Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Apr 13, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #12,902 of 13,434
Apr 13, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #12,904 of 13,434
Apr 13, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #12,906 of 13,434

I have a bunch of 6080 and 6AS7G's and decided to try those tubes you linked a while back. They are light weight and feel cheap but I have to tell you they sound as good as any tube of that family I've used. I recommend them.

I have also bought tubes from mercedesman on ebay and he it a great seller. Most, if not everything he sells is NOS or above. I think these look really good and they are super affordable. Take a look at the info in his description.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325114893615?hash=item4bb25b952f:g:zMEAAOSwNy9iOzRK

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #12,907 of 13,434
Update about noise floor with C3gs.
My C3g were noisier compared to my other tubes. Eventually I found out the static only comes out from one side. If I would to guess it may be the adapters at fault, will be ordering a new pair to see if it fixes the problem.

My plan was to switch the left and right tubes with their adapters to see if the noise will change. Then change the adapters to determine if one of the adapter really is the root of my problems. However, turns out the noise still remains in the left channel after my first swap. Was not expecting this. This may very mean it is my amp that was causing the hum. In quick intervals while the amp still warm, I popped in a pair of Voskhods in. Interestingly when I powered on the amp the noise floor was full on, then quickly dissipated leaving me with a dark background that I initially experienced.

Are there any LD I+ users that roll C3g? Now I'm not sure if my amp is bad or C3g was just not meant for it in the first place.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #12,908 of 13,434
Update about noise floor with C3gs.
My C3g were noisier compared to my other tubes. Eventually I found out the static only comes out from one side. If I would to guess it may be the adapters at fault, will be ordering a new pair to see if it fixes the problem.

My plan was to switch the left and right tubes with their adapters to see if the noise will change. Then change the adapters to determine if one of the adapter really is the root of my problems. However, turns out the noise still remains in the left channel after my first swap. Was not expecting this. This may very mean it is my amp that was causing the hum. In quick intervals while the amp still warm, I popped in a pair of Voskhods in. Interestingly when I powered on the amp the noise floor was full on, then quickly dissipated leaving me with a dark background that I initially experienced.

Are there any LD I+ users that roll C3g? Now I'm not sure if my amp is bad or C3g was just not meant for it in the first place.

For sure, the LD was not designed to run C3g. But years ago, I used the C3g in my LD1+ and don't remember them being noisy.

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #12,909 of 13,434
For sure, the LD was not designed to run C3g. But years ago, I used the C3g in my LD1+ and don't remember them being noisy.
Kind of odd with how only one channel is noisy though; this means one of the channels is not working as intended. But technically since it’s flawless with original tubes, I can’t really say it is broken. Shame tho, I really enjoyed the spacious soundstage of the c3gs.

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #12,910 of 13,434
Kind of odd with how only one channel is noisy though; this means one of the channels is not working as intended. But technically since it’s flawless with original tubes, I can’t really say it is broken. Shame tho, I really enjoyed the spacious soundstage of the c3gs.
I don't have experience with the LD 1+ but I had a similar problem with one channel being noisy in the LD MKIII. It may be worthwhile to see if you can identify an external source for the hum such as a portable phone, router, flourescent light etc. Moving the amp further away from souch a source may be helpful.

Apr 20, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #12,912 of 13,434
O

One help please. I bought a Little Dot MKII that came with 4 otk7 6k1n eb tubes, plus 4 otk1 6k1n eb tubes and 4 6h6n ix power tubes. Does anyone know which family these

tubes belong to? EF95(6j1) or EF92? Thanks.
OTK is a Russian term for “inspected by” inspector #7 or #1 as of above - it has nothing to do with the tube designation. It has to be surmised that the quality control was stricter in the earlier years of communism (1950-1970s).
EB is a suffix denoting longer life.
EB = 5000 hours
DR = 10,000 hours
Regular tubes are supposed to last 3000 hours.
IMHO opinion the longevity of the tube bears no relation to the sound.
It could also be that the hour ratings are made under harsh conditions in a tank or fighter jet - the tubes usually last very long.
The 6H6N tubes have a date code on them - IX is September and there should be a year there as well. If my memory serves me right a two digit year code like 86 for 1986.
The 6J1 tubes belong to the EF95 family.

Apr 21, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #12,913 of 13,434
OTK is a Russian term for “inspected by” inspector #7 or #1 as of above - it has nothing to do with the tube designation. It has to be surmised that the quality control was stricter in the earlier years of communism (1950-1970s).
EB is a suffix denoting longer life.
EB = 5000 hours
DR = 10,000 hours
Regular tubes are supposed to last 3000 hours.
IMHO opinion the longevity of the tube bears no relation to the sound.
It could also be that the hour ratings are made under harsh conditions in a tank or fighter jet - the tubes usually last very long.
The 6H6N tubes have a date code on them - IX is September and there should be a year there as well. If my memory serves me right a two digit year code like 86 for 1986.
The 6J1 tubes belong to the EF95 family.
Thanks for the quick response.
Power tubes 6H6"N" (resembles an N) installed and spares indicate IX/77 and XI/75, none are dated.
Excuse my ignorance, wasn't it clear 6H6N are equivalent to 6J1 that belong to the EF95 family?
As I understand the LD MKII jumpers are specific to the power tubes.
Is the deduction correct?
The pre tubes have some numbers that I don't understand, I'll attach photos.
Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20220421_120904979_2.jpg
    IMG_20220421_120904979_2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 21, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #12,914 of 13,434
Thanks for the quick response.
Power tubes 6H6"N" (resembles an N) installed and spares indicate IX/77 and XI/75, none are dated.
Excuse my ignorance, wasn't it clear 6H6N are equivalent to 6J1 that belong to the EF95 family?
As I understand the LD MKII jumpers are specific to the power tubes.
Is the deduction correct?
The pre tubes have some numbers that I don't understand, I'll attach photos.
Thank you for your help.
The 6H6N tubes are output tubes, the 6J1 are driver tubes, they are not the same. The jumpers and switches are for the driver tubes only.

Do you not have a manual for the amp?
http://www.popular-hifi.com/projects/nad_stereo/little_dot/little_dot_mk2_manual.pdf

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #12,915 of 13,434
6H6N (as it looks like) is kyrillic lettering. We call it 6N6P and this is a respected output tube, available in different versions from different Soviet factories. To some they sound different, to others not, and as TrollDragon writes they are the output/power tubes.

"spares indicate IX/77 and XI/75, none are dated"
They are actually dated. IX means September and XI November. September 1977 and November 1975.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back