Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Sep 20, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #13,292 of 13,432
I have the little dot mk2 v3.0 and I'm very happy to have bought it, I think the stock tubes are terrible in fact I inserted some jan 5654 and 6n6-t and the sound has improved a lot, I imagine there are much better tube options to buy right ?

Sep 20, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #13,293 of 13,432
I have the little dot mk2 v3.0 and I'm very happy to have bought it, I think the stock tubes are terrible in fact I inserted some jan 5654 and 6n6-t and the sound has improved a lot, I imagine there are much better tube options t

I have the little dot mk2 v3.0 and I'm very happy to have bought it, I think the stock tubes are terrible in fact I inserted some jan 5654 and 6n6-t and the sound has improved a lot, I imagine there are much better tube options to buy right ?
There are I enjoy 6N6P-T and have not heard your 6N6-T variant.

Sep 20, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #13,294 of 13,432
I have the little dot mk2 v3.0 and I'm very happy to have bought it, I think the stock tubes are terrible in fact I inserted some jan 5654 and 6n6-t and the sound has improved a lot, I imagine there are much better tube options t
I enjoy 6N6P-T and have not heard your variant. The EI Yugo 6HM5 which are tall bottles and Voskhod 6J1P-EV which have grooved glass are among the most commonly recommended and liked plug and play upgrades for 5654s here. I have rolled dozens of drivers and most of them sound better than the 5654/6AK5/EF95 in my collection. Currently listening to Western Electric 409A in jumped EF91/EF92 mode in my MKIII.

Sep 20, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #13,295 of 13,432
I enjoy 6N6P-T and have not heard your variant. The EI Yugo 6HM5 which are tall bottles and Voskhod 6J1P-EV which have grooved glass are among the most commonly recommended and liked plug and play upgrades for 5654s here. I have rolled dozens of drivers and most of them sound better than the 5654/6AK5/EF95 in my collection. Currently listening to Western Electric 409A in jumped EF91/EF92 mode in my MKIII.
do you mean that Yugo 6HM5, Voskhod 6J1P-EV, 6N6P-T are all power tubes that are fine paired with my jan 5654?

Sep 20, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #13,296 of 13,432
Elektronska Industrija 6HM5 and Voskhod 6Zh1P-EV are driver tubes. They are the best you can have without any adapters. I'm a LD 1+ owner, so I will abstain to comment about power tubes :relaxed:

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #13,297 of 13,432
Can someone kindly explain to me how to understand what type of volvole to buy for my little dot mk2?
for now I use the jan 5654 and 6n6-t finals as preamps, can I only use the 5654s as preamps?
and the final ones, how many types of valves can I use and how can I understand which ones to use?

Sep 21, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #13,298 of 13,432
95Can someone kindly explain to me how to understand what type of volvole to buy for my little dot mk2?
for now I use the jan 5654 and 6n6-t finals as preamps, can I only use the 5654s as preamps?
and the final ones, how many types of valves can I use and how can I understand which ones o use?
I'm not sure how to respond. The 6N6-T are power tubes and the 5654 are driver tubes. You can substitute EI Yugo 6HM5 driver tubes, and Voskhod 6J2P-EV rocket logo driver tubes for your 5654 tubes. (There are also power tube substitutes.)

Your little dot is currently set up for EF95 tubes which when it comes to our Little Dots are the same as 5654 and 6AK5. There are tubes with different names such as the Voskhod above that are sensibly electronically equivalent that are offered for for sale as EF95 and/or 6AK5 and/or 5654 tubes. It's possible to easily collect dozens and dozens of different EF95 tubes.

Figuring out how to roll other tubes is a learning process with some ways easier than others, all discussed on this thread. The limitation for most people is probably not so much how many tubes can work in the Little Dot but how many tubes they want to buy and how much time one has to listen to them. Some are satisfied after trying a few recommended tubes. Some have spent years developing large tube collections.

Sep 21, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #13,300 of 13,432
Thanks, I'm starting to understand and it's very interesting, could you maybe show me photos where the switch and jumper settings are located.

I have the Little Dot MKIII. I cannot send photos of the Little Dot MKII. I can see my jumpers by turning the amp upside down and looking through the holes in the housing. One can query this thread and find information. Post #10,683 has a photo of what I'd post if I took a photo of my amp, and post #10,686 has some info also. There are probably more posts with more info. While looking underneath, you might find a version # such as v3.0. Using that, you might be able to find and download an owners manual that would explain the jumpers and more. Here's a link that might work and help you pull up a manual for one version of the mkII https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/10304561.pdf It seems some little dot II's have jumpers and some do not. LD jumpers are about the size of lentil and I remove and insert them with cotter pin pliers which are even narrower than needle nose pliers. Hemostats or tweezers might work also. If you end up needing to buy jumpers, try to buy extra because it is easy to lose them in the housing. I have managed to shake them out but some people have not. One needs 2 jumpers, one for the right tube and one for the left tube. There is an alternative to jumpers described with a diagram on post #13170. It's what is known as a tube pin wire modification. Here's a photo of an upside down little dot, perhaps a mKiii. Up top through oval holes one can see gain switches (not necessarily visible on some MKII's). The oval holes lower down show pins with little black jumpers installed on them. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/11450484.jpg&tbnid=ndqlMRs4Pzod6M&vet=12ahUKEwj3_77_xbyBAxVAPN4AHZpKBRIQMygzegUIARCQAg..i&imgrefurl=https://www.head-fi.org/threads/review-of-the-little-dot-mkiii-tube-headphone-amp-pre-amp.309855/&docid=qO8FLDlNzPhZdM&w=2620&h=4656&q=jumpers little dot amps&ved=2ahUKEwj3_77_xbyBAxVAPN4AHZpKBRIQMygzegUIARCQAg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #13,301 of 13,432
Thanks, I'm starting to understand and it's very interesting, could you maybe show me photos where the switch and jumper settings are located.
You remove the bottom of the LDMk2 and everything is right there.

The red circles are your EF95/EF92 jumpers and the blue circles are the gain dip switches. If you don't have a manual for the amp a quick Google search should bring up a PDF of one.
Little-Dot-MK-II-Board.jpg

(Base image courtesy of WCCFTECH)

Sep 22, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #13,302 of 13,432
You remove the bottom of the LDMk2 and everything is right there.

The red circles are your EF95/EF92 jumpers and the blue circles are the gain dip switches. If you don't have a manual for the amp a quick Google search should bring up a PDF of one.
Little-Dot-MK-II-Board.jpg
(Base image courtesy of WCCFTECH)
thank you very much.

Oct 14, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #13,304 of 13,432
Hi all, sorry for my english, only speak spanish.

I have several chi-fi dacs, with tubes.

Is recomended this MKII, MKII in 2023?.

Witch model have power tubes?. MKII or MKIII?.

Only i havwe curiosity to probe power tubes.

Thanks.
Hola Juan

I'm not the best person to reply since I own a hybrid, but my feeling is, after reading many pages in this thread, that the power tubes don't affect the sound as much as the drivers. Probably someone who rolled both power and driver tubes can elaborate more on the subject.

MK2 and MK3 indeed use power tubes. You can check the current Little Dot line-up here: https://littledot.net/

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #13,305 of 13,432
Hi, thanks.

Regards.

Hola Juan

No soy la mejor persona para responder ya que tengo un híbrido, pero mi sensación es, después de leer muchas páginas en este hilo, que las válvulas de potencia no afectan tanto al sonido como los controladores. Probablemente alguien que haya rodado tanto los tubos de potencia como los de los controladores pueda dar más detalles sobre el tema.

De hecho, MK2 y MK3 utilizan válvulas de potencia. Puedes consultar la alineación actual de Little Dot aquí: https://littledot.net/

Hola Juan

I'm not the best person to reply since I own a hybrid, but my feeling is, after reading many pages in this thread, that the power tubes don't affect the sound as much as the drivers. Probably someone who rolled both power and driver tubes can elaborate more on the subject.

MK2 and MK3 indeed use power tubes. You can check the current Little Dot line-up here: https://littledot.net/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back