Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Feb 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #271 of 13,432
I am using the EH 6h30 gold pin power tubes in my little dot mk3  and feel there is a big difference from the stock power tubes.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #272 of 13,432
Hello

I own these two pairs: 

6H30-DR  

http://www.ebay.de/itm/MATCHED-PAIR-6N30P-DR-6H30-Pi-SUPER-TUBES-UNUSED-TESTED-/150751226877?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2319792bfd

and   6H30PI Gold-Pin

http://www.ebay.de/itm/2x-EH-6H30Pi-Gold-Matched-Pair-Mk-IV-SE-Little-Dot-Amp-/220845375202?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item336b68fee2

These links are just examples, I'm neither the seller nor there's a garantee it's the lowest price right now. Just keep searching for a bargain, be patient and you'll find a good deal. EDIT: I just saw a quad of the DR Tubes on ebay for a very nice price (around 150€).

Both tubes are way better than the stock tubes. You choose if a very small advance in sound quality is worth the money between these two models. Keep in mind driver tubes (perfectly discussed earlier in this thread) are much more important for the sound. It's the same thing here: look long enough for a bargain and you'll find it.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #274 of 13,432
Thanks Infinity,

I just received some Mullard M8100's that I'm looking forward to trying.  I figured if I could upgrade
the power tubes why not.  Even though it is only ~15%.  But it sounds like Little Dot and yourself
think it's worth while so, I'll pursue that path with patience, as you suggest.

Thanks again to you both. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #275 of 13,432
Hello,

nice I could help you. The Mullard 8100's are a very good choice, they sound great especially with singer songwriter kind of music. There's a reason why Little Dot fits these in their MK IV SE model as "stock" tubes. Have fun while hearing and let us know how you like them.

Greets,

Nik

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #278 of 13,432
Hello,

I bought two pairs of those Raytheon JAN-CRP a few days ago. They haven't arrived yet but I will report on their sounding by the time they're burned in and I'll have listened closely.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #281 of 13,432
Just push them gently left and right, pull a little litte bit while doing. Will come out easily. No rocket science at all. :)

Ok; I got 'em out. I had to take off the brass shield thing and I think I heard something loose in the amp. I heard a slight buzzing from the left channel so I wanted to switch them. I know I swapped the driver tubes but I confused which power tube was left and which was right.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #282 of 13,432
thanks infinity.
i really do appreciate it. Just trying to figure out if i want to use between GE, Raytheon and sylvania GB and sell of whatever I won't be using for money and to save space. But I figure that two pairs of sylvania are probably going unless they're significantly better.

thanks

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #284 of 13,432
Does the 'dead soldier" have a white coating inside the glass envelope instead of silver? If not, just try the pen knife trick to scrape off the oxidation on the pins, and the tube might work.
(The white coating indicates that the tube lost vacuum and is dead.)

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #285 of 13,432
Hi guys,

these days I got my Mullard EF 91s. A pair of the CV4014 (civilian version) and a pair of M8083 large shield (military). Expect from the print on these tubes, they look absolutely identical! Every detail which can be seen with bare eyes is exactly the same to me... Which leads me to the question: is there really a difference between them?

Soundwise they're pretty similar to me, haven't heard them enough (still burn in, not that much time for listening) for a final judgement. Mostly heard with the M8083. With a lot more burn in time the M8083 is a little warmer and less harsh in treble. Seems to have a pretty wide soundstage and you can localize the instruments for example in an orchestra easily. Sounds very nice overall, in comparison to all good EF95 tubes the biggest difference is the wide soundstage and less "in your face" sound.

Will give a big overview with my personal impressions of all my tubes ( the "big" EF95 ones, some EF91/92) and my powertubes (6H30 gold pin and the 6H30 DR "supertube"). Really really looking forward to extensive comparisons while having more time after my exams at university! :)

Greets

Nik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back