Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
May 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #1,321 of 13,434
Quote:
OK, I found one Raytheon blue glass 5654/EF95 tube. (Made in France by RT=Mullard)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-Raytheon-5654-EF95-tube-made-in-France-Black-plate-Blue-smocked-glass-/380415849529?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item58928d3439

I think the mystery is solved! As RTC was part of the Philips/Mullard group, it does appear that these blue 5654s were manufactured in one of their factories somewhere in Europe. Thanks! 

May 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #1,322 of 13,434
6AV6 Shootout

The two winners of my shootout are the GE and Mullard. Although to be truthful, the Sylvania and RCA were just too peaky in the highs for me, and didn't stand a chance. lol

The GE is just a bit brighter than the Mullard, but again I think this is mostly a matter of personal preference. I like both of these tubes very much, but if I have to choose, my old ears prefer the slightly softer Mullard.

Both the GE and the Mullard are "old world" tubes with D-getters. The GE are dated 1958 and the Mullard are dated either 1957 or 1967. The tube codes are B7A and B7B. The beginning B = Mullard Blackburn factory, 7 = year, and A or B = January or February. The fact that these appear to have been marketed expressly for sale in the US leads me to think 1967, but of course, this is just a WAG on my part.

Both of these triodes are a good bit brighter and more forward than the recent 6BE6/6BY6, or the CV4015, my favorite "traditional" tube. But with a lively, detailed and airy presentation, up-front vocals and a good solid bass, these are both very nice tubes. 

As seems typical with triodes, I think both of these are dryer than the best pentodes, such as the TS 6485 and the GE 8425, but for me they are not so dry that I can't enjoy them. And I think this is likely more a matter of preference, than a deficiency.

In the end, I enthusiastically recommend the 6AV6 tubes. They are fairly inexpensive, and like the 6AK5, the sound signature varies considerably among the various brands. While I prefer the GE and Mullard, I am sure others will prefer either the Sylvania and RCA, and there are a number of other brands out there to trial as well.

May 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #1,323 of 13,434
HI AFB,

You did review the Sylvania 8532 tubes and this is what you said (excerpts):
"Extremely detailed, thinner sounding and with less strong and clear-cut bass; drier and not as musical.... clinical precision."

I agree with all the above completely. After switching to a pair of Tung Sol 6CB6 tubes, I took a sigh of relief. It was like listening to a great sounding 78rpm analog recording that had been perfectly re-mastered, compared to a thin sounding digital CD recording.
The 8532 may have the most precise treble, but the mid range is thin and unfulfilling, and the bass is weak - not for me. I gave these tubes a fair chance with around 30 hours burn in, but now I have made up my mind. They may work well in a different system, but this is not my cup of tea.

The TS has a meaty punchy presentation with great bass and galaxical sound stage (A11 knows), and that suits me much better. Funny thing, when I first listened to the 6CB6 tubes I used the EF95 setting with the 2-7 strap and did not like the sound. Now I consulted the excellent chart (thanks Acapella11) and used the EF92 setting. What a difference! (BTW, just noticed the the TS tubes run quite hot.)

When I gather up enough energy I am going to gingerly change the jumpers to EF95 and put back my little 2-7 straps and go back to listening to the great 6AH6 and 6AU6 families. Wonder who is going to be the winner?

May 20, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #1,324 of 13,434
Hi G,

"The Sylvania and RCA were just too peaky in the highs for me and did not stand a chance."

Have you entertained the idea of introducing tone controls in your system? I find that I can make many bright tubes enjoyable by turning down the treble. Perhaps the ranking order would change if you had a pleasant treble?

If I remember correctly, there were posts that 6N6P power tubes would tame the highs as well.

May 21, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #1,325 of 13,434
Ok, after spending the last 3-4 days playing around with triodes, I am taking a break from them for a little bit, and letting my amp also take a break from burn-ins.

The CV5311 after 17-18h of burn-in (couldn't force myself to go any further...) showed some very nice characteristics, with some of the best upper end detail I've ever had, only bested in that regard by the Sylvania 8532W, cristal clear highs at any rate. The CV5311 were the least "dry" and "thin" of the triodes I tested, but still ultimately lacked those magical echo-like effects and the liquidity that make "tube realism" what it is and music magical and musical -like with the 6485 or the best pentodes. I am going to choose to just not grade the triodes like all the other tubes I tested, since I -and that's saying a lot- can't truly compare them to pentodes as they just sound so different, and almost feel like they were made for other purposes like monitoring instead of pleasure listening (i.e. extra-detailed and revealing and not necessarily musical). But they do work very well on some music genres and movies, since they make dialogues and sound effects very clear.

On a more general note, all the triodes I tested had some specific traits in common, which is weird, since they were from different countries, brands and types: slightly thin and dry as I've mentioned (mostly "un-wet" not always thin or fleshed-out), treble-oriented -or at least a bit mid-recessed since some had good bass- and quite forward (sounds that were meant to be in the background or just heard as random echoes kind of leap at you from the sidelines almost as loud as the singer or guitars, at first it sounds like extra detail but it just doesn't feel natural because it's all you notice).

So, although I really want to go back to the TS 6485 for few days, I still tested the different heptodes I got in the meantime. No 20 hour burn-in this time, as I don't believe it dramatically changes the sound or the nature of the tube, but merely lets it mature and improve, often massively (after 2-3h, I can virtually always tell if I, both, like a tube's signature, and whether or not it's worth my time, after 20-30h, I can be sure and also see if it's evolved a lot or not), and I just can't add 100s of hours of use on my amp just for the sake of burn-in...

Telefunken 5915/EH900S (6BY6), most likely Sylvania 5915 (think Sylvania JAN 5915) made for the German military -I hadn't paid attention to obvious mil tags on the boxes and eagle symbol on the tubes- and boxed by Telefunken, very nice tubes, open and forward sound, slightly mid-oriented (not treble-oriented at any rate) that somewhat reminds me of the 6GX6/6GY6. Ultimately, I find these to have the same "bring stuff from the background and throw it at your face as loud as the singer" effect that I just don't like that much as it makes music unnatural. If you love the 6GX6, you'd absolutely love those, as they sound similar but much better and less coarse. Less loud by a small margin than my typical tubes and comparable to a 6GX6 in that regard.

Brimar CV4012/5750/6BE6 (yes all three are written on the tube), different and more balanced the Tele/vanias above, less forward but still not as well voiced as my best pentodes. Nice large and deep soundstage, thick and heavy Brimar bass but much better that the other Brimar pentodes I'd tested when back when -would most likely improve quite a bit after burn-in. If you like cavernous, balanced and good separation that sounds natural but still close to you (though not forward like some of the previous tubes), you'd like those. Again, these have a little bit of that 6GX6 flavor that's so difficult to describe. Not sterile sounding at any rate, but more "analog" like I'd described the 6GX6. These are possibly the best of the recent batch, including the triodes, even though (or perhaps because) they don't have the most detail and sound the most "normal".

I actually have two pairs of the last tube type, if anyone's interested, as the Mullard 6BE6W I ordered turned out to be "Mullard" named but Brimar-made CV4012/6BE6W dual labeled. Actually, if anyone's interested in any of the tubes I've recently reviewed and don't seem to be actively using, don't hesitate to PM me, I have tons, and often more than one pair.

Next -and last for now- are my Pinnacle 6AV6/EBC91 that look like no tubes on google, but that can't be that old since their side-getter is an O-getter.

May 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,326 of 13,434
Quote:
Telefunken 5915/EH900S (6BY6), most likely Sylvania 5915 (think Sylvania JAN 5915) made for the German military -I hadn't paid attention to obvious mil tags on the boxes and eagle symbol on the tubes- and boxed by Telefunken, very nice tubes, open and forward sound, slightly mid-oriented (not treble-oriented at any rate) that somewhat reminds me of the 6GX6/6GY6. Ultimately, I find these to have the same "bring stuff from the background and throw it at your face as loud as the singer" effect that I just don't like that much as it makes music unnatural. If you love the 6GX6, you'd absolutely love those, as they sound similar but much better and less coarse. Less loud by a small margin than my typical tubes and comparable to a 6GX6 in that regard.

Where did you buy these from? I really like my Raytheon 6GX6 tubes and i'd like to try em out.

May 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #1,327 of 13,434
Just got home from traveling so I thought I would share some pics.

Dad's personal tube museum.

Some of his radios.  He buys them and rebuilds, refinishes, retubes them.

His tubes he sells.  He has them catagorizes in some way I'm not sure of.

Some of his testing gear to make sure the tubes work.

May 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,328 of 13,434
Quote:
Hi G,

"The Sylvania and RCA were just too peaky in the highs for me and did not stand a chance."

Have you entertained the idea of introducing tone controls in your system? I find that I can make many bright tubes enjoyable by turning down the treble. Perhaps the ranking order would change if you had a pleasant treble?

If I remember correctly, there were posts that 6N6P power tubes would tame the highs as well.

I have a LD 1+, which does not have pre-amp out jacks. I can't think of any way to introduce tone controls without pre-amp out? Moreover, the 1+ is a "hybrid" amp, driver tubes with a solid state amp, so can't use a 6N6P....

And actually, it wasn't until I started testing triodes that I encountered tubes with highs that were just too peaky for comfort. So in the end, it is easiest just to avoid these few tubes. After all, it is not as I am having trouble finding tubes that I like. :)

May 21, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #1,329 of 13,434
Quote:
(sounds that were meant to be in the background or just heard as random echoes kind of leap at you from the sidelines almost as loud as the singer or guitars, at first it sounds like extra detail but it just doesn't feel natural because it's all you notice).

This description hits the nail on the head. With some of these very bright triodes, it was often startling to hear what seemed to be background sounds almost as loud as the singer. And yes, I just thought it was extra detail, but now that you mention it, it is quite strange....

May 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #1,331 of 13,434
Hi halflife78 (39?),

Your Dad looks to be super organized! I would not dare show pictures of my "man cave". Suffice to say that I need a clock to find something on my desk. With that I mean is that if I need something I know that it is around 3 o'clock on my desk two inches down under some stuff.
The problem I have is that if I clean up and organize everything, I cannot find what I need......LOL

May 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #1,332 of 13,434
Quote:
Hi halflife78 (39?),

Your Dad looks to be super organized! I would not dare show pictures of my "man cave". Suffice to say that I need a clock to find something on my desk. With that I mean is that if I need something I know that it is around 3 o'clock on my desk two inches down under some stuff.
The problem I have is that if I clean up and organize everything, I cannot find what I need......LOL

same here!

May 21, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #1,333 of 13,434
Quote:

Where did you buy these from? I really like my Raytheon 6GX6 tubes and i'd like to try em out.

I can't guarantee that they're very similar to your 6GX6, but they definitely called up memories of the same sound signature (a little analog sounding and forward). Those and the CV4012/6BE6W actually. They're virtually the same tube type, so it isn't exactly surprising.

I ordered them and all my last batch from some very obscure UK company called Chelmer Valve Company or CVC. You basically can only search for tubes yourself in their huge database to which you don't directly have access (all you can do is type characters in a box and results appear), no pics, no descriptions, just obscure tube codes -did I mention the whole process is quite obscure? Anyway, just look for them on google if you want to know more. The tubes cost me something like 6 euros each + VAT and fairly expensive shipping, so leveled out with the other tubes, a solid 8 euros per tube (most of the tubes in my last order did). The whole ordering process with CVC took about 8-9 business days + shipping time (close to three weeks total with shipping UK -> France; so a bit tedious for a basic tube order if you ask me...).

Again PM me if you're interested in the pair(s) I have, as I'd be happy to give them a new home, where they'll get more love -now that I've figured out how to send stuff from France to anywhere in the world for pretty cheap, unlike the other way around...

May 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #1,334 of 13,434
Quote:
I can't guarantee that they're very similar to your 6GX6, but they definitely called up memories of the same sound signature (a little analog sounding and forward). Those and the CV4012/6BE6W actually. They're virtually the same tube type, so it isn't exactly surprising.

I ordered them and all my last batch from some very obscure UK company called Chelmer Valve Company or CVC. You basically can only search for tubes yourself in their huge database to which you don't directly have access (all you can do is type characters in a box and results appear), no pics, no descriptions, just obscure tube codes -did I mention the whole process is quite obscure? Anyway, just look for them on google if you want to know more. The tubes cost me something like 6 euros each + VAT and fairly expensive shipping, so leveled out with the other tubes, a solid 8 euros per tube (most of the tubes in my last order did). The whole ordering process with CVC took about 8-9 business days + shipping time (close to three weeks total with shipping UK -> France; so a bit tedious for a basic tube order if you ask me...).

Again PM me if you're interested in the pair(s) I have, as I'd be happy to give them a new home, where they'll get more love -now that I've figured out how to send stuff from France to anywhere in the world for pretty cheap, unlike the other way around...

OK cool, Thanks!

I found this site: http://www.audiotubes.com/bjtubes.htm

they have:

6CS6 / EH900S Telefunken gold pin low noise, 10,000 hr. rated life, original box, $15.00

Not sure if the 6BY6 is similar to the 6CS6, they also have these:

EH900S Telefunken goldpin, low noise $25.00

It's not clear if these at 6BY6/5915 type either.

May 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,335 of 13,434
Quote:
OK cool, Thanks!

I found this site: http://www.audiotubes.com/bjtubes.htm

they have:

6CS6 / EH900S Telefunken gold pin low noise, 10,000 hr. rated life, original box, $15.00

Not sure if the 6BY6 is similar to the 6CS6, they also have these:

EH900S Telefunken goldpin, low noise $25.00

It's not clear if these at 6BY6/5915 type either.

These would be "true" Telefunken tubes, most likely with the "diamond in the base" that people always look for. EH900S are definitely 6BY6 types though, so their might be a mistake on the first one, as 6CS6 have a lower heater current than both the -similar- 6BY6 and 6BE6.

Both are different from mine, which is a US-made German mil-spec Sylvania 5915/6BY6, as odd and twisted as it may seem... Then again maybe not that odd, as we've seen a number a rebrands in the last couple of pages.

Edit: $25 is pretty expensive now that I think about it; I'm pretty sure I saw those cheaper on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back