Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jan 10, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #12,482 of 13,432
wow... those would be perfect but... there are more working hours in total in that package then residual in my life :smile: ... just two of those would more then enough (estimated life should be around 10.000 hours)

I will send him a message to see if is possible to buy a smaller quantity... thks for help :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #12,483 of 13,432
wow... those would be perfect but... there are more working hours in total in that package then residual in my life :smile: ... just two of those would more then enough (estimated life should be around 10.000 hours)

I will send him a message to see if is possible to buy a smaller quantity... thks for help :relaxed:

If you enjoy the sound you will hang on to your life as long as the tubes still work :relieved:

Jan 12, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #12,484 of 13,432
Ok, I’ve found a supplier having 6BE6, all NOS from these brands... Brimar, Philips, Fivre, Zenit, Tungsram... which one should I choose to match with 6H8C?
target is something a little softer then TFK but very different form Siemens (too dry, quite bad imho) and not as soft as Mullard

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #12,485 of 13,432
Ok, I’ve found a supplier having 6BE6, all NOS from these brands... Brimar, Philips, Fivre, Zenit, Tungsram... which one should I choose to match with 6H8C?
target is something a little softer then TFK but very different form Siemens (too dry, quite bad imho) and not as soft as Mullard
i have tried these 6BE6 to from Tungsol ,and IBM (1680)6BE6 4 TUBES IBM 1680 6BE6.JPG1 PAIR Tung-Sol 6BE6 EF92 OU EF95.JPG

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #12,487 of 13,432
Good dear, I am new to this world of high quality audio, and I decided to start this year with an initial setup that gives me good listening quality. I subscribed to Tidal and Quboz so that they can offer me good sound quality and buy some equipment, now this past blackfriday, my first Sennheiser HD6xx from Drop that cost me $ 200, also seeing reviews encouraged me to buy a dac, because previously I didn't have, I also bought the Topping E30, and now I was looking for a good amp. Reading reviews they always strongly recommend that I get myself a tube amp, as compared to a solid amp, the tube amp could get the most out of my purchased headphones, that's why I made it to this part of the forum. I am encouraging myself to buy the Little Dot Mk2 for its cost benefit (180 $) and because it is a good amplifier to start with, reading the first pages and being new in this world it is difficult for me to read the more than 800 pages of this great post. That is why I ask you to help me please, I would like to update the tubes that come by default with the LD Mk2 (2x 6JI + 2x 6N6), according to my Aliexpress seller, he wants to sell me 2x 6JI for 10 USD and 2x 6N6 for 20 USD only For replacement in case the default ones get damaged, he also offered me M8100 / CV4010 for 50 USD and the pair of tubes JAN 5654 for 15 USD but it seems a bit excessive, since looking at the first page of this post, Dept_of_Alchemy recommended the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV and the pair of these cost $ 24 shipping included and I feel they are the best I can get for now, because my budget is short, I found them on ebay: https://www.ebay.es/itm/ Voshkod-6ZH1P-EV-6J1P-EV-EF95-Matched-Pair-2-Difference-New-Old-Stock / 142890748468 My question is if I am doing well to buy these upgrade tubes on ebay, and if I need a replacement for the 6N6 to order them on aliexpress ($ 16 pair) in case the ones that come by default should fail, or maybe there are better power tubes on ebay and what would they be. Thanks a lot.

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #12,488 of 13,432
Good dear, I am new to this world of high quality audio, and I decided to start this year with an initial setup that gives me good listening quality. I subscribed to Tidal and Quboz so that they can offer me good sound quality and buy some equipment, now this past blackfriday, my first Sennheiser HD6xx from Drop that cost me $ 200, also seeing reviews encouraged me to buy a dac, because previously I didn't have, I also bought the Topping E30, and now I was looking for a good amp. Reading reviews they always strongly recommend that I get myself a tube amp, as compared to a solid amp, the tube amp could get the most out of my purchased headphones, that's why I made it to this part of the forum. I am encouraging myself to buy the Little Dot Mk2 for its cost benefit (180 $) and because it is a good amplifier to start with, reading the first pages and being new in this world it is difficult for me to read the more than 800 pages of this great post. That is why I ask you to help me please, I would like to update the tubes that come by default with the LD Mk2 (2x 6JI + 2x 6N6), according to my Aliexpress seller, he wants to sell me 2x 6JI for 10 USD and 2x 6N6 for 20 USD only For replacement in case the default ones get damaged, he also offered me M8100 / CV4010 for 50 USD and the pair of tubes JAN 5654 for 15 USD but it seems a bit excessive, since looking at the first page of this post, Dept_of_Alchemy recommended the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV and the pair of these cost $ 24 shipping included and I feel they are the best I can get for now, because my budget is short, I found them on ebay: https://www.ebay.es/itm/ Voshkod-6ZH1P-EV-6J1P-EV-EF95-Matched-Pair-2-Difference-New-Old-Stock / 142890748468 My question is if I am doing well to buy these upgrade tubes on ebay, and if I need a replacement for the 6N6 to order them on aliexpress ($ 16 pair) in case the ones that come by default should fail, or maybe there are better power tubes on ebay and what would they be. Thanks a lot.

You can't go wrong with the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV. But before you spend too much money on more tubes, I would encourage you to wait until the amp arrives and you can spend some time listening to the default tubes. You just might like them and then no need to upgrade. :)

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #12,490 of 13,432
before to replace the tube I strongly suggest you to replace the power cable... I replaced the tubes too but the step I've heard replacing the cable was quite important, bigger then replacing, for example, the standard tubes with GE JAN 5654 (please note I'm living in a modern house with almost perfect power net) ... I've done my cable following this project https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ttse.html

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #12,491 of 13,432
You can't go wrong with the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV. But before you spend too much money on more tubes, I would encourage you to wait until the amp arrives and you can spend some time listening to the default tubes. You just might like them and then no need to upgrade. :)
Thanks for the answer, it sounds good to wait for the amplifier and then make decisions, the bad thing is that I am somewhat desperate and I want to have everything at hand because waiting 30-40 days is stressful ..
before to replace the tube I strongly suggest you to replace the power cable... I replaced the tubes too but the step I've heard replacing the cable was quite important, bigger then replacing, for example, the standard tubes with GE JAN 5654 (please note I'm living in a modern house with almost perfect power net) ... I've done my cable following this project https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ttse.html
Thanks for the answer, a question, does the cable have to be of better quality?, because I have a thick cable that was left over from my UPS tower.

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #12,492 of 13,432
Thanks for the answer, it sounds good to wait for the amplifier and then make decisions, the bad thing is that I am somewhat desperate and I want to have everything at hand because waiting 30-40 days is stressful ..

It is important to remember that audio is very subjective. A tube you might think is the very best, another person might think is just OK. Until you know what you like and don't like, it is impossible to know in advance what your favorite tubes will be. So again, my advice is to wait. And after you have listened to your amp with the default tubes for awhile, you will have a better idea what you like and don't like. And then, you can search for tubes that have the sonic character you desire: maybe more bass or more treble, or a more forward midrange or whatever.

Again, patience is a good thing. :)

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #12,493 of 13,432
@Chezpi
important points are
- geometry: the geometry used in that cable is the same you can find in this patent, search it and read it... you will understand why geometry is the first and most important factor and why doing that cable is important to not braid wires in wrong way

28765385-7952-4C58-B573-088516304E30.jpeg

- wire quality: just search for a nice industrial cable, it doesn’t has to be huge... it is important the shielding quality and flexibility ... till now I’ve always used standard cooper cables, I don’t know if 7N does make any sense...I’ve used this one
- braiding the cable will consume roughly the 20% of your target length... so if you want a cable 2m long (sorry I’m not familiar with foot or inch and so on) you need 2m x 3 = 6m + 20% ... roughly 7,2m plus some margin to recover errors in cutting etc.

if you curious about the cable I have done you can look here —> https://melius.club/topic/311948-diy-tnt-tts/#comments

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #12,494 of 13,432
@Chezpi
important points are
- geometry: the geometry used in that cable is the same you can find in this patent, search it and read it... you will understand why geometry is the first and most important factor and why doing that cable is important to not braid wires in wrong way

- wire quality: just search for a nice industrial cable, it doesn’t has to be huge... it is important the shielding quality and flexibility ... till now I’ve always used standard cooper cables, I don’t know if 7N does make any sense...I’ve used this one
- braiding the cable will consume roughly the 20% of your target length... so if you want a cable 2m long (sorry I’m not familiar with foot or inch and so on) you need 2m x 3 = 6m + 20% ... roughly 7,2m plus some margin to recover errors in cutting etc.

if you curious about the cable I have done you can look here —> https://melius.club/topic/311948-diy-tnt-tts/#comments
Thank you for the info, i will check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back