Livewires - California Dreamin'
Jul 23, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #2,746 of 3,902
Wow...I finally finished catching up on this 275-page thread. Yay!

I went to get my ear impressions done by John Diles himself and I'm about to join the Red/Blue/Black team. I hope I don't have fit problems... But if I do I live about a hour away by public transportation.
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #2,747 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, what do I do with my $185 ALO Jumbo Cryo Silver X LOD, or my $60 barqy silk insulater 99.9 silver LOD, or my $40 S2 Audio silver plated copper LOD, etc...?

I think Belkin or someone is going to have an adapter that converts your source from firewire power to USB power to make it work. I'm not sure how that will affect sq, however.

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #2,748 of 3,902
Quote:

Well, what do I do with my $185 ALO Jumbo Cryo Silver X LOD, or my $60 barqy silk insulater 99.9 silver LOD, or my $40 S2 Audio silver plated copper LOD, etc...?

I'm sure that they'll come out with the new connectors soon as well. You could probably ask the cable makers to change the connectors into the new ones. However, I would prefer to just keep on using your iMod, I don't know how good the iPhone is.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #2,750 of 3,902
Quote:

Well, after trying the LOD at the ATT store Sunday, I decided to pass on the iPhone will they add cut and paste to the PIM, browser and email too.

Yeah, copy and paste is a feature that annoys a lot of people; me included. However, I needed the push e-mail for work and really like the way the iPod Touch works, so it was an obvious jump. I'm not trying to push it on you or anything.

Btw: I ordered a Headstage Lyrix yesterday based on your portable amp synergy thread! Thanks!

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #2,751 of 3,902
OK, as per tradition, here are the pics! Excuse the quality, I'm not much of a photographer and they were taken with the iPhone 3G's camera. Enjoy!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

My hair was pulled back in this pic, so excuse the weirdness.

5.jpg

THIS is more like how it looks in a regular environment.

6.jpg

And, exactly how they will look in public with the cable hidden by my hair and under my shirt.

7.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed! Sorry for the quality!

Edit: Sorry! I uploaded these to my MobileMe account which doesn't do the display thing. Now updated with Photobucket images.

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #2,754 of 3,902
Ok, so I got an appointment to get my impressions done on Tuesday. I have looked around at several of the different custom IEM manufacturer's websites and they seem to have different instructions for the audiologist. Livewires says to make the impressions making sure that you open and close your mouth a few times. Others say to make the impressions using a bite block with your mouth open about an inch, making sure that you DONT open and close your mouth.

So, my question is - those of you who have great fits - what was the technique for your impressions? And those of you who have less than desirable fits - what was the technique for your impressions? I would guess that most of you did not get fit by John himself. If this question has been asked and answered before, please forgive me, but it seems like a semi-important question - yes?

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #2,755 of 3,902
Quote:

I'm not much of a photographer and they were taken with the iPhone 3G's camera. Enjoy!

I'm surprised you didn't have them modify your iPhone cable for you. I've seen their modded iPhone cables where they basically chop off the iBuds and put Livewires connectors on there. That way you can still use the microphone.

Quote:

So, my question is - those of you who have great fits - what was the technique for your impressions?

To be honest I have no clue why LW recommends opening and closing your mouth multiple times. I would imagine the impression would set on whichever setting you had your mouth in when it hardened.

I used a relaxed jaw when John took my impressions. It wasn't wide open, but it wasnt shut tight either. There was some space between my upper and lower teeth.

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #2,756 of 3,902
I have rekindled my love for my LW's. Been using them with my Pico and StevenKelby's awesome cable and yeah, despite the fit issue I still have
smily_headphones1.gif

I really suggest all the LW bigwigs look at investing in a cable from SK, really worth it IMHO.

Will try and take some action shots this weekend
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #2,758 of 3,902
I had open and closed done, but once they have hardened before you take them out you open then close many times anyway. Dont know which set they used, but my fit is great, could do with slightly more isolation though, so slightly tighter, but hey.

Black is optional, and it chips off. I should have left them gold and done them myself as soon as i got them...

Looking foward to getting to test a few SK cables! Any eta Steven?

Anytime in the next 3weeks before i go away for two? *wishes*

Matt

Jul 25, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #2,759 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaRKle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised you didn't have them modify your iPhone cable for you. I've seen their modded iPhone cables where they basically chop off the iBuds and put Livewires connectors on there. That way you can still use the microphone.

I originally bought my LWs a month before the iPhone 3G came out, so I didn't have that as an option. It's not an issue, until the adapter for a firewire-based dock connector comes out, my primary listening device will be the iPod Touch. I'm also considering getting an iPod Classic so ALL my music can go on there and all the good selective stuff can go on the iPhone. I haven't decided yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thought their cable connectors were black now though?

If they've done that, it's happened in the last month. Baines93/Matt's are black; I'd ask him if he personally requested them that way. I'm still disappointed in how the tan backs look on it. The purpose is to hide them in your head, but it just looks ugly. So, I'm considering either getting black backs put in (ANOTHER month or so) or seeing if there's a way to get black backs with red on the right and clear on the other. Who knows where I'm going to go with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back