Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jan 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #601 of 13,432
The Little Dot MkIII is my first tube amp, so I am still a novice in this regard.

I recently bought some 6N6P power tubes to replace the original ones, and I get intermittent cut outs on one of the power tubes with a pop and comes back on. I swapped it around and the cut out follows to the channel of that one particular power tube. Would that mean a faulty power tube?

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #603 of 13,432
Thanks Acapella11. What a bugger. I was enjoying those power tubes as they seem more dynamic.

How does 6H30 power tubes compare to 6H6N tubes? Are they worth the significant extra cost as more then double the price of a 6H6N?

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #604 of 13,432
Hi Keevs, in my ears the 6N30-tubes are worth the price of an 6N30P or 6N30P-EV, although I couldn't state that for the expensive DR-tubes, simply because I never heard them. I have heard the difference to 6N6P with Sennheiser HD650s and I found found it remarkebly.
But - I still think the driver tube can make more of a difference. Personally, I would recommend getting the CV4015 and if you haven't got them yet a pair of M8100 and Tung-Sol 6AJ5, followed by the power tubes. GE JAN 5654W are also very nice. I am not going into detail now in terms of the differences. It is written at the start of the thread and more within. Just search within the thread for the keywords.

However :wink:, if you need to make up your mind about a new pair of power tubes now, well, 6N6P are certainly good tubes, 6N30 are better in terms of dynamics - more attack and also more detail. You could also consider 6N6P-IR tubes - cheaper than 6N30, much less forward, deepest stage, nice treble extension and bass punch, a bit warmer than 6N30 tubes and they pair beautifully with CV4015s :wink:.

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #605 of 13,432
If you have the extra cash, the Electro-Harmonix 6h30Pi are quite nice, probably some of the best power tubes you can get before the 6n30p-dr. They're detailed, dynamic and warm and pair well with sennheisers. Never tried the 6n6p (or -i or -ir), but the best ones out there seem to fare quite well too and are cheaper. Bear in mind the 6h30Pi are rated for 5000 hours minimum, so it's kind of an investment in a way compared to other power tubes (same goes for the DRs, 10000+ hours, might outlast the amp).

i just re-tried the 6AJ5, and I must say these are still the best EF95/6AK5 look-alikes that I've tried. Very spacious, just warm and tubey enough with beautiful mids and vocals, just a bit lacking in the deep bass and upper treble compared to the CV4015, but that makes for a more laid-back listening.

Still, the CV4015 would be my choice with Senns, especially with 6n30/6h30 type tubes. More revealing and better extension. A bit too much extension sometimes actually. With these tubes, I find myself having to turn the volume down a notch after setting what would normally be my comfortable pleasure level; or else my ears might hurt a bit and ring the next day... 6AJ5 (lower gain that 6AK5) are more like the opposite; I find myself pushing the volume occasionally beyond my comfort level, because it doesn't feel dangerous (probably still is...).

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #607 of 13,432
Thanks Acapella11 and Audiofanboy for your suggestions. I might make that investment in a good power tube then.

I initially got a 2nd pair of 6N6P gold grids as a backup power tubes to the MkIII stock ones. But when they arrived and I plugged them in, I noticed a real increase in power and dynamics for the MkIII, which I really liked, unlike one of the 6N6P decided to cut out. I've contacted the seller and he has sent a replacement.

So that got me realizing that power tubes can make a difference. I will for sure start getting some driver tubes soon. Already have the Voshkods and they are very nice. Next aim is for the M8100 and CV4015.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #609 of 13,432
According to what I found on the internet, the letter R as the last letter of the tube designation means:

[size=x-small]R - extra high reliability (10000 hours and more)[/size]

This is certainly good news for durability.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #611 of 13,432
I got the Electro-Harmonix 6h30Pi with my MK IV SE, is there even any point to upgrading? I'm certainly not splurging on those DR super tubes.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #612 of 13,432
Critically speaking, no there is no point in "upgrading" to 6N6P type tubes on the IV SE. Might be about as good or just a different flavor as the 6H30, but it shouldn't be better, hence the prices. The only technically logical upgrade from the Electro-Harmonix are the 6N30P-DR (which make a very audible difference, and make every driver tube sound great and solid; but cost a leg, although you can negotiate with the sellers a bit, and get away with just paying an arm, which is what I did, and I don't regret it).

I am quite curious about the 6N6P-IR though. I would love to try a pair for cheap, even though it seems silly to spend more money on power tubes at this point... I guess I could sell my EH 6h30Pi I'm not using to save some cash.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #613 of 13,432
One satisfying scenario of tube rolling with the LD would be, just from my point of view: 

1.) MKIV SE to have the better LD and you get already 6N30 + Mullard M8100, both are good to have and certainly better than the stock 6N6P and 5654 tubes
2.) nice driver tubes, which are suggested plentiful in this thread. Three to four pairs should be sufficient, if you don't get addicted :wink:
3.) another (non-6N30) power tube pair, because it will change the sound and you realise what a powertube can do. I'd suggest the 6N6P-IR, because I think they give high quality sound quite different to 6N30 tubes.

That should give you a great setup, you never wonder whether the MKIV would have been better or whether you should buy 6N30 tubes or not, you got them all.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #614 of 13,432
I want to order the little dot MK III, but before I do a couple of questions for you pros.
I am a complete newbie to tube rolling and I will be running my beyerdynamic DT1350’s with the amp and was wondering if the upgraded tubes available at order are a good choice?
Or is it better to get stock tubes and buy upgrades after.
2x 5654/5725: 20 USD
2x 6H6PI/6H6n: 35 USD
Upgrade and replace stock 5654 driver tubes with M8100/CV4010: 45 USD

after reading this thread i was considering Electro-Harmonix 6h30Pi and Mullard CV4015's.
what says you pros?

Thank you

Gary

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #615 of 13,432
Looking back now, even for the MK IV, it is waaay cheaper to get tubes off of ebay (even without a good deal, except maybe from way-too-expensive-yenaudio) than to get them from LD.

So for the MKIII, definitely just get the stock tubes, and have fun tube rolling for cheap afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back