Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jan 31, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #10,606 of 13,432

Does the MKIII need a mod for the 6h30-PI tubes? Or did they maybe change it? I'm pretty sure back in the day at least (like 2008/2009) it needed a mod, and trying to run those tubes in my MKIII is what killed it (though it worked for a couple weeks). Sorry - don't want to add any confusion I'm legit curious!

ScottieB:

I did not have to adjust settings nor did the Little Dot III need any Mod.  Sorry I don't know the year of manufacture.

Does the MKIII need a mod for the 6h30-PI tubes? Or did they maybe change it? I'm pretty sure back in the day at least (like 2008/2009) it needed a mod, and trying to run those tubes in my MKIII is what killed it (though it worked for a couple weeks). Sorry - don't want to add any confusion I'm legit curious!

ScottieB:

I did not have to adjust settings nor did the Little Dot III need any Mod.  Sorry I don't know the year of manufacture.

i own a Littledot MK3 and  my board is version v2.0 and i can use the 6H30PI with it . you can find your version # by looking under the amp with volume knob on top (north) and to the top right of the amp with a flashlight look in hole towards the side of the board and you should see your version 

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #10,607 of 13,432
   This is v1.0 cannot use the 6H30PI tubes with this version                                                                                                             

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #10,608 of 13,432

Thanks for your help!!!

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #10,609 of 13,432
Any help please?

Share2Care:

These are excellent Driver Tubes:

Telefunken 5654.  Also the Jan 5654 sound great as well.

I hope this helps.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #10,611 of 13,432
Just make sure your power amp is not DC coupled when using the LD as a pre, as the results can be disastrous. Its mentioned in the manual. Enjoy :) 

Lugbug, I don't know what the sh!t DC coupled means but luckily my setup sounds great, so I guess my QSC RMX 1450 isn't DC coupled but one thing it is, is badass. 240 wpc fed from the MK2. 

I just got the JAN 5654W tubes installed and I swear it sounds better. Before I had the treble turned down because it was grating and even started browsing for tweeter upgrades (I still might) but now I have the treble turned back to flat on the iTunes EQ and it sounds clear. I'll know if it's a placebo effect because I don't like overly bright music and eventually I'll turn it down if it bothers me. 

Question: is there a burn in time for the JAN 5654W tubes like the stock tubes? 

Love this forum, I've discovered a whole new world with tubes. However, I think I'm done, these JAN 5654W tubes sound great and could be the end of the road for me. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #10,612 of 13,432
I have seen the warning about not using the LD Mk3 with a DC-coupled power amp and always wondered what/how can I tell what is a DC-coupled amp. So I didn't dare to hook up my LD mk3 as a pre-amp to the NAD integrated amp C356BEE that I am using in my simple main system for fear of blowing my speakers. Can anyone tell me if it is safe for me to hook up the LD mk3 into the power amp section of the NAD 356BEE? I got this amp a few years ago particularly because the pre-amp and power amp sections could be used separately.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #10,613 of 13,432
Hi I bought these on ebay :  MATCHED Pair 6Z1P-EV 6J1 NOS Audio Little Bear NOS EF95  
and they arrived today, but they dont have the same markings, on the wrappings of the tube the person has stated para 11 but when i opened them one had 11 marking and the other 18!?

Im guessing they are not the same batch and the same yuear and probably not going to sound the same even though they are matched.. could someone advise me as i am new to the tube rolling business and aprehensive to use them?
should i send them back?

I also noticed the writing looks to be worn off and the lettering can only just be made out. they are both different again.

one ends in X1-76 and the other tube is 05-83

I'm guessing they are not the same tubes..

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Daniel

edit: they are to be used in my new LD mk2

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #10,614 of 13,432
  I have seen the warning about not using the LD Mk3 with a DC-coupled power amp and always wondered what/how can I tell what is a DC-coupled amp. So I didn't dare to hook up my LD mk3 as a pre-amp to the NAD integrated amp C356BEE that I am using in my simple main system for fear of blowing my speakers. Can anyone tell me if it is safe for me to hook up the LD mk3 into the power amp section of the NAD 356BEE? I got this amp a few years ago particularly because the pre-amp and power amp sections could be used separately.

I've been playing my LD MK2 through the "Main amp" section of a NAD 320 BEE without any problems (so far), bypassing the preamp section of the NAD. I assumed this was OK but I'm not so sure now. Is this a disaster waiting to happen?

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #10,615 of 13,432

Share2Care:

These are excellent Driver Tubes:

Telefunken 5654.  Also the Jan 5654 sound great as well.

I hope this helps.

Thank you kind Sir!

Would those be their full names for searching? I am a complete noob but looking forward to tubes and solids being part of my setups. Best website to get them from as I am in the UK but am used to ordering World Wide.

Lastly, the tubes on a little MK1, should they be matched? Better sound? Better acoustics after burn in? Bettor life of the tube or just pick two of the same, roughly same year and good to go LOL? :)   I see many different views on this. Would matching be more important in high end amps?

Thank you my friend! 

Cheers :)

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #10,616 of 13,432
  Thank you kind Sir!

Would those be their full names for searching? I am a complete noob but looking forward to tubes and solids being part of my setups. Best website to get them from as I am in the UK but am used to ordering World Wide.

Lastly, the tubes on a little MK1, should they be matched? Better sound? Better acoustics after burn in? Bettor life of the tube or just pick two of the same, roughly same year and good to go LOL? :)   I see many different views on this. Would matching be more important in high end amps?

Thank you my friend! 

Share2Care:

Just search 5654 Tubes (Tube Depot is one good place) and many brands will come up in the search.  Get a matched pair.  If you get them from Tube Depot you can select High Gain, Low noise and Matched Pairs on some of their tubes.

Good Luck

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #10,617 of 13,432
  Just make sure your power amp is not DC coupled when using the LD as a pre, as the results can be disastrous. Its mentioned in the manual. Enjoy :) 

Lugbug, I don't know what the sh!t DC coupled means but luckily my setup sounds great, so I guess my QSC RMX 1450 isn't DC coupled but one thing it is, is badass. 240 wpc fed from the MK2. 

I just got the JAN 5654W tubes installed and I swear it sounds better. Before I had the treble turned down because it was grating and even started browsing for tweeter upgrades (I still might) but now I have the treble turned back to flat on the iTunes EQ and it sounds clear. I'll know if it's a placebo effect because I don't like overly bright music and eventually I'll turn it down if it bothers me. 

Question: is there a burn in time for the JAN 5654W tubes like the stock tubes? 

Love this forum, I've discovered a whole new world with tubes. However, I think I'm done, these JAN 5654W tubes sound great and could be the end of the road for me. 

TontoGoldstein:

Those Jan 5654 are awesome.  They will need some break in as did the stock tubes.  Just check the Little Dot user guide as they don't recommend lengthy burn-in for many hours straight.

Happy Listening!

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #10,618 of 13,432
  Thank you kind Sir!

Thank you my friend! 

Matched tubes are NOT required for a LD MK1/2/3/4, matching preamp tubes is a way for the vendor to get an extra $5-$10 from you, that's all. Power tubes that are in a Push/Pull configuration must be matched to equalize the pairs current. Our LD amps do not use power tubes and are not in a Push/Pull configuration.

Matched pairs of preamp tubes will not sound better or last longer than a pair that is not matched.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #10,619 of 13,432

Matched tubes are NOT required for a LD MK1/2/3/4, matching preamp tubes is a way for the vendor to get an extra $5-$10 from you, that's all. Power tubes that are in a Push/Pull configuration must be matched to equalize the pairs current. Our LD amps do not use power tubes and are not in a Push/Pull configuration.

Matched pairs of preamp tubes will not sound better or last longer than a pair that is not matched.

Really appreciate the straight forward clarification @TrollDragon on the Little Do MK1. I have been reading posts fter posts, reviews after reviews and some is subjective, some really do make a difference but I never could understand a worthwhile improvement on a Little Dot MK1.

I will be getting a Darkvoice 336SE OTL very shortly. May be needing some more tube guidance I am afraid. Do not want to be a burden or annoying but believe tubes really do play a role!

Thanks for your help.:)

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #10,620 of 13,432

TollDragon:

Thanks for the clarification.  I just thought a matched pair would be better than an unmatched pair (that is if the pair is way off with bench measurements)

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back