Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Mar 8, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #10,831 of 13,432
Tomorrow I will receive my 6N6P-IR power tubes. But before that, I read something related to the difference between 6N6P and them. It seems 6N6P need 750mA and 6N6P-IR need more, 900mA.
I am sure these work fine on the MK3 which does not get as hot as the MK2 but can anyone confirm me that on MK2 these tubes are not creating any problems? I think about the circuitry and heat which might decrease lifetime or create other problems.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #10,832 of 13,432
  Tomorrow I will receive my 6N6P-IR power tubes. But before that, I read something related to the difference between 6N6P and them. It seems 6N6P need 750mA and 6N6P-IR need more, 900mA.
I am sure these work fine on the MK3 which does not get as hot as the MK2 but can anyone confirm me that on MK2 these tubes are not creating any problems? I think about the circuitry and heat which might decrease lifetime or create other problems.

Hi OctavianH,

One of the power tubes mentioned in the mk2 user manual is the 6N6P-I which also has a 900mA heater current so you shouldn't have trouble with the 6N6P-IR, (but I stand to be corrected) Little Dot i'm guessing would have tested the mk2 with the higher current power tubes so the components should be able to take the extra heat.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #10,833 of 13,432
I think you are right, I am worrying too much. In the meantime I made a spreadsheet with a comparison of the specs of MK2,3 and 4:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KoAQwmx_JDGqV4L5PpufFsREhiESPU8ZiSRvmVyj-Q0/edit?usp=sharing
If anyone is interested, just click on it. What I wanted to find out is the difference between the models in a more simple way (than just open each one's spec sheet). Link is public via Google Drive, and 2 remarks: dimensions are EU metric and price is the "worldwide" price from Little dot website.

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #10,834 of 13,432
  I think you are right, I am worrying too much. In the meantime I made a spreadsheet with a comparison of the specs of MK2,3 and 4:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KoAQwmx_JDGqV4L5PpufFsREhiESPU8ZiSRvmVyj-Q0/edit?usp=sharing
If anyone is interested, just click on it. What I wanted to find out is the difference between the models in a more simple way (than just open each one's spec sheet). Link is public via Google Drive, and 2 remarks: dimensions are EU metric and price is the "worldwide" price from Little dot website.

​Well I was the same with the EH6H30PI, no harm in asking!, nice work with the comparison spreadsheet.

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #10,835 of 13,432

​Well I was the same with the EH6H30PI, no harm in asking!, nice work with the comparison spreadsheet.

I see that people are apreciating it, so I will continue to improve it. I could not see anywhere in the internet a centralized version.
My conclusion is that MK 2,3 and 4 are basicly the same amp with 90% of the same specs but different quality components and stock tubes.
What was interesting for me was to see that only on MK2 they are specifying Max Input Voltage of 4V RMS. This is interesting since I ordered a Chord 2Qute to use with this amp and it has 3V on line out. I thought to order a 2Qute + MCRU power supply until GB goes out of EU and shipment might become more complicated for me. Impressions related to my new Chord + Littledot family will follow.

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #10,836 of 13,432
Mullard 8100's arrived today...
After some time burning in the Voskhod's for 70h,
I decided to give the Mullard's their try...
Out of the Box I think hear they fit a bit much better with the Beyerdynamic T90.
I'm not afraid to leave the volume knob alone, anymore...

I'm afraid the Tube rolling bug got me, next some 6H30 Power Tubes, maybe?!

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #10,837 of 13,432

Nice Job!  Thank you!

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #10,839 of 13,432
  Mullard 8100's arrived today...
After some time burning in the Voskhod's for 70h,
I decided to give the Mullard's their try...
Out of the Box I think hear they fit a bit much better with the Beyerdynamic T90.
I'm not afraid to leave the volume knob alone, anymore...

I'm afraid the Tube rolling bug got me, next some 6H30 Power Tubes, maybe?!

​Join the club Riddick!, I think we have all been bitten by the tube rolling bug!, seems to come with buying a tube amp!.

The M8100 is a great sounding tube, I like for it's fun sound and pumping bass, the 6H30 power tubes should go quite well with the M8100 and the T90, another slightly cheaper option and, if anything slightly better sounding is the 6N6-IR, that might work with your set up.

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #10,840 of 13,432
  I see that people are apreciating it, so I will continue to improve it. I could not see anywhere in the internet a centralized version.
My conclusion is that MK 2,3 and 4 are basicly the same amp with 90% of the same specs but different quality components and stock tubes.
What was interesting for me was to see that only on MK2 they are specifying Max Input Voltage of 4V RMS. This is interesting since I ordered a Chord 2Qute to use with this amp and it has 3V on line out. I thought to order a 2Qute + MCRU power supply until GB goes out of EU and shipment might become more complicated for me. Impressions related to my new Chord + Littledot family will follow.

​What you've done is make it easier for anyone thinking of getting a LD who has more than one of them in mind, I think you'll find a lot of people using it in future. :wink:

Btw have your 6N6P-IR arrived yet?.

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #10,841 of 13,432

​What you've done is make it easier for anyone thinking of getting a LD who has more than one of them in mind, I think you'll find a lot of people using it in future. :wink:

Btw have your 6N6P-IR arrived yet?.

Yes, they are at the Postal Office but today I didn't had time to go and get them. I plan this to happen tomorrow morning.
I ordered 4x6N6P-IR and 4xVoskhods... just to have some more :D

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #10,843 of 13,432

​Well I will be interested to hear what you think, hope you enjoy them!.

I really look forward. I expect also some 6HM5 to arrive sometime next week. And tomorrow I might receive the Chord DAC, so maybe that one wil be an improvement in the source and the 6N6P-IR + Voskhod and Chord will be the winning triple. We will see.

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #10,844 of 13,432
  I really look forward. I expect also some 6HM5 to arrive sometime next week. And tomorrow I might receive the Chord DAC, so maybe that one wil be an improvement in the source and the 6N6P-IR + Voskhod and Chord will be the winning triple. We will see.

​Sounds like you're going to be having some fun with your new gear, the Chord dac should do a good job for you, those 6HM5 are pretty damn fine tubes, for me, they are the best driver tubes for the LD, without resorting to adapters for the C3G, they are in my LD now with the 6n6p-ir, rocking out to some wicked tunes :).

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #10,845 of 13,432
 Originally Posted by Scutey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

​Join the club Riddick!, I think we have all been bitten by the tube rolling bug!, seems to come with buying a tube amp!.

The M8100 is a great sounding tube, I like for it's fun sound and pumping bass, the 6H30 power tubes should go quite well with the M8100 and the T90, another slightly cheaper option and, if anything slightly better sounding is the 6N6-IR, that might work with your set up.

I already have the 6N6P-i as power tubes.
You said the 6N6P-ir are more laid back than the 6N6P-i, right?

If so, I will try to get some...

I'm loving the Mullard's so far. The Highs are tamed but lush. They give a bit more punch. Overall a more "organic" sound. They go really well with the Beyer's...

I've some 6HM5 EC900 EI Yugoslavia on the way,too. What do think about these? Got them quite cheap to give them a try...

Any other suggestions for Power Tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back