Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Feb 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #301 of 13,432
I paid $36 for a matched, tested pair from Yen as well.  (The GE-JANs were $18 for a matched, tested pair from ebay seller Presence01 or something like that).

In the middle of this thread there is discussion that you can get alternatively branded Vokshods for significantly cheaper -- something like $20 for a sleeve of ten.  Although I don't know if those are matched and tested.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #302 of 13,432
 Hello,

don't know about shipping to your country especially but there are several very good offers on ebay like this. By the way: I own 3 pairs and adore them!

http://www.ebay.de/itm/2-pc-6J1P-EV-EF95-6F32-6AK7-Gold-Platinum-grid-NIB-/130436695928?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e5ea20778

Just go on the search for: 6J1P EV gold grid    or     6ZH1P-EV     or      6SCH1PEV     or.....  there a few more equivalents around. Just try to get some with "gold grid" "military" or "OTK" or "EV" or "EB",,,

Some even say the normal "6J1P" with no special adds is far enough for great sound. these you wiill probably get for 2 Dollars each as a lot of 10 or so.

I got a pair of the gold grided ones as described above for sale (and some other tubes too). So if you're interested just message me.

Greets,

Nik

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #303 of 13,432
Hi Infinity650,

Snagged a couple of 6AG5 tubes (RCA and Tung Sol) and tried them out. David Zhe Zhe of Little Dot probably would not recommend them in his amps, but only because he has not tried them. According to a friend of mine who is a retired sound engineer the electrical characteristics and pinout are very similar to the 6AK5 tubes, and so there should not be any problems using them. Certainly, I did not have any problems with the 6AG5 tubes in my Little Dot MkIII.
I prefer the Tung Sol tubes over the RCAs. The sound is very good overall and competes with the best of the 6AK5 tubes with a good presentation across the sound spectrum. These tubes are taller than the 6AK5 and seem very solidly built, and I would not be surprised if this construction inspired some Russian tube manufacturers.
By all means try some and see if you like them. Be patient and look for a bargain - you could pick them up very cheap (less $2 each).

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #305 of 13,432

Quote:
In your experience, what brand EF-95/6AK5 series or 6AG5 tubes have sounded the most "tubey," ie. the warmest / exhibited the most liquid-sounding midrange?

I think the LM Ericsson 403b tubes are a perfect candidate for "most tubey".

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #306 of 13,432
though i was waiting for infinity's review of GE and Raytheon JAN 5654my stock tubes on MK IIstarted to buzz on my right ear so decided to put in the GE tubes. burning in at the moment so i hope it's pretty nice. Oh and GE tubes are so much cheaper than Rayheon at half the price.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #307 of 13,432
Hi Dynasty 62,

For liquid, tubey midrange with great instrument separation, I found the Mullards the best.
In the EF95 family the Mullard M8100, CV4010, CV850.

In the 6AG5 family Tung Sol, but here I have very limited experience.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #308 of 13,432

Quote:
Hi Dynasty 62,

For liquid, tubey midrange with great instrument separation, I found the Mullards the best.
In the EF95 family the Mullard M8100, CV4010, CV850.

In the 6AG5 family Tung Sol, but here I have very limited experience.

Would anyone know where to acquire a set LM Ericsson 403B? They seem pretty hard to find these days. 

I really like my Amperex EF95s with the Bugle Boy logo I have in my MkIII currently. They're made in Great Britain, so I have a feeling they're rebranded Mullards. Instrument separation is great, and they definitely take the grain off of modern-day recorded music. In my opinion, they sound very smooth and are good for just about everything, however, they seem relatively neutral to my ears. I'm wondering if there's anything a tad more lush sounding in the midrange?

As for Tung-Sols, I've tried five different 6AK5s and they all seemed to emphasize the wrong frequencies and had terrible microphonics... I wonder if this is the case for other Tung-Sol tube families...

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #309 of 13,432

Quote:
Would anyone know where to acquire a set LM Ericsson 403B? They seem pretty hard to find these days. 

I really like my Amperex EF95s with the Bugle Boy logo I have in my MkIII currently. They're made in Great Britain, so I have a feeling they're rebranded Mullards. Instrument separation is great, and they definitely take the grain off of modern-day recorded music. In my opinion, they sound very smooth and are good for just about everything, however, they seem relatively neutral to my ears. I'm wondering if there's anything a tad more lush sounding in the midrange?

As for Tung-Sols, I've tried five different 6AK5s and they all seemed to emphasize the wrong frequencies and had terrible microphonics... I wonder if this is the case for other Tung-Sol tube families...

I got mine from another head-fier, probably best to just put a wanted ad out on the boards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-6AK5-403B-EF95-Little-Dot-Amp-Tubes-Matched-Pair-Tested-/251004622622?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a710a971e

You can also try these, they're a close second to the LM Ericsson's.

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #310 of 13,432

Quote:

I've not heard anything bad about Tung-Sol's in most families. I've also not heard much talk of them being popular in the Little Dot products (everyone loves the Bugle Boys and Mullards), so it might just be that the Tung-Sol crowd and the Little Dot crowd don't overlap much.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #311 of 13,432
It is so interesting to see how different tubes sound different in different systems. I have a pair of EF95 Amperex tubes made in England which look exactly like Mullards, but they don't work for me. However, the Mullards I have sound much better. (Don't fall into the trap of Australian made Mullard look alikes that don't sound nearly as good - the letters SDA appear on these.)
The Amperex 6AK5/5654 tubes made in Holland are much harder to find, but sound very different and have a very strong bass.
Bottom line: You have to find the tubes that sound the best on your equipment using your own judgement. Don't know why you have such problems with microphonics - maybe you could experiment with a different placement of your amp, or maybe move something that may cause the microphonic coupling.
In the past I have seen the LM Ericsson tubes on EBay for around $20/pair including shipping (did not sell then). Did not bite because I will not spend more than $8/tube, and preferably less than that amount for a pair.
Found an Ebay listing from June last year that tells the story: Be patient and you will find the right price - sorry I missed it, but I was not looking then. (Hint: look for 5591 as well.)

5591 TUBE 403B Ericson LM TUBE 5591 NOS 

See original listing

Item condition: --
Ended: Jun 21, 201119:27:41 PDT
Sold For: US $3.99 [ 32 sold ]
Shipping: $1.25 USPS First Class Mail
Item location: Frackville, Pennsylvania, United States
Seller: Member id schadle570 ( Feedback Score Of 1147
iconRedStar_25x25.gif
)
iconTrsMini.gif
|Seller's other items

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #312 of 13,432

Quote:
It is so interesting to see how different tubes sound different in different systems. I have a pair of EF95 Amperex tubes made in England which look exactly like Mullards, but they don't work for me. However, the Mullards I have sound much better. (Don't fall into the trap of Australian made Mullard look alikes that don't sound nearly as good - the letters SDA appear on these.)
The Amperex 6AK5/5654 tubes made in Holland are much harder to find, but sound very different and have a very strong bass.
Bottom line: You have to find the tubes that sound the best on your equipment using your own judgement. Don't know why you have such problems with microphonics - maybe you could experiment with a different placement of your amp, or maybe move something that may cause the microphonic coupling.
In the past I have seen the LM Ericsson tubes on EBay for around $20/pair including shipping (did not sell then). Did not bite because I will not spend more than $8/tube, and preferably less than that amount for a pair.
Found an Ebay listing from June last year that tells the story: Be patient and you will find the right price - sorry I missed it, but I was not looking then. (Hint: look for 5591 as well.)

5591 TUBE 403B Ericson LM TUBE 5591 NOS 

See original listing

Item condition: --
Ended: Jun 21, 201119:27:41 PDT
Sold For: US $3.99 [ 32 sold ]
Shipping: $1.25 USPS First Class Mail
Item location: Frackville, Pennsylvania, United States
Seller: Member id schadle570 ( Feedback Score Of 1147
iconRedStar_25x25.gif
)
iconTrsMini.gif
|Seller's other items

Yup, I remember seeing that very listing while I was researching the 403B. It's a pity I wasn't looking for tubes then either...
As for the microphonics, my Western Electrics, my Amperex "BB's" and Amperex 6AK5W were fine- it just seemed to be limited to the Tung-Sols. 

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #313 of 13,432
very happy with JAN GE 5654s. not much burn in and still far superior compared to stock tubes on MKII. Getting rid of all the other tubes except sylvannia and stocking up on GEs. Cheap tubes that I do like. Though it is tempting to try all the nice tubes that everyone has it'll cost too much until i finish my schooling.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #314 of 13,432
I'm still waiting for my GE JANs to arrive. In general, you're right. It would have been much cheaper to stopping the whole tube rolling thing after having heard "the best" 5654, EF91 and EF92 tube and that's it. :D

But it's a hobby - maximum input, minimum countable output! :wink:

Whent the time has come and I really heard and compared all my tubes after arrival, I will put double or just a little bit less favorite pairs for sale.

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #315 of 13,432
As I said, I am very new to this whole tube and tube rolling thing.

From what I have read, it is most desirable to get matched pairs of tubes.  It appears that, on ebay at least, you pay a premium for tested, matched pairs.

How does one determine whether tubes are matched or not?  Also, how would one test the tubes to make sure they are still strong?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back