Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Mar 9, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #11,866 of 13,434
The shipping was $8.50$ and the seller seems really excellent. The tubes took a while to get here and when I mentioned that to him he refunded me right away even though I asked him to hold off. The tubes arrived two days later...
So, I guess I could look this up myself but you guys are so good at this, are these the same tubes as the ones in my initial post? They sure don't sound the same but maybe that is down to burn in?

I've purchased power tubes from that seller's shop on eBay, he is impeccable, absolutely recommended: fair prices (shipping to EU is actually free), honest, quick shipping, perfect packaging, etc. And yes, those are the "same tubes", but they will be from a different year, different spec, etc, so they can actually sound quite different.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #11,867 of 13,434
I've purchased power tubes from that seller's shop on eBay, he is impeccable, absolutely recommended: fair prices (shipping to EU is actually free), honest, quick shipping, perfect packaging, etc. And yes, those are the "same tubes", but they will be from a different year, different spec, etc, so they can actually sound quite different.

Thanks!

Mar 12, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #11,869 of 13,434
how much Electricity does LD I+ and LD MK II uses? asking because I wanna leave it turned on for 24hr so it can 100% burn-in.
From the LD MK II manual:
While it’s OK and even recommended to burn-in your Little Dot amplifier, it is not recommended to leave your Little Dot running 24 hours a day. We suggest for every 6-8 hours of burn-in, you allow your Little Dot to cool-down for 30 minutes to an hour.

Mar 12, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #11,870 of 13,434
From the LD MK II manual:
While it’s OK and even recommended to burn-in your Little Dot amplifier, it is not recommended to leave your Little Dot running 24 hours a day. We suggest for every 6-8 hours of burn-in, you allow your Little Dot to cool-down for 30 minutes to an hour.

Why is it not? what can really happen if I leave it on for whole day?

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #11,872 of 13,434
I am also not really sure why you can't leave on the amp for extended periods, but heat builds up with extended use, and heat is enemy #1 to electronics.
Different tubes generate different amounts of heat as well, and some tubes can make the LD amps really hot.
I solved it by using a fan drawing away air from the amp. My amp was sitting on a rack and I mounted a discarded 4" PC fan above it and powered it with a 12V wall power supply.
This airflow lowered the temperature of the amp at least 10-20F and I would let the amp run for an extended time. It is always a good idea to feel the part of the transformer chassis with your hand - if it is too hot to touch it is time to give the amp a rest.
The tubes themselves are engineered to work at high temperatures. The normal life span is usually 3000 hours, with EV or EB designation tubes rated at 5000 hours. There are tubes rated at 10,000 hours as well. Tubes should last a very long time under normal operating conditions and you are more likely to loose a tube by dropping it than use....

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #11,873 of 13,434
Hey LD friends, I sold my MKii a while back but cleaning up yesterday I found 4 standard 6n6 tubes. If anyone needs them I'd be happy to send for the cost of shipping. PM me!

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #11,874 of 13,434
I'm having trouble with my LD MK1+ having too much gain, even in the low gain position. When the volume knob is barely turned up, most of the sound is in the right channel, and as I make it louder, the sound moves to the left. But to get the sound smack in the middle, I have to play the music too loud for comfort.
I'm using the WE408A tube... is there a lower gain tube, that sounds good, that I can use to solve this problem?

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #11,876 of 13,434
Didn't you think this is potentiometer issue? Or bad tube?
When I switch the tubes, the slight imbalance remains. I think that lots of amps have a bad channel balance at very low volumes but resolve when used at normal volumes. The problem here is that the gain is so high, that, even with my planar headphones, the volume never gets past less than 9:00, and so the channel imbalance never completely resolves.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #11,877 of 13,434
When I switch the tubes, the slight imbalance remains. I think that lots of amps have a bad channel balance at very low volumes but resolve when used at normal volumes. The problem here is that the gain is so high, that, even with my planar headphones, the volume never gets past less than 9:00, and so the channel imbalance never completely resolves.
I use Rothwell attenuators to overcome this problem. Might be worth looking into them.

Apr 3, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #11,879 of 13,434
Guys I am planning to get the little dot mk3 but I am completely new to the idea of tubes. The link at the first page to show which amps work with which little dot amp does not work. My question is since the mk3 has two input tubes and output tubes, if I were to replace one input tube do I need to replace the 2nd input tube with the same tube as the 1st?

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #11,880 of 13,434
I'm having trouble with my LD MK1+ having too much gain, even in the low gain position. When the volume knob is barely turned up, most of the sound is in the right channel, and as I make it louder, the sound moves to the left. But to get the sound smack in the middle, I have to play the music too loud for comfort.
I'm using the WE408A tube... is there a lower gain tube, that sounds good, that I can use to solve this problem?
Is your source level too high, can you turn it down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back