Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Mar 23, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #11,432 of 13,432
Pleasure to see you again mordy,helpfull like always,thanks.No, actually i was just browsing ebay for tube amps and saw this amp that i never heard of.
I'm set on the La Figaro 339 and waiting to drop again on Massdrop.

Cheers!

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #11,433 of 13,432
Pleasure to see you again mordy,helpfull like always,thanks.No, actually i was just browsing ebay for tube amps and saw this amp that i never heard of.
I'm set on the La Figaro 339 and waiting to drop again on Massdrop.
Hi bb,

Haven't heard the La Figaro 339, but Until Then liked it a lot. In terms of bang for the buck it's hard to beat.
Cheers!

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #11,434 of 13,432
The LD forum has it's new member registration option disabled and the admin contact is disabled as well.

You can contact the creator on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/davidzhezhe

Or through the listed gmail address:
little.tube@gmail.com

Apparently David is no longer at Little Dot. When I sent an Email to the above gmail address I got bounce-back that said the new address is little_dot@vip.163.com

When I emailed this vip.163 address I got a reply from Sword Yang (the designer) who said David Zhezhe is no longer at Little Dot and that their eBay store is closed. You can buy directly from Sword using the above address using Paypal.

The reply I god seems genuine, but I have not confirmed any of this (ie, I did not purchase anything), so be cautious, but I can confirm that when I emailed the old official g-mail address that you get a reply to use the vip.163 address which is apparently Sword Yang.

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #11,435 of 13,432
Apparently David is no longer at Little Dot. When I sent an Email to the above gmail address I got bounce-back that said the new address is little_dot@vip.163.com

When I emailed this vip.163 address I got a reply from Sword Yang (the designer) who said David Zhezhe is no longer at Little Dot and that their eBay store is closed. You can buy directly from Sword using the above address using Paypal.

The reply I god seems genuine, but I have not confirmed any of this (ie, I did not purchase anything), so be cautious, but I can confirm that when I emailed the old official g-mail address that you get a reply to use the vip.163 address which is apparently Sword Yang.
A little risky to order on that email,much safer on ebay but if they do not sell anymore there...i ordered my LD MK3(3 years ago)from David.

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #11,436 of 13,432
A little risky to order on that email,much safer on ebay but if they do not sell anymore there...i ordered my LD MK3(3 years ago)from David.
Hi bb,

Just as a point of information, Massdrop just announced the Little Dot MKIII SE (and the MKIII) for $230.00 including US shipping.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/littledot-tube-amp?
utm_placement=0&referer=YMFN92&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202018-03-24&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional&utm_content=1521872549532.610746630529346084923340
I do not know anything about the SE model and have not found any reviews on this two-tube hybrid balanced amp.
I did order earbuds and a Sennheiser HD650 in the past from Massdrop and would not consider Massdrop a gamble.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #11,438 of 13,432
This drop is confusing, but the MKIII is $230 and the MKIII SE (the balenced one) is $460.
Hi Gg,

Thanks for the correction - I thought that the price sounded strange, but when I looked I could not find the higher price listing that you found for the SE.
It seems that Little Dot has undergone changes in ownership, and David Zhe Zhe has left the company, which now seems run by the amp designer Sword Yang.

Mar 25, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #11,439 of 13,432
Yea so it seems that LD MK3SE it is double the price of MK3, nevertheless a very interesting option for whom want balanced out but with ss output stage idk if you get that full tube sound.

Mar 25, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #11,441 of 13,432
I bought my Mkiii from Massdrop, plus many other things. Never had a problem with any orders, but I don't think you get a warranty on those Little Dot amps when purchased through Massdrop, just a heads up in case you're thinking of joining the drop.

Mar 25, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #11,442 of 13,432
I have my LD Mk4 for 4 years now and it never developed a problem. It is rather rugged even I rolled dozens of tubes on it with wiring mod's. ( I change tubes every other day for fun)
Just that the industrial design was not to my best liking. May be its just a personal taste problem.

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #11,443 of 13,432
Hi all, I have a quick question. Total tube newb here (and I am sorry if this is answered somewhere in the 765 pages that preceded it!).

I bought a Little Dot MKII headphone amp to use with my Sennheiser 6XX that I plan to hook up to my Outlaw 2160 stereo receiver. However, I was reading that i can also use the Little Dot as a preamp and experiment with tube rolling and sound out of my speakers as well. But, I am unclear how to do this. The Dot has left and right inputs and outputs on the back. Here is a link to the back of the 2160 receiver: https://www.outlawaudio.com/images/RR2160RP.jpg

Can someone explain to a newb how I hook up the Little Dot as a headphone amp and as a preamp to use with the speakers? Which inputs/outputs do I connect on my receiver?

Also, I just purchased a Voskhod 6J1P-EV / 6ZH1P-EV, Matched Pair from Ebay. It is my understanding that these are the signal tubes? Do I need power tubes as well? Or will these work with the stock ones in the LD?

Thank you so much!!

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #11,444 of 13,432
......I bought a Little Dot MKII headphone amp to use with my Sennheiser 6XX that I plan to hook up to my Outlaw 2160 stereo receiver.

Can someone explain to a newb how I hook up the Little Dot as a headphone amp and as a preamp to use with the speakers? Which inputs/outputs do I connect on my receiver?

You have several ways you could hook it up.

If you want to listen to the Little Dot as a pre-amp (really a "tube buffer because you are still controlling, switching through the Outlaw) your receiver can do this very well using the "External Processor" Out and In. The user guide says the Processor Out remains at full level independent of the Outlaws volume control. Perfect. Hook the Outlaw Processor OUT to the LD Input, and the LD output to the Processor IN. Your Outlaw will work as normal on your speakers, but when you want to hear the effect of your tube buffer on the speakers, you just hit the "External Loop" button on the Outlaw. Keep the volume on the LD low when you start to try this until you figure out where it should be to just match the volume of the system when the loop is not being used.

If you decide just to use your Outlaw to send sources to The Little Dot, a different, simple safe way to do it is to hook the Input on the Little Dot to the "REC OUT" on the back of the Outlaw. This is nice because it does not change anything in the way you use the system now. The volume control/bass/treble etc of the Outlaw will not effect the Little Dot.... You control the Little Dot just as normal as well. You do NOT have the option of listening to the tube pre-amp through your speakers this way.

Also, I just purchased a Voskhod 6J1P-EV / 6ZH1P-EV, Matched Pair from Ebay. It is my understanding that these are the signal tubes? Do I need power tubes as well? Or will these work with the stock ones in the LD?
Others are a lot more experience than I am on this question, but I understand that there are not many choices for changing the power tubes...most people just change the signal tubes and the ones you got should work great with the stock ones.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #11,445 of 13,432
Hi all, I have a quick question. Total tube newb here (and I am sorry if this is answered somewhere in the 765 pages that preceded it!).

I bought a Little Dot MKII headphone amp to use with my Sennheiser 6XX that I plan to hook up to my Outlaw 2160 stereo receiver. However, I was reading that i can also use the Little Dot as a preamp and experiment with tube rolling and sound out of my speakers as well. But, I am unclear how to do this. The Dot has left and right inputs and outputs on the back. Here is a link to the back of the 2160 receiver: https://www.outlawaudio.com/images/RR2160RP.jpg

Thank you so much!!

I am using my Little Dot MK2 as a pre amp by running the source (CD player etc) through the inputs in the little dot them running the outputs from that into the "main in" section on my NAD amp. This is effectively using the NAD to power my speakers and the LD as a preamp. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back