Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
May 25, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #11,086 of 13,448
May 25, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #11,087 of 13,448
Ok guys, I spent 10-15 hours to evaluate the C3G in conjunction with Jan Philips 6SN7 via adapters. Gain set to 5 to avoid the buzz (minimum value for this). My final statement is 9/10.
I tried then C3G with 6N6P, 6N6P-IR, Gain = 3 and I think the score remained close. So the output tubes do not really make a difference here, or I have bad ears and I do not sense it.
I tried also the 6HM5 in conjunction with 6N6P=IR and the score was 8/10. Quite good, nice surprise. But in the end I put my Voskhods near the same 6N6P=IR and the score was 10/10.
The magic was back. The perfect balance of what I need. So I will keep these ones and the others in a box. I will not sell anything at the moment because the pleasure of rolling them remains.
So I am one of those crazy guys who prefer Voskhod over the C3G. Hell knows why when all arguments and science contradicts me.
I love the Voskhods with the 6N6P, but found them too harsh with the 6N6P-IR. Anyone else had this?

May 26, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #11,088 of 13,448
It depends on the rest of the setup. For me 6N6P have too much bass because T1.2 are a kind of T1 V-shaped (or at least the bass is enhanced). The 6N6P-IR perfect balanced, no harshness and anything.

Jun 4, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #11,090 of 13,448
Anyone know anything about this?????
http://www.elusivedisc.com/The-Tube-Only-Violin-Hybrid-Stereo-SACD/productinfo/TACSA117/
It says; " veritable audiophile delicacy - lovingly preserved historic microphones, a mixing desk consisting of nostalgic V72 amplifiers and W85 regulators, the analogue M5 Telefunken tape recorder - each item a legend in itself! Tacet proudly presents this illustrious combination of equipment, here to preserve beautiful music “TUBE ONLY”, in other words without transistors."

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #11,091 of 13,448
So the C3G saga continues. I upgraded my T1.2 with a new cable made by some guys at Custom Cans (UK). This new cable brought me less highs and more bass. Or at least this is the initial impression.
Because of the new cable, I needed a tube change and somehow I decided to try again the C3G with the Jan Philips 6SN7 on the output and Gain set to 5. And what to say, it is a quite big improvement over my last session with them.

T1_Custom_Cans_Cable.jpg

So a cable changed my stuff here. I will let these a while and try to see if some burn in of the C3G and also of the cable will make me put this combination on position #1.
Until now, this setup using C3G is better than the previous one, and the only change is a headphone cable. Incredible.
Anyhow, this cable is really nice and flexible, and it has only 1.5m length, which suits me better.
The stock cable had 3m and I had to keep it rolled because it was too long. And judging by the price, Beyer stock cables are usually expensive, so a custom one is no big difference.

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #11,097 of 13,448
Hello

I'm quite new at this while tube rolling thing, but my grandparents seem to have quite a collection of tubes from the old days and I want to test them all.
I've also ordered some '70s Voskhod 6N23P tubes to use in both my Little Dot and my Hifiman EF2A.

Anyways, I found that it's possible to create an adapter to use one 9-pin tube in your otherwise exclusively 7-pin device (the Hifiman).
I've already ordered a "B9D 9 Pin Tube sockets experiment" broadboard for a reasonable price. (here)

I understand that I now need two socket savers/tube testers with 7 pins and attach wiring from the leads on the top of both socket savers to attach to the indicated places on the breadboard on which I mount the 9-pin tube.

Something like this:

5490918_thumb.jpg

Anyhow, even after hours of searching, I haven't found a single pair that's affordable. If I recall correctly, I can't even find a pair of similar adapters at all!

Would someone perhaps know a place where they can be had cheaper? I really want to swap different types of tubes, but this is just an experiment for me. I don't want to spend big $$ on something I mightn't use in the future...

Thank you!

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #11,098 of 13,448
Radio Daze doesn't seem to have these 7-pin test sockets anymore and I am not aware of another source. It is certainly possible that a pair might pop up on eBay, but it is impossible to know when. So in the end, if you can't purchase a pair, you might want to build a couple as outlined in this youtube video:

Good luck and have fun! :)

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #11,100 of 13,448
The last time I checked Leeds Radio stock, this is the 7-pin socket saver they had. I tried to solder wires to the wire pins extending out of the top, but didn't have any luck.

2013-05-02 13.00.46.jpg 2013-05-02 13.01.59.jpg

I used these to reroute the pins to allow me to run other pentodes, such as the 6AH6, However, it just might be possible to disassemble the saver, solder some wires to the pins inside and then route them out the top, But given that I had the Radio Daze test sockets, I didn't bother trying....

2013-06-04 14.53.02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back