Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
May 31, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #11,551 of 13,432
I’m pretty sure it’s from the power tubes not from the headphones... tried every possible combination of unplugging and plugging in but the crackle is still present... audible from the power tubes
So guys, any insight on this. I’ve read the previous threads and I’m pretty sure it’s not RF noise, it comes from the tubes themselves and it’s not audible in my headphones. Thanks guys

May 31, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #11,553 of 13,432
It might be a long shot but did you check the pins on the tubes to make sure they're clean of any corrosion?
Did check them out they seem to be fine. Doesn’t corrosion affect the overall sound as well? The sound is fine, just that there are crackling noises from the tubes after I turn it off, lasts for about 10-15 seconds... could it be a grounding issue?

May 31, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #11,554 of 13,432
I wonder if what you are hearing is similar to the sounds a hot automobile engine makes after it is turned off, those popping and tinkling sounds. In a similar way, as tubes cool down, the metal components inside begin to contract. And as they cool down and contract, they need to move a bit, relative to each other, but some pieces are joined together. So as they begin to cool down, tension builds up until one piece suddenly slips against another piece. And as they slip-and-catch, slip-and-catch, we hear pops and tinkling sounds.

Obviously, some tubes are more prone to this than others. In a different amp, the 5998, which is an enhanced version of the 6AS7, is notorious for these popping and tinkling sounds, both as it heats up and as it cools down.

So if this is what you are hearing, then it is perfectly normal, nothing to worry about....

May 31, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #11,555 of 13,432
I wonder if what you are hearing is similar to the sounds a hot automobile engine makes after it is turned off, those popping and tinkling sounds. In a similar way, as tubes cool down, the metal components inside begin to contract. And as they cool down and contract, they need to move a bit, relative to each other, but some pieces are joined together. So as they begin to cool down, tension builds up until one piece suddenly slips against another piece. And as they slip-and-catch, slip-and-catch, we hear pops and tinkling sounds.

Obviously, some tubes are more prone to this than others. In a different amp, the 5998, which is an enhanced version of the 6AS7, is notorious for these popping and tinkling sounds, both as it heats up and as it cools down.

So if this is what you are hearing, then it is perfectly normal, nothing to worry about....
Hi d97,
Just to cover all bases, take a dull little knife and gently scrape the tube pins all around. Many times the various sounds from the tube disappear after burning in the the tubes - usually in the 30-50 hour range.

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #11,562 of 13,432
Did someone say Yugo... :dt880smile:

everybody-needs-a-yugo-sometimes.jpg

2014-10-07 08.44.17.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #11,565 of 13,432
Hi Shepperd,
I bought these little 6AH5 from the Yugoslavia. They sound a little bright with my LD3+Shure940. I usually put them if I have a taste to listen vocal and instrumental music. They light up like a comet after turning on :). High recommendations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back