Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Oct 11, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #11,944 of 13,434
Oct 12, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #11,948 of 13,434
Hi I have a little dot tube amp already and really enjoy using it. I am thinking of getting another valve pre amp though and I see there are ones which use 6J2 tubes as well. Can anyone tell me please if 6J1 and 6J2 tubes are compatible?
Hi, as I can find not - 6J2P gives almost twice less power than 6J1P

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #11,949 of 13,434
I have a mini t20 audio amp that brings the 6j4s as "pentodi" tubes I have replaced with g5654 "triodes", I always hear a less powerful speaker than the other, do you think it may depend on what?

are the 6j4 not compatible with the ge 5654? can the amp be broken if I use the gs 5654 instead of its 6j4?

Oct 29, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #11,950 of 13,434
Hi amigos,

My name is Danny, I've been living in Lyon (South of France). I have been playing drums for 20 years and my father is a classical guitarist.
I want to share my quick review about some Tubes I tested, from Triode to Heptode. Keep in mind that this is not a review based on scientific measurements but a test based musician's ear.

My Setup :
-Pair of DACS 25 Hi End floor speakers handmade in France, 2.5 Way.
-Audio source : HD Audio 24 bit : Classical music / Blues femal + male voices / World Music
- Audiophonics high end A/B Amplifier
- P1 DK Preamplifier Tube QCC3008 Aptx + CM6642 chip + NES5532 AOP + Little Dot Tube

6HM5 NOS Yougoslavia TRIODE :

ts3QBLy

These triodes are made in Yougoslavie by Elektronska Industrija for Mullard / Philips). Out of the box they immedialty sound fantastic. They are very linear, ultra low noise = dead silence between songs
I found of these tubes something really unique, they are accurate, plenty of details. balance between Bass / Medium and Treble is absolutely incredible. 3D Image / Sound stage are seplendid as well. But what struck me the most is how the pianos recordings stand out ! I can really feel the difference between my others tubes of these ones when I listen to pianos.

5654W GE JAN PENTODE :

TMszp84

These pentode are made by General Electric in the USA. These are sepcially made for HIFI amplifier and stamped as JAN / Military grade.
Out of the box, they sound great with a very low noise. I found them very linear as well with a great 3D image. They are less detailed than the 6HM5 Nos / Yougoslavia. They remains nevertheless, very precise, sweet and warm.

6AH6WA Sylvania NOS Pentode

NxtVyc9

These Pentode are made in the USA and they are Military grade tubes.
Before I listen to the 6BE6W; these tubes were my favorites. Out of the box, you can feel a real "sound signature". They inflate the bass so very soflty and Medium + Treble still sound really great and detailed. They are more powerful than my 6HM5, I need less gain to feel the consistency of the tubes. I noticed thath they were heating up a lot....

6BE6W Brimar CV4012 Heptode

bvSps1T

These Heptode were made in UK by Brimar. (I see 1968 stanmped into the packaging). Out of the box they sound AWESOME ! Not too boomy, voices and instruments are perfecty distinguished when listening. These tubes are surgical and all the micro details are audible.
Someone wrote a review about the Fivre 6BE6 on page 140, and I share his point of view about 6BE6 tubes, they have something magical, it's like the tubes have been filled with steroids lol )
THESE are the tubes to get ! Next review = Sylvania 6BE6W made in the USA.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #11,952 of 13,434
I have a mini t20 audio amp that brings the 6j4s as "pentodi" tubes I have replaced with g5654 "triodes", I always hear a less powerful speaker than the other, do you think it may depend on what?

are the 6j4 not compatible with the ge 5654? can the amp be broken if I use the gs 5654 instead of its 6j4?

Don't get me wrong : but 5654 = 6AK5W are pentode tubes... not triodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back