Livewires - California Dreamin'
Aug 30, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #2,896 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbit6003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I don't care if the faceplate is damaged in the process of fixing the drivers, but I'd not want the fit to be affected. These glass slippers belong to me!
biggrin.gif

They should be able to make the repair such that you can't even tell anything ever happened. It's just acrylic. Slice it open, put the components back in the right spot (and use a little extra glue this time hehe), resolder the connections, and reattach the faceplate with a little more acrylic. They will have to polish the seam a bit, but hopefully they will stay away from the body as much as possible. It shouldn't affect the fit.

btw, I love the glass slipper analogy
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #2,897 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by MediumFi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Several posts in the thread mentioned how the LW sound better after a burn in period. I don't understand the physics.

Me either, I don't even have a theory
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MediumFi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were it not for the consistency of reported results, I would suspect it's the users' ears "burning in" to the sound signature.

Definitely not mental. I've heard plenty cans for a long time and not had them change one bit, which they would if it was all in my head - I would get used to the sound and they would change.

No question that these change in the first day or two of use. I know science can't explain it (of LOTS of other things, yet) but I do know I trust my ears implicitly.

Heck people still argue over whether silver and copper wires sound any different...
smile.gif

Anyway, I don't know what could burn in with a Liverwire. Anyone got any theories at all? Are there any moving parts in there?

Surely there is, if sound comes out, something is vibrating.

I don't even know how the drivers work though.

Aug 30, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #2,898 of 3,902
I'm heading out to meet with John Diles for my fitting today! Yeah!

As expected he's a way cool guy. Both of us are doing self-funded start-ups, which can be a challenge. Fortunately for him, he's further along in the process...

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #2,899 of 3,902
OK check this one out:

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

It's made with a special version of the Crystal Cable Picolo wire, not normally available but thanks to a good friend with contacts I have this wire to try for a short time. It will be made into an HP cable for him once he decides which one but for now, it's the ultimate Livewire cable!

It's a silver (possibly with some gold, not 100% sure TBH) coaxial wire , 1.5m outside diameter, kapton core, teflon outer. Very, very strong, far more flexible than the 22G Jena and it has some fascinating properties. The sound is phenomenal but the price is high. These 2 lengths of wire cost a lot more than a pair of Livewires anyway...

The inner conductor is only 6 tiny strands, each as thin as the individual copper strands in the Jena wire (which uses 50 strands for 22G, 127 for 18G btw).

The outer is the braided sheath, under Teflon.

Here's a pic:

IMG_2425.jpg

I replaced my loudspeaker cables with these 2 lengths for fun and to burn them in. I tested very carefully, accurately and repeatedly and at some frequencies this wire gave higher db readings than my 12G stranded copper cables...

I can't explain it, have no idea why and find it hard to believe that this wire is that much of a better conductor but the results show it must be.

I'll do it again and video it when I take this cable apart in a week or whenever for proof. I played tones and pink/white noise, didn't touch the SPL meter, swapped the cables repeatedly and got the same results. At some frequencies the db was the same, at others it was several db higher with this wire. No readings showed it at a lower level. Maybe my copper cable is faulty (that's what Bigshot would say
tongue.gif
) but its only a few years old, Interdyn, no tarnish, treated with the Caig products as is every connection in my system, and the Crystal cable.

Strange and wonderful stuff.

I certainly don't plan to make any cables with this wire and am unsure if we can even get more of it, just thought it was interesting and wanted to share.

In other news, sent 3 cables to Larry and 2 to Dee, including this one with a plug turned down to fit an iphone
smily_headphones1.gif
:

IMG_2434.jpg

I still have a few more to make and send but everyone on the list to try one should have something within 2 weeks.

Steve

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #2,900 of 3,902
Well, im back. I love the cable. Love the techflex, but the top part is a bit stiff and i am always scared i will break the wires at the top.

I can hear a difference though surprisingly, but i don't like the change unfortunately... I would love to try more of them though to strengthen my beliefs on cables, and what i can hear, but i cant afford any of these unfortunately
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Great work though Steve. If i could try some more i would be very happy, but either way i will be sending the cable back whenever you want it, i can send it Tues/Weds if you would like, get back to me.

Matt

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #2,901 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, im back. I love the cable. Love the techflex, but the top part is a bit stiff and i am always scared i will break the wires at the top.

I can hear a difference though surprisingly, but i don't like the change unfortunately... I would love to try more of them though to strengthen my beliefs on cables, and what i can hear, but i cant afford any of these unfortunately
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Great work though Steve. If i could try some more i would be very happy, but either way i will be sending the cable back whenever you want it, i can send it Tues/Weds if you would like, get back to me.

Matt

Are you holding back on posting what changes you hear, so you don't cloud the judgement of the rest of the testers who will have them soon (or cause us to pre-judge the cables)?

Which cable do you have that you don't like?

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #2,902 of 3,902
I got my Livewires finally. This is my first custom IEM, so I'm really amazed at "locked in place" feeling
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds are good, but less bass and transparency than Triple.fi at this time. I hope they would be improved by burn-in.

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #2,903 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you holding back on posting what changes you hear, so you don't cloud the judgement of the rest of the testers who will have them soon (or cause us to pre-judge the cables)?

Which cable do you have that you don't like?

Yes, both really. I am such a newb in some ways, i don't wanna make wrong judgements and cause people to buy the wrong cable etc. I will post my finding after the first person
tongue.gif

I think i have the stranded silver one. The most portable, but i find the top section to not be very flexible and a bit stiff. Feels brittle. Maybe that's just me worrying! Steven has more flexible ones but they are more fragile... I just find the effect on sound negative to my likings.

So who am i sending this beautifully made cable on to, or is it going straight back to you Steven?

Matt

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #2,904 of 3,902
@Headphoneaddict: I'm pretty sure that you've posted on here about your experience with the Livewires and different amps? I'm currently in the market for a good amp that will double as a DAC b/c I'm planning on buying a new set of cans to upgrade my SR60s and I want to be able to drive them properly. I would also like to make the best decision possible for my livewires so as make them shine as much as possible :) That being the case, do you have any suggestions for me? I was looking at the predator and iBasso D2, and would love to go with the D2 (for my cowon D2, haha) due to the cheaper price tag, but am unsure if the increase in quality bumping up to the Predator would be noticeable to my ears. Is it more of a subtle upgrade or is it drastically different? Thanks for any help you can give, and please feel free to offer any suggestions.

p.s. I would like the amp to have DAC capabilities to that I can listen to FLAC files off of my comp through it. Incidentally I have a question about these amp/DAC devices: do they recquire an additional amp when in use as a DAC, or do they function as both a DAC and an AMP consecutively?

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #2,905 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do they recquire an additional amp when in use as a DAC, or do they function as both a DAC and an AMP consecutively?

Yes.

A DAC/Amp will not need an amp, but my sound better with an additional amp when used with a cheap DAC/Amp. A DAC alone like an Alien DAC does need an amp as well, in a separate box.

Matt

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #2,906 of 3,902
Quote:

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the feedback, are you sure you had the samme seal when trying both cables?

I will send you something else with a different wire that sounds different, in the way you mentioned you like in your PM
wink.gif

I appreciate not mentioning it here so as not to influence other people. Of course it's good to get your impressions and I'd love you to post what you wrote to me once a few more people have heard the cables for themselves.

In other news, I have a lot of unanswered PMs I will get to tonight (including Ian
wink.gif
) but I opened a heap and my browser crashed now I lost them.

If you've PM'd and don't hear from me in 24 hours from now, please try again!

Thanks,

Steve

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #2,907 of 3,902
So I have been watching the Nine Inch Nails - The Slip DVD. It's their rehearsals and it looks like Trent is using Livewires. His IEM are all black and I can't see the gold connector but it sure looks like they are Livewires with a black faceplate. The rest of the band members look like they are using UE11Pro.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9672/trent02ta9.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7568/trent01ak7.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6...ummer03ik6.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6...ummer02ar5.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1...ummer01ui5.jpg

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #2,910 of 3,902
Quote:

Ok, that would be great Steven
biggrin.gif
(Sorry, I missed the post office today, hopefully if the school bus isn't too late tomorrow I will make it!)

And none of those look like LW's IMO. The first are not UE, but not LW's, connector is too high IMO.

Matt

yeah after watching the dvd they have the black faceplate like LW but the connector looks more like a Freq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back