Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Sep 3, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #2,746 of 13,435
archive.org is an excellent starting point for public domain books on electronics, tubes and tube circuitry. Any number of "bundlers" have put together outstanding DVD collections of public domain and long out of print electronics books, and they are on eBay and elsewhere. If you want a detailed list, email me privately.

Personally, I am using the NEETS (Navy Electricity and Electronics Training Series) from 1998 as primary reference and supplementing it out of memory (I covered these materials in 1977-1978 when I was in the Navy and tube gear was still king) or with RCA and other tube engineering handbooks. NEETS is available free from a Fleet Reserve website. The modules assume you know nothing at all and proceed from that into practical engineering and equipment operation.

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #2,748 of 13,435
I received today a pair of matched Tesla 6F32-6AK5

Now i'm burnin in 

Received  Telefunken EH900S EH91 and Lorenz ITT 6AV6 EBC91 but my Pro'skit cutter is not until now dispached, so i must wait.

First impression about Tesla,that seems don't need burn in, unstrapped and EF95 configuration : with my Alessandro MSPRO sounds great from the beginnig, bass dry and fast under control and sound clear and trasparent, a little bit bright for someone but not for my musical taste.
Seems a monitor sound, soundstage is weak but....medium and highs refined and detailed.
Seems that vocalist is singing in front of you.

This is sound that i love : bass under control, highs clean and sound open !!

I remember to all that is my first pair of tubes ( no considering the stock tubes with LD I+), and that my opinion can change after burn in and don't forget that i'm a novice.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #2,749 of 13,435

Telefunken EH900S/5915 ( EF95 config ) sounds different from Tesla, more soundstage and more details, mids and highs are very clean and extended ,my surprise in that bass aren't too strong for my hears.
More hight grade of trasparence .
For my opinion sounds great without cutting pins, but i haven't tryed with pins 1-7 cutted, i don't think that i will try.

Lorenz 6AV6 don't sound without cut pins, so i must wait
mad.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #2,750 of 13,435
Quote:
I just got my mkIV SE and i realized my right 6n6p-IR glows slightly brighter than my left one? any answers? i switched the tubes as well and it seems its the tube itself that glows brighter weird...

Has the brighter one more of the heaters visible outside of the cathode sleeves? That could explain the difference and would be just cosmetic.

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #2,751 of 13,435
Quote:
I received today a pair of matched Tesla 6F32-6AK5

Now i'm burnin in 

Received  Telefunken EH900S EH91 and Lorenz ITT 6AV6 EBC91 but my Pro'skit cutter is not until now dispached, so i must wait.

First impression about Tesla,that seems don't need burn in, unstrapped and EF95 configuration : with my Alessandro MSPRO sounds great from the beginnig, bass dry and fast under control and sound clear and trasparent, a little bit bright for someone but not for my musical taste.
Seems a monitor sound, soundstage is weak but....medium and highs refined and detailed.
Seems that vocalist is singing in front of you.

This is sound that i love : bass under control, highs clean and sound open !!

I remember to all that is my first pair of tubes ( no considering the stock tubes with LD I+), and that my opinion can change after burn in and don't forget that i'm a novice.

Heres a link for date codes for tesla 6F32          http://tubes-store.com/article_info.php?articles_id=5 Looks like year 1955

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #2,752 of 13,435
Thank's Michelap

i have made a change, and i have a big problem.

Tried Lorenz tubes with 408A configuration ( removed jumpers from j1 e j2, and k1/k2 switchies to the central pin and pin to the side marked 408A, ed immediately i see smoke coming out from electronic card side ).

I'm lucky to have seen it within some seconds and turn ampli off !!

Question : is this EF95 set ?

I don't understand why happened, and now i have fear to make test
confused_face.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #2,753 of 13,435
Quote:
Thank's Michelap

i have made a change, and i have a big problem.

Tried Lorenz tubes with 408A configuration ( removed jumpers from j1 e j2, and k1/k2 switchies to the central pin and pin to the side marked 408A, ed immediately i see smoke coming out from electronic card side ).

I'm lucky to have seen it within some seconds and turn ampli off !!

Question : is this EF95 set ?

I don't understand why happened, and now i have fear to make test
confused_face.gif

408A tubes have 20 volt heaters. Your Lorenz has 6.3 volt heaters. So you just put 20 volts into a tube designed for 6.3 volts! Please consult page 77 to see how to use tubes in your amp. You must follow these guidelines, or you might kill your tubes, or worse, kill your amp.

Again, the Lorenz must be used in the EF92 setting with pins 5 and 6 cut off. It will not work any other way!

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #2,754 of 13,435
Quote:

408A tubes have 20 volt heaters. Your Lorenz has 6.3 volt heaters. So you just put 20 volts into a tube designed for 6.3 volts! Please consult page 77 to see how to use tubes in your amp. You must follow these guidelines, or you might kill your tubes, or worse, kill your amp.

Again, the Lorenz must be used in the EF92 setting with pins 5 and 6 cut off. It will not work any other way!

this is for what amp gibosi and where do you see this on page 77and those run with pins 5 and 6 cutoff never saw that hmmm.!

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #2,755 of 13,435
Quote:
this is for what amp gibosi and where do you see this on page 77and those run with pins 5 and 6 cutoff never saw that hmmm.!

The LD 1+ has the ability to run 408A tubes. as well as EF92 and EF95. 408A tubes are essentially EF95 tubes with 20 volt heaters.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_408a.html

The Lorenz are 6AV6/EBC91 tubes. Therefore, we need to set the amp up in the EF92 configuration and cut off pins 5 and 6, as indicated on page 77.

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #2,756 of 13,435

Quote:

The LD 1+ has the ability to run 408A tubes. as well as EF92 and EF95. 408A tubes are essentially EF95 tubes with 20 volt heaters.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_408a.html

The Lorenz are 6AV6/EBC91 tubes. Therefore, we need to set the amp up in the EF92 configuration and cut off pins 5 and 6, as indicated on page 77.

gibosi you said to cutoff pins 5 and 6 which is right i just saw on page 77 it is written on top EF91-92+CUTOFF AND TAPE PINS 5&7 thats not right !

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #2,758 of 13,435
Quote:

Yes, this is a mistake. Acapella11 maintains this chart, so I will send him a PM. 

Good thing i always go with my picture when cutting .                                                                                                             

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #2,760 of 13,435
Get em while they're hot guy's!

Vacuum Tube Valley DIY Tube magazine.
Publisher ceased to exist and now the complete set is available for download.

A 20 Volume Set.
http://tinyurl.com/nshl92k

I am grabbing it now and the site is slow, so for those who want to wait I can Drop Box it for you when it's done.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back