Livewires - California Dreamin'
May 5, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #2,191 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The number of drivers is completely irrelevant. You can easily have a single armature IEM beating a dual armature earphone. Like for example Sleek-Audio SA6 vs. Westone UM2. You cannot say one is better than the other just based on the number of armatures they house.

I wouldn't say its completely irrelevant. It's only logical that separating lows, mids and highs would achieve a far different result than a single driver, and a discernible result from a dual-driver. That is, of course, assuming all are constructed and tuned properly, which both the Livewires and the Freq's are, according to posters here.

May 5, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #2,192 of 3,902
Well if two drivers have this amazing bass, mids and highs, imagine the great all-round-ness of a 3-4 driver earphone, especially a custom!

Still havnt had a reply from John about my fit. I think i will wait until they are less busy, as then John wont mind squeezing the pair i got free in for re-dip.

Mmmmm, D2 & Livewires = [size=x-large][/size][size=x-large][/size][size=x-large][/size][size=x-large][/size][size=x-large][/size][size=x-large][/size][size=x-large][/size][size=x-large][/size][size=x-large]♥ [size=x-small]haha!

[/size][size=x-small]Cant wait to get sound out of my laptops usb with the u control, on the way.[/size]
[size=x-small]
Looking foward to getting my 2nd and 3rd 8gb sd's, then i can carry ALL my music! Cant shuffle it all though
frown.gif
Seperate cards. *Waits impatiently for rockbox.*[/size]

[/size] Matt

May 5, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #2,193 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The number of drivers is completely irrelevant. You can easily have a single armature IEM beating a dual armature earphone. Like for example Sleek-Audio SA6 vs. Westone UM2. You cannot say one is better than the other just based on the number of armatures they house.

I agree with this somewhat. When you start adding crossover points into the frequency there can be problems such as phase shift at the x-over points causing a peak or a dip in the freq. I have some SF-3s that have a smoother response than my LiveWires, and how I know this is I have checked the two with an audio spectrum analyzer in my studio.

This is the same as PA systems, as you have different drivers producing the different frequency ranges for a higher total spl output.

May 6, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #2,196 of 3,902
I just find it hard to believe an ER4P can kill a Livewires, unless the fit is not good. Not because it is a single driver, but because of all the descriptions of the ER4P sound reads to me like they are lacking something the Livewires have - bass.

In terms of making music as a whole, my Livewires T1 beat my SE530 and Triple.fi 10 Pro, as well as my IM716 with podectomy, ER6i, Denon C700, Super.fi 5 Pro, SE310, E4c (borrowed from my friend that bought them from me) and any other IEM I have owned.

Now, MANY of those above are very musical and enjoyable, but the Livewires simply disappear and leave an open window into the music without veil or coloration. The only thing I've heard that has the transparency, accuracy, and realism of the Livewires was the Westone 3 that I demo'd back in September. I loved the Westone 3 as they also had a little more bass impact, and with the Comply tips they were very comfortable. However, I think the Westone 3 were a little brighter in the 4Khz range which on occasion could make my ears resonate at louder volumes. So, the Livewires may actually be a little smoother, based on my memory (which I am sure will be called into question and criticized, as is the nature of head-Fi). Once the Westone 3 are available they will also cost $150 more than the Livewires, so you get what you pay for.

One more thing I should add. I was more disappointed with my SE530 that I kept than I was with the triple.fi 10 Pro that I traded towards electrostats. The SE530 highs were slightly rolled off, and while changing tips could boost the highs it could also either hurt the bass or could add un-natural coloration to the upper mids lower treble. I also broke a nozzle tip off too easily once, and SE530 have a history of their cable self-destructing without being abused. However, when using the Black foam tips they were more comfortable to my ears, and they were more transparent and uncolored than Triple.fi 10 Pro. The Triple.fi 10 Pro seemed to have an upper bass coloration that sounded similar to an small acoustic suspension speaker box that was the wrong size. It destroyed the transparency for me.

May 6, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #2,197 of 3,902
Hi HeadphoneAddict, can you please reiterate what you said a few weeks/months ago with comparing high-end Grado cans to Livewires? I've tried searching for your exact posts, but haven't come up with them.
redface.gif

Iirc though, you said you preferred the Livewires to your Grado RS-2 with the APS V3 cable installed, right?

TIA.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #2,198 of 3,902
hrmm Grado like sound eh? Now I'm leaning more towards these than the FreqShows, not to mention these are quite a bit cheaper as well

May 6, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #2,199 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of making music as a whole, my Livewires T1 beat my SE530 and Triple.fi 10 Pro, as well as my IM716 with podectomy, ER6i, Denon C700, Super.fi 5 Pro, SE310, E4c (borrowed from my friend that bought them from me) and any other IEM I have owned.

Did you ever wonder if it's maybe the custom-factor that makes it superior and more transparent than all those other IEMs? It's one thing that powertoold keeps pushing about the SuperFreQs, the fact that they're custom and no other IEM can seem to compare when it's a custom.

Ray Samuels also said that the Westone 3 sounded like it was custom-built for his ears, so that could be one exception (a long delayed exception
tongue.gif
).

I now wonder how close the SuperFreQ/FreQShow sound to the Westone 3 prototype. It seems like the FreQShow may be more transparent than the SuperFreQ, but no one has both to compare yet.

May 6, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #2,201 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you ever wonder if it's maybe the custom-factor that makes it superior and more transparent than all those other IEMs? It's one thing that powertoold keeps pushing about the SuperFreQs, the fact that they're custom and no other IEM can seem to compare when it's a custom.

Ray Samuels also said that the Westone 3 sounded like it was custom-built for his ears, so that could be one exception (a long delayed exception
tongue.gif
).

I now wonder how close the SuperFreQ/FreQShow sound to the Westone 3 prototype. It seems like the FreQShow may be more transparent than the SuperFreQ, but no one has both to compare yet.

You only quoted part of my post #2201, but right below that part I talked about the Westone 3 being the only universal IEM I feel is just as transparent.

As for whether a custom is more transparent than a universal, my SE530 in a custom shell are more transparent than when they were a universal IEM, but my IM716 with custom podectomy are very transparent too. Interestingly, the SE530 in a custom shell have slightly less bass than my Livewires, and sound very similar otherwise. I still prefer the Livewires most.

May 6, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #2,202 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiyako /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WELCOME back! Dear Kosmic!
HOw's your livewires? been bringing them out during trips?
biggrin.gif

Hi Tiyako,

I have been doing a lot of travelling. I now actually look forward to making my journey with my Livewires. I try to match my music with the type of landscape, and scenic route I'm going through.

With Livewires that makes an interesting, and sometimes awesome audio-visual experience.

I just hate it when the air stewardess prods me because I have to remove them for landing!
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #2,204 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You only quoted part of my post #2201, but right below that part I talked about the Westone 3 being the only universal IEM I feel is just as transparent.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. I only quoted part of it because I felt the post was too long to quote the entire thing.
tongue.gif

I was mentioning Ray Samuels' observations in correlation with the theory that customs are inherently better sounding than universals, with the Westone 3 being an exception because Ray Samuels himself said it sounded like a custom (which is the only universal you've heard that can compare in transparency). It's hard to explain my thought process in my post, but believe me, I read your entire post.
wink.gif

If the Westone 3 and the Shure SE530 with custom tips are the only things that sound that transparent, it's becoming more apparent that the custom-factor is becoming increasingly significant. It's a great thing that new companies are offering customs at much more affordable prices.

May 6, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #2,205 of 3,902
livewires will be here today. I will tell you guys how they fit and if the sound got better and or if they fixed what was wrong with them beforee..
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back