Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Aug 4, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #9,782 of 13,434
Just received my pair of C3G adapters and rolled them in...sounded pretty bad when paired with some generic 6SN7s as power tubes but improved noticeably when i used a pair of 6N1Ps as power tubes. There's no noticeable hum either.

Actually i kinda preferred the sound of 6SN7/12AU7 (single tube driving both channels with MIKELAP's adapter) pairing but there's some serious humming going on in the background which is irritating. Not sure if this is due to some ground loop issues or just sensitive tubes catching all the stray RF transmissions...

Hi R.

You would appear to be one of the few very unlucky ones where something in the system/environment doesn't agree with the C3gs...it always saddens me to hear of such cases - denying people the wonderful potential of this tube...but don't forget they keep improving up to well over 50 hrs burn-in, as will the adapters (which may well not be helping to achieve full potential, alas!). It might just be worth seeking out any potential source of interference, or upgrading the power cord etc...and then giving them more time.

I wish you the best of luck...

Cheers!

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #9,783 of 13,434

Hi R.

You would appear to be one of the few very unlucky ones where something in the system/environment doesn't agree with the C3gs...it always saddens me to hear of such cases - denying people the wonderful potential of this tube...but don't forget they keep improving up to well over 50 hrs burn-in, as will the adapters (which may well not be helping to achieve full potential, alas!). It might just be worth seeking out any potential source of interference, or upgrading the power cord etc...and then giving them more time.

I wish you the best of luck...

Cheers!

They can't be paired with sensitive cans, my T70 have a slight buzz with the c3gs, my HD650 sound absolutely amazing with them.

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #9,784 of 13,434

They can't be paired with sensitive cans, my T70 have a slight buzz with the c3gs, my HD650 sound absolutely amazing with them.

Hi mab...long time no speak, mon ami - I'm afraid all my time and energies are now with my Elise...the MKIV SE sits pining in the attic I'm ashamed to say (I feel so guilty!).

So your T70s buzz with the C3gs?...strange... I have the T1s, which have higher impedance but about the same sensitivity, and the sound I am now getting is truly wonderful. And have never had the slightest hint of buzz.

The only possible occasional 'niggle' with the Siemens/T1 combo can come with recordings that are excessively biased in the treble arena, or with those unfortunates who are extremely sensitive to certain treble frequencies. But this can usually be remedied by either slightly modding the T1s, or by careful choice of power tubes...depending as well of course on the source/DAC.
I personally found another way of 'taming' the uber-extended treble, which also brought other unexpected benefits : as you know, I love my pure silver in the C3g adapters but that occasional sharpness got me thinking about the possibility of helping the silver by adding some single-crystal copper wire...and it worked!...smoother treble; more extended bass and mids, with even greater tonal range throughout the entire frequency spectrum. And as a tongue-in-cheek experiment I also added gold wire to them (only on g1 though!), and the best qualities of the other two metals were married together in a wonderful synergy...I was gobsmacked lol!
This, especially when coupled with the fabulous GEC CV2523 (6AS7G) powers in my Elise has taken this amp to a whole new level...just as we did with our LDs...
biggrin.gif

Oh happy day...
wink.gif

CHEERS!

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #9,785 of 13,434

Hi mab...long time no speak, mon ami - I'm afraid all my time and energies are now with my Elise...the MKIV SE sits pining in the attic I'm ashamed to say (I feel so guilty!).

So your T70s buzz with the C3gs?...strange... I have the T1s, which have higher impedance but about the same sensitivity, and the sound I am now getting is truly wonderful. And have never had the slightest hint of buzz.

The only possible occasional 'niggle' with the Siemens/T1 combo can come with recordings that are excessively biased in the treble arena, or with those unfortunates who are extremely sensitive to certain treble frequencies. But this can usually be remedied by either slightly modding the T1s, or by careful choice of power tubes...depending as well of course on the source/DAC.
I personally found another way of 'taming' the uber-extended treble, which also brought other unexpected benefits : as you know, I love my pure silver in the C3g adapters but that occasional sharpness got me thinking about the possibility of helping the silver by adding some single-crystal copper wire...and it worked!...smoother treble; more extended bass and mids, with even greater tonal range throughout the entire frequency spectrum. And as a tongue-in-cheek experiment I also added gold wire to them (only on g1 though!), and the best qualities of the other two metals were married together in a wonderful synergy...I was gobsmacked lol!
This, especially when coupled with the fabulous GEC CV2523 (6AS7G) powers in my Elise has taken this amp to a whole new level...just as we did with our LDs...
biggrin.gif

Oh happy day...
wink.gif

CHEERS!

Wow that Elise amp looks really nice, kinda like a single ended WA22 with no tube rectifier, jealous! Most of my listening is now on my Lyr2 with my HE-500, got some nice Valvo red E88CC.

The T70 mostly didn't like the power of the 6SN7, they worked much better with the 6SU7GTY (6SL7) I picked up, gain 3 too! They really don't need much power. The cg3 is just so detailed you can hear the buzz even though it was subtle. 

Good to hear from you!

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #9,786 of 13,434
  Wow that Elise amp looks really nice, kinda like a single ended WA22 with no tube rectifier, jealous! Most of my listening is now on my Lyr2 with my HE-500, got some nice Valvo red E88CC.

The T70 mostly didn't like the power of the 6SN7, they worked much better with the 6SU7GTY (6SL7) I picked up, gain 3 too! They really don't need much power. The cg3 is just so detailed you can hear the buzz even though it was subtle. 

Good to hear from you!

Nice to see you're still in head-fi land mab, and that you appear to be enjoying your Lyr2.

This tube (and combination thereof)/amp/headphone synergy thing sure can be a very mysterious minefield, lol! Which makes these threads a godsend for at least trying to avoid making too many (expensive!) blunders...but still we make them!! (All to aid in the advancement of what WAS a dying area of hi-fi, but which certainly now has quite an extensive following...
biggrin.gif
...especially with so many great guys in threads like this one...).

As for the Elise, it has turned out to be beyond my greatest hopes and expectations...never even dreamt the Feliks-Audio guys would actually take up my suggestion for the amp in the first place! And everyone else so far seems to be delighted - if not ecstatic! - with it (thank goodness!!
wink.gif
).

Keep the faith, lol!
CJ

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #9,787 of 13,434
been lurking here for awhile, just thought I would share this:
I have been looking at a Little Dot Mark II forever daydreaming, three weeks ago I came home to a package on the porch? My Wife had ordered me one !
banana.gif
First thing I did (besides thanking her !) I ordered some GE JAN 5654W 6AK5 tubes , listened to the stock tubes for awhile ,meh too subdued for my taste, rolled in the 5654W's and oh my god ! sweet wonderful sound
music.gif
I can hear fine details I never heard in records I have had for years , next I'm getting some Russian 6N6P-IR to use as power tubes. My wife supports my hobby completely, I am blessed to have her ...
biggrin.gif
  My cans are Sennheiser HD598's, hmmm may have to buy some new cans also ,any suggestions under $500 ?

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #9,788 of 13,434
@darksolstice

I am using the exactly same type of power tubes with my LD MKIII. I had used 5654W driver tubes for a while and liked them very much. But if your LD MKII can take C3gs with some adapters, it is a significant update, which is what I have now. I am quite satisfied. Cost is about $150 though.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #9,789 of 13,434
  @darksolstice

I am using the exactly same type of power tubes with my LD MKIII. I had used 5654W driver tubes for a while and liked them very much. But if your LD MKII can take C3gs with some adapters, it is a significant update, which is what I have now. I am quite satisfied. Cost is about $150 though.

I have read a huge amount of this thread but I'm not sure if the MKll can run C3gs, but if it can I'm all about the sound quality.

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #9,791 of 13,434

I have read a huge amount of this thread but I'm not sure if the MKll can run C3gs, but if it can I'm all about the sound quality.

It can use it, but in my humble opinion its not worth it if u dont use 6AS7 type power tubes.

I use C3Gs on my MK II in conjunction with 6SN7s and think it's quite "worth it".

-Mark in St. Louis

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #9,792 of 13,434

It can use it, but in my humble opinion its not worth it if u dont use 6AS7 type power tubes.

I use C3Gs on my MK II in conjunction with 6SN7s and think it's quite "worth it".

-Mark in St. Louis

I also like the combo been on the mk3 for months now

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #9,793 of 13,434

I also like the combo been on the mk3 for months now

same combo i use in my MK IV for over a year now, no looking back.

Aug 16, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #9,795 of 13,434
What is the best tube for classical music? Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV, Mullard M8100, or Mullard M8161? I am using Little Dot 1+ amp and Sennheiser HD 598 headphone.

I took a look at some of your other posts. I mean, Classical music spans +500 years and includes everything from bombastic orchestral works to Early Music featuring [very quiet] lutes, and everything in between. It was good to see you define your tastes. Given your predisposition for the violin, I'd suggest the Mullard M8100. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back