Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jul 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #1,831 of 13,432
Quote:

Still waiting on them, they're probably at my post office waiting for a signature.

I'll throw a pic up once i get them.

Great, thanks!

In the meantime, here are some pics of all the heptodes I've been testing in the last weeks (including boxes when relevant):

The Telefunken 5915/EH900S made by Sylvania in the US of A in 1977, aka Tele/vanias 5915, with the Bundeswehr West German military "eagle". Probably my second best tubes at this point.

The Telefunken boxes -they look nice and genuine don't they?- with part of the military tags.

The "real" Telefunken EH900S, actually made by Telefunken in Ulm, Germany, in 1975, and with gold pins -not that it matters.

The -atypical- Telefunken boxes the tubes came in, just for reference.

The Philips E91H, made and labeled for IBM in Heerlen, Holland, D-getter, 1960. Probably my third best tubes at this point.

The Haltron, made by Siemens, CV453 (one tube labeled CV453, other 6BE6/CV453), aka Haltmens EK90 or Haltmens CV453, made sometime, somwhere. Note the dark getter flash, thick ribs on the plate and the holes next to the the fold on the plate (also number on the base); these look exactly like genuine Siemens EH90, so the probability of a Siemens origin is very high. Not that it matters anyway; these are my best tubes yet -and that's unburnt-in!

The colorful Haltron boxes the tubes came, with CV453 labels and neither 6BE6 nor EK90.

The other -yeah, I wasn't going to run the risk of a dead tube ordering, like, the last pair of Siemens EK90 in the world lol- Haltron, made by Siemens, 6BE6, aka Haltmens EK90 v2 or Haltmens 6BE6, made, yet again, sometime somewhere... Note how different these are from the other pair of Haltmens with different labels (both tubes are labeled 6BE6 and nothing else), thin ribs on the plate, more "clear" appearance and getter flash, and still the holes next to the plate fold (and still a number at the base); Siemens origin again seems like a given here. Apart from the holes close to the plate fold, these are virtually identical to the genuine Siemens EK90 seen on pics in this thread. I have yet to even test these, but I'd at least like to know which of my two pairs is the more recent production, for reference.

The boxes the second pair of Haltmens came in, very different from the other boxes; don't these look "older"?

And finally, the Telefunken EK90, made by Telefunken in Ulm in 1973. Untested.

Typical Telefunken boxes these came in; smaller than my other Tele boxes though.

Just for feedback on heptodes up to here, and different strapping techniques:
- Tele/vanias 5915: unstrapped = excellent (natural and good ambiance, great soundstage, a bit tube-y compared to 1-7), 1-7 strapped = excellent (awesome soundstage and detail, feeling of "being there", a bit thinner than unstrapped)
- Telefunken EH900S: unstrapped = very good, best setting (a bit forward, pretty detailed, interesting house sound), 1-7 strapped = pretty good (too forward "in your face", a bit bright and fatiguing)
- Philips IBM E91H: unstrapped = excellent, best setting (natural and cozy signature, detailed, good soundstage), 1-7 strapped = very good (same as unstrapped but brighter and more fatiguing, less natural and a bit thin), 2-7 strapped = pretty good (less thin than 1-7, less focus than unstrapped, much I like is lost on that setting, worst out of the three)
- Haltmens CV453 (Siemens EK90): unstrapped = glorious, best and only good setting (natural and realistic soundstage and detail, great focus and sense being there, outrageously engaging), 2-7 strapped = pretty good (almost all of what I like unstrapped disappears, more blurry, much less focus, not as natural, and also brighter and fatiguing)

I'm trying to like the 2-7 setting -I really am- but I can't... I keep trying, it gives different results for each tubes, and it makes somewhat sense to "neutralize" grid 3 by cathode strapping, but it always turns out to sound worse than the two other setting -or just the basic unstrapped setting- so I think I'll stop burning up my tubes sockets with that mod, at least until a few people encourage me to try again.

1-7 strap, though losing in favor for some tube type like the 6BE6, still sound great on some 6BY6 tubes imo; the strapped 5915 are very very good!

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,832 of 13,432
Quote:
I'm trying to like the 2-7 setting -I really am- but I can't... I keep trying, it gives different results for each tubes, and it makes somewhat sense to "neutralize" grid 3 by cathode strapping, but it always turns out to sound worse than the two other setting -or just the basic unstrapped setting- so I think I'll stop burning up my tubes sockets with that mod, at least until a few people encourage me to try again.

1-7 strap, though losing in favor for some tube type like the 6BE6, still sound great on some 6BY6 tubes imo; the strapped 5915 are very very good!

I very much like the 2-7 strap on on 6GX6, 6EW6, and 6BY6.

been using the RCA 6BY6 on the 1-7 strap for a few days and really liking it.

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,833 of 13,432
Quote:
The Telefunken 5915/EH900S made by Sylvania in the US of A in 1977, aka Tele/vanias 5915, with the Bundeswehr West German military "eagle". Probably my second best tubes at this point.

Just for feedback on heptodes up to here, and different strapping techniques:
- Tele/vanias 5915: unstrapped = excellent (natural and good ambiance, great soundstage, a bit tube-y compared to 1-7), 1-7 strapped = excellent (awesome soundstage and detail, feeling of "being there", a bit thinner than unstrapped)

While the Tele/vanias seem to be very difficult to find, it is possible to find Sylvania 5915 without much trouble. And if you were to wipe the paint off, they would be identical. These appear to be 1960s vintage and I picked them up for about $10.50, including shipping, so quite affordable for those of us in North America. An extremely fine tube for not much money. :)

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,834 of 13,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab1376 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I very much like the 2-7 strap on on 6GX6, 6EW6, and 6BY6.
been using the RCA 6BY6 on the 1-7 strap for a few days and really liking it.

Quote:
- Telefunken EH900S: unstrapped = very good, best setting (a bit forward, pretty detailed, interesting house sound), 1-7 strapped = pretty good (too forward "in your face", a bit bright and fatiguing)

OK, it must be that these tubes sound different even though they are from the same manufacturer. I just received my Telefunken EH900S (gold pins as well) made in Ulm. They have written "Made in Germany" on them. And what no one said so far - these are "bass monsters". More detailed descriptions have to wait. They sound initially great, interesting house sound - yes. =D

The tubes slowly clear up. This needs a later update.

With respect to the 2/7-strap: Every system sounds different and likes also vary. If you don't like it, it's fine, you are not obliged to use it. At least for one tube (posted earlier) I can confirm it is definitely the best of the straps in my ears.

I also got some Telefunken EH90 (Ulm, Made in Germany), which straight from the box sound like a brighter (at the moment the EH900S are definitely not too bright) and more forward version of the EH900S.

Edit: corrected the EH90 brand, thanks gibosi.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #1,836 of 13,432
Listening to the new Daft Punk Album on vinyl with my "haltmens" that just came in today.

Absolutely sublime! Can't wait for my new Ortofon 2m Blue cartridge to come in this week!

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,837 of 13,432
Quote:
Listening to the new Daft Punk Album on vinyl with my "haltmens" that just came in today.

Absolutely sublime! Can't wait for my new Ortofon 2m Blue cartridge to come in this week!

Did you get the "Haltmens" 6BE6 in the white boxes? The CV453 in the multicolored boxes? Or something different?

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #1,839 of 13,432
Quote:

Did you get the "Haltmens" 6BE6 in the white boxes? The CV453 in the multicolored boxes? Or something different?

The 6BE6 in the white box, Haltron branded.

...and damn to they sound good with some Chili Peppers through my Ultrasone's!

Quote:

What 6AU6 brands/makes to people like? The one pair of GE 6AU6A that I Finally tested had some bad microphonics. I'd like to get another to try, I saw some pricy Sylvania and RCA tubes on ebay. Not sure why a pair pf RCA 6AU6A would go for $48, and a pair of Sylvania with gold pins for $28.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #1,840 of 13,432
Quote:
What 6AU6 brands/makes to people like? The one pair of GE 6AU6A that I Finally tested had some bad microphonics. I'd like to get another to try, I saw some pricy Sylvania and RCA tubes on ebay. Not sure why a pair pf RCA 6AU6A would go for $48, and a pair of Sylvania with gold pins for $28.

I have Sylvania JAN 6AU6WB/WC and a pair of Mazdas on the way from NOS TubeStore. Those prices are silly: I paid $8 ea. for the Mazdas, $4 for the Sylvanias.

Not even sure if I should have ordered them now that my TLF EK90s have burnt in (yes, 40-50 hours). Another heptode convert here. But I'll report back and compare them with Tung-Sol 6AH6WA.

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #1,841 of 13,432
Quote:

I would recommend both the GE and Westinghouse 8425/6AU6. Also, I believe that link above for "4 x 6AU6A (=8425A) Tube Made by RCA (USA). TESTED" is misleading. These are not 8425A. They are just standard 6AU6A tubes, nothing special. To my knowledge, RCA did not manufacture 8425 tubes. However, they did manufacture a premium 6136 (Command) tube. Their Command series tubes are similar in quality to the Sylvania Gold Brand 6136.

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #1,842 of 13,432
Quote:

The 6BE6 in the white box, Haltron branded.

...and damn to they sound good with some Chili Peppers through my Ultrasone's!

Glad to hear you like the Haltmens!

As for good 6AU6 tubes, I found that the Mullard Blackburn made EF94 were also very nice. Different and warmer (more "English-sounding" as silly as it sounds) than the good American brands and definitely high grade tubes; very nice for people that like a bit of tubeyness. Otherwise, the 8425A tubes are the best American 6AU6 I've tested. From what I read, 6AU6 are actually known for being prone to microphonics, among which many American brands (I'm not saying it, Google is), hence the hard to find low-noise US 7543 tube. As gibosi said, 6136 tubes were also made pretty high-spec compared to consumer level 6AU6 tubes.

Of course, then there's the whole world of 6AH6/6485 tubes too...

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #1,843 of 13,432

Ive been burning in my G.E 6av6 they have maybe 6 hours ont them compared to the 6av6 HitRay's that have maybe 15 hours  with the Senns and the same tune as always and to the best of my knowledge the Hit Ray's are bassier (you got to remember its the kind of bass you get with Senns not Denons) but with a little less treble and the G.E. have less bass a bit more treble soundstage is more or less the same there is not big difference between them as a matter of fact i had to switch them several times to see a difference if you guys have impressions i would like to here them also probably with  more burnin they will change i guess.other 6av6 impressions to come.EDIT: MADE A  MISTAKE WAS BURNIG IN G.E. TUBES NOT WESTINGHOUSE SORRY.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #1,844 of 13,432
Quote:
Ive been burning in my Westinghouse 6av6 they have maybe 6 hours ont them compared to the 6av6 HitRay's that have maybe 15 hours  with the Senns and the same tune as always and to the best of my knowledge the Hit Ray's are bassier (you got to remember its the kind of bass you get with Senns not Denons) but with a little less treble and the Westinghouse have less bass a bit more treble soundstage is more or less the same there is not big difference between them as a matter of fact i had to switch them several times to see a difference if you guys have impressions i would like to here them also probably with  more burnin they will change i guess.other 6av6 impressions to come.

This is good to know. However, I have not heard the Westinghouse or the Hit Ray, so I will wait for your impressions of the RCA, Sylvania and GE to learn more. :)

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,845 of 13,432
Quote:

This is good to know. However, I have not heard the Westinghouse or the Hit Ray, so I will wait for your impressions of the RCA, Sylvania and GE to learn more. :)

Quote:

Well sorry guys but i made a mistake i was actually burning in G.E. NOT WESTINGHOUSE lettering is kind of erased sorry for the mix up will edit post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back