another 24 hours on the other two cables (one with each of my two pairs of livewires), and I am listening to one of them right now. I should be done with my evaluation tomorrow. I'm at 50 hours with cable #1, and 75 hours with the other two cables.

Larry

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #2,979 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least one of the cables I have here sounds like a stock cable, but with better bass, mids and trable
biggrin.gif

One of the cables offer better treble and detail, and one of the cables offer more detail with more forward mids.

I have put another 24 hours on the other two cables (one with each of my two pairs of livewires), and I am listening to one of them right now. I should be done with my evaluation tomorrow. I'm at 50 hours with cable #1, and 75 hours with the other two cables.

Larry

Okay, I am gonna share what I have been sending Steven Kelby over the past 4 days regarding the cables. As I said above, they are all an improvement over stock, but only one of them retains the sound signature of the stock Livewires, but just an improved version of it with more body and weight and detail and depth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict

Sept 11 2008 impressions

Hi,

I got the cables today, and tried them (without burn-in) with my Macbook via Predator USB DAC, and iMod with portable Vcap dock with D2 Viper and LTC6241HV/LM6172 opamps:

This is what I find so far:

33g Cardas - Bright, decent bass. Detail improved. Louder volume than the others (weird). The brightness takes away some of the transparency, making me more aware I am listening to a recording. I suspect this one needs burn-in.

Jenna Labs - better bass than 33g cardas, good treble and detail, more bump in upper mids vs stock or others (grado territory). More enjoyable than 33g Cardas.

26g SPC - Better than 33g Cardas, vs stock it has more body and detail with good bass, not too bright. Better bass than the other 2, not quite as detailed as the other two although better than stock. Very engaging sound with this cable, and sucks me in to listen to music instead of analyzing the sound.

Stock cable - switching from any of these is a little bit of a shock - one should rest their ears for a while before going back to stock. If I had to pick just one, it would be tough between the JL and SPC, but the SPC would likely be my choice.

It bedtime, and I'll listen more tomorrow. I am going to put some hours on the 33g Cardas overnight. Can you tell me if any of them have been burned-in, and if my impressions match yours?

Thanks,

Larry

PS: No APS cable yet, expecting it in a couple of weeks when my APS V2 D2000 and a V3 HD600 cable return to me balanced with adapter cables.

Sept 12 2008 Impressions - 2nd day:

33g Cardas - 24 hour burn-in minimal change, not quite as bright but still not "natural" sounding. Way too fragile feeling. Easily tangled with my USB cable for DAC/Amp.

Jenna Labs - continues to be more forward than the other with a bump in upper mids vs stock or others (grado territory). More enjoyable than 33g Cardas. Bass seems to be on par with the 26G SPC now. May be too forward vs stock or 26g SPC. Harder to wear over and behind the ears, and bumping the cable is a bigger problem with microphonics when not over the ears.

26g SPC - still more enjoyable than 33g Cardas. Bass seems to be closer to JL, not quite as detailed as the other two although better than stock. It hit me that this cable changes the sound signature the least, and only improves on it by that magical 10% with more body and detail. Still not quite as detailed as the JL (I wonder if this an illusion from the upper mids boost). Works well over and behind the ears. Less microphonic to bumping than JL, but more to rubbing or sliding fingers in cable.

Stock cable - no change in imprssions. If I had to pick just one, it would still be tough between the JL and SPC, but the SPC would still likely be my choice. I would pick stock over the 33g Cardas, and would not be unhappy with the JL (it might be nice to own both someday).

Larry

Sept 13, 2008 Impressions - 3rd day:

I think we agree the SPC is a good all-rounder. It is an improvement over the stock cable, and not too stiff or hard (although it is more than the stock one), and not too flimsy. It's not the best cable out there, but it might fit in the "best bang for the buck" category.

The JL is an improvement over stock - some people might like the slight bump in upper mids/lower treble or the more forward soundstage presentation. With some music I enjoyed it but not with all music, and the microphonics I mentioned when bumping it were a problem.

The Cardas doesn't sound "bad" to me, it just doesn't sound right to me - I might grow to like it, but I just prefer a little more balanced sound. If I want my Livewires to sound like a pair of AKG K701 I'd buy it. I prefer them to sound like my re-cabled Grado RS-1 instead, and the SPC gets me closer to that. With the stock cable the LW remind me more of my old re-cabled RS-2.

I think there is very little chance people will spend $550-600 on a CC Piccolo cable for a $250 Livewires. The UE11 Pro crowd is a more likely bet. That being said, I would love to hear it, but would hate to hear it because I am not in a position to buy an expensive cable (until I get my disability settlement in a few months). I think I am able to test a UE11 Pro cable on my Freq Show
tongue.gif

It will be interesting to compare these to the APS cable Alex is making. I put 24 more hours on the SPC cable and will be listening again tonight.

Sept 14 Impressions - 4th day:

The Cardas 33g Silver is really burning-in nicely. I haven't listened for 24 hours, and it sounds more balanced tonight. There was never a lack of bass, but rather a boost in treble; but the sheen in the highs with the silver cable is calming down more with burn-in. It doesn't sound like the same cable as it did on the 12th, 2 days ago - they are starting to sound more "right" to me now. It's a shame they are so thin and fragile feeling - I've sewn up lacerations with sutures thicker than this cable! Have you tested just how strong the cable really is?

The 26g SPC is still sounding great - well rounded and balanced, and sure hit with the buyers. The lead over the Cardas is not quite as big now.

The Jenna Labs cable seems to have better synergy with my Livewires that I stuck SE530 drivers into. They pick up more body and substance to the music. I have put 24 hours of music on the JL cable since my last listen, and tomorrow I will try them on the stock Livewires again.

Thanks!

Larry

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #2,980 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by imademymark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't understand why you require a separate confirmation aside from the postal tracking system and a phone call.

I didn't expect 2 confirmations. But what I mean was if I didn't call them to check, I will never receive any email from them till now.

Also, the tracking system was from the postage company, not a solid confirmation from Earpeace, things can happen in between if I don't get a solid confirmation from Earpeace, I really didn't want to take the troubles to start the process all over again.

Sep 15, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #2,981 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I am gonna share what I have been sending Steven Kelby over the past 4 days regarding the cables. As I said above, they are all an improvement over stock, but only one of them retains the sound signature of the stock Livewires, but just an improved version of it with more body and weight and detail and depth.

now you've got me interested.

i love my livewires, although sometimes i feel they could be way more engaging.

in other news, i'm finally posting here, been a lurker for ages. how apt that its on the livewires thread too, since they were my first serious earphones, before my wallet became quite sorry i got started

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #2,982 of 3,902
Finally got my Livewires, my 1st custom IEM
beerchug.gif

Pics Pics Pics
atsmile.gif
(sorry, not the best pics, was rushing
tongue.gif
)

2732267528_00d3941fb6_o.jpg

My impressions

2859588962_53f6c3e05f_o.jpg

Love the heading "EXTREMELY URGENT - Please Rush to The Addressee".
tongue.gif

2858760661_27485bbc06_o.jpg

2859589060_0ef8fc2626_o.jpg

2859589028_8539a4195b_o.jpg

2859588998_494a94e02c_o.jpg

Fitting seems alright, very comfortable. But seal brakes quite easily with facial muscle movement.
Not gonna comment on sound at this point, will let it burn in for few days before any critical listening.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #2,983 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbird1927 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally got my Livewires, my 1st custom IEM
beerchug.gif

Pics Pics Pics
atsmile.gif
(sorry, not the best pics, was rushing
tongue.gif
)

You are making me jealous! Mind is just in the first week since they got the impressions. Hope to hear your impressions soon. Hope you enjoy it...

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #2,984 of 3,902
Mmm, better is what i was looking for, but with the stock sound... I wasn't sure if i would be searching for a better stock sound, so I just said i like the stock sound
tongue.gif

I want to test that one bad! I think Steve said he was going to send me one that matched what i said to him in PM, the same as i said here really. Is one on the way Steve? Which is it?

A better stock sound sounds promising, not that i could justify the money for the cable at the moment...

But i am confused, which was it Larry? You commented on two about the stock sound, but i think i got a bit lost!
redface.gif

Matt

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #2,985 of 3,902
Quote:

Mmm, better is what i was looking for, but with the stock sound... I wasn't sure if i would be searching for a better stock sound, so I just said i like the stock sound
tongue.gif

I want to test that one bad! I think Steve said he was going to send me one that matched what i said to him in PM, the same as i said here really. Is one on the way Steve? Which is it?

A better stock sound sounds promising, not that i could justify the money for the cable at the moment...

But i am confused, which was it Larry? You commented on two about the stock sound, but i think i got a bit lost!
redface.gif

Matt

I went back and looked at my notes, and it's pretty clear which of the three cables is "the best all rounder that changes the sound sig the least". So, now my curiosity is piqued and I have to see if you figure it out.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back