Live from New Jersey, Meet Impressions!
Mar 1, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #106 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I agree. I'm not sure I would take a G08 over the SCD-1. Especially considering the relative costs.

I think there is going to be a G08 vs. SCD-1 comparo very very soon....
wink.gif

Btw, bozebuttons, I FOUND IT: http://www.firstwatt.com

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #107 of 144
I probably won't finish my impressions all at once so I'll add in dribbles.

I came to the meet looking forward to having an AKG shootoff. In round 1, I plugged K701 into any jack that I could find.

Leonardo -> Dared 300B mono blocks -> ASL UHC Signature (speaker out to 1/4" jack convertor) -> K701

This was the first system I tried. Supposedly this source is pretty good but I've never heard it before so I didn't know what to expect. I heard the older version of the Dareds before and this was the new improved model. I heard the ASL unit before also and thought it was ok but I wouldn't really use such a convertor. I believe it's another transformer in the signal path. The K701 was stevio's with about 600 hours so he says.

The inner resolution of the system was pretty good and it was not offensive sounding. I couldn't really find anything wrong but for my own personal preferences, I would like more dynamics and spaciousness. There was nothing that stood out. With no point of reference, I quickly proceeded to try something else.

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #108 of 144
Guys, I'm missing my Annie Lennox BARE CD. Did anyone by accident grab it? (or did I leave it in one of the players?). PM me if you got it please!

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #109 of 144
next time i wanna go to one of these meets.

sounds sweet.

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #110 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
Guys, I'm missing my Annie Lennox BARE CD. Did anyone by accident grab it? (or did I leave it in one of the players?). PM me if you got it please!

You and I were using it at the end of the day in the G08 the the ES-1, no?

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #111 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker

The "Whoever electrocutes themselves first, wins" contest

CIMG0494.JPG

What CDP were these?

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #112 of 144
I believe the east sound and original. didn't they say they opened these previously? unfortunately i didn't take a look inside as i wasn't there at the moment.

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #113 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I believe the east sound and original. didn't they say they opened these previously? unfortunately i didn't take a look inside as i wasn't there at the moment.

It was a thrilling comparison, somewhere along the lines of

"Hey, check out this cheap Japanese transport in the Eastsound!"

"Hey, check out this cheap Japanese transport in the Original"

"Whoa, they're exactly the same transport!"

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #114 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
It was a thrilling comparison, somewhere along the lines of

"Hey, check out this cheap Japanese transport in the Eastsound!"

"Hey, check out this cheap Japanese transport in the Original"

"Whoa, they're exactly the same transport!"

Haha, really?

I'd be really scared, taking apart expensive CDPs like that. I can't bring myself to take the pads off of my portaPros yet.
eek.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #115 of 144
Quote:

You and I were using it at the end of the day in the G08 the the ES-1, no?

Yeah, I'm wondering if steveio's CD is really my BARE CD (though he said it was "step up" or something like that)...

Mar 2, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #116 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
Haha, really?

I'd be really scared, taking apart expensive CDPs like that. I can't bring myself to take the pads off of my portaPros yet.
eek.gif

It was 4 screws. The Original is easily accessible because it has a tube output stage (besides the SS) so you need to open it to tube roll.

Also, Raisin needed to open his because a CD fell out of the transport on the way to the meeting (which is why it was opened in the first place).

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #117 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
Yeah, I'm wondering if steveio's CD is really my BARE CD (though he said it was "step up" or something like that)...

No that was my Dave Mathews Standup Cd that was in the GO8,Stevieo got that back to me today.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #118 of 144
Quote:

By the way Raisin, speaking of drizzled chocolate, you are not the only one who had stomach distress from that diner. The next morning I had a very small case of the Hershey squirts (sorry for the illustrative analogy guys), but it quickly passed.
eek.gif

Sounds like you guys all had a great time (except for the post meet eats)! I can't wait for the National Meet, and yes, we may be able to do the online thing for that - I just need an Internet Connection at the meet location; if none available, I'll use a Verizon EV-DO Card.

Hershey squirts???!!! Didn't anyone look at my map for a listing of SteveSurf's approved dining? Geez. Old Man Rafferty's has the most awesome desserts, with the sole exception of Aaron's wife Telica's Famous Brownies. I hope to someday get the recipie and make a slight modification to have a Brownie-generated Vision Quest
icon10.gif

...and with that, the insomnia continues.

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #120 of 144
Quote:

We will have free Wi-Fi access at the meet.

Thank g-d, it will give me something to do on Saturday while I nurse my hangover from the late night Bela Fleck show.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back