Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Aug 3, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #9,766 of 13,438
  This is a pretty reputable dealer on ebay. I'm about to pull the trigger on this set soon for my Little Dot I+

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291043635707?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

In the past, I bought several pairs from this vendor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pc-or-more-6J1P-EV-EF95-6F32-6AK7-gold-plated-and-platinized-grid-NOS-NIB-/131455349947

Matching drivers is not required in the LD, so just buy two, or three, or four. :)

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #9,767 of 13,438

In the past, I bought several pairs from this vendor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pc-or-more-6J1P-EV-EF95-6F32-6AK7-gold-plated-and-platinized-grid-NOS-NIB-/131455349947

Matching drivers is not required in the LD, so just buy two, or three, or four. :) 

Ok awesome. Thanks for the link! Any problems coming from Russia?

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #9,768 of 13,438
Hello all,

I've received a pair of Svetlana 6J1P-E of 1966, with 2 pairs of Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV, one from 1978 and one from 1981.

I have to burn in all of them, but I don't know the Svetlana, the seller has put it as a gift in the package, do you know them ? What kind of sound compared to the Voskhod ?

And will I normally a sound color different from the 2 pairs of Voskhod ? Is the year, 1978 or 1981 in the kind of sound ?

Thank you for your answer :)

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #9,769 of 13,438
  This is a pretty reputable dealer on ebay. I'm about to pull the trigger on this set soon for my Little Dot I+

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291043635707?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Before i was talking about a mistake i made well this seller is it ,not because of reputation but pricewize you can do alot better than that .

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #9,771 of 13,438
  Hello all,

I've received a pair of Svetlana 6J1P-E of 1966, with 2 pairs of Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV, one from 1978 and one from 1981.

I have to burn in all of them, but I don't know the Svetlana, the seller has put it as a gift in the package, do you know them ? What kind of sound compared to the Voskhod ?

And will I normally a sound color different from the 2 pairs of Voskhod ? Is the year, 1978 or 1981 in the kind of sound ?

Thank you for your answer :)

I don't know that anyone has directly compared the Svetlana and Voshkods and posted their observations here. Further, I don't know that anyone has directly compared and posted about different years of Voshkods either.

But yes, the year of manufacture can and often does make a difference in the sound. For example, in a different amp (Lyr), various years of Voshkod 6N23P have been compared and there is some consensus that those manufactured in the mid-1970s are the best. So I would expect that if you were able to obtain samples of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV manufactured over any 10 year period, it is almost a given that they will not all sound the same.

And the same is true regarding other manufacturers, whether American, European or Russian. Construction techniques and materials were constantly changing over the years, and thus the sonics were changing as well.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #9,772 of 13,438
As a rule, Russian tubes made before the fall of Communism seem to be of better quality than later ones. In this category I am not including Tung Sol re-issue tubes and similar ones that are being manufactured today.

If you can buy NOS Russian tubes, try to get from the 70s rather than the 80's when it come to tubes for the Little Dot.

What Mikelap and Gibosi have pointed out is absolutely true - the tube you are paying $1 for from Russia is the same tube that goes for $18 elsewhere. The only drawback ordering from the Soviet Union is the shipping time, which can take 4 weeks to the US.

(And in recognition of Trolldragon's and Oskari's efforts on this blog, the correct spelling is VOSKHOD, no vosh or whatever. And that famous maker is called Philips, not Phillips like in screwdriver - I hope I got it right LOL.)

900x900px-LL-158366f8_j8woize.jpeg

This picture shows the difference between Philips and Phillips:

900x900px-LL-16456a49_10112013554phsc.jpeg

Have fun!

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #9,773 of 13,438
Just received my pair of C3G adapters and rolled them in...sounded pretty bad when paired with some generic 6SN7s as power tubes but improved noticeably when i used a pair of 6N1Ps as power tubes. There's no noticeable hum either.

Actually i kinda preferred the sound of 6SN7/12AU7 (single tube driving both channels with MIKELAP's adapter) pairing but there's some serious humming going on in the background which is irritating. Not sure if this is due to some ground loop issues or just sensitive tubes catching all the stray RF transmissions...

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #9,774 of 13,438
Thanks for your answers :)

Now I have to wait for the burn in of these 3 pairs of tubes that I have (it will take a long time if I have to wait for 100h for each pair...) and after I will try to give my opinion about the sound if I can see a difference ! ^^ (and also if I can translate it in english because I'm from France :) ).

Just another question : all the tubes that I've received are in a new packaging (home made I think), and the tubes seem really brand new, their appearance are really shiny, both for the glass part and for the contacts.
I wonder how the appearance can be so shiny for tubes that are approximately 50 years old.
Could it be fake ones ? Are there a lot of fake tubes ? Or is it the "normal shape" if they have been well conserved ?
Mine are coming from Russia so I assume that the probability of fake is less than if I order from other countries (for russian tubes of course) ?

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #9,775 of 13,438
Just received my pair of C3G adapters and rolled them in...sounded pretty bad when paired with some generic 6SN7s as power tubes but improved noticeably when i used a pair of 6N1Ps as power tubes. There's no noticeable hum either.

Actually i kinda preferred the sound of 6SN7/12AU7 (single tube driving both channels with MIKELAP's adapter) pairing but there's some serious humming going on in the background which is irritating. Not sure if this is due to some ground loop issues or just sensitive tubes catching all the stray RF transmissions...

Try reseating the tubes and adapter.  If you are using a power strip, try moving plug from one outlet on the adapter to another.

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #9,776 of 13,438
  Thanks for your answers :)

Now I have to wait for the burn in of these 3 pairs of tubes that I have (it will take a long time if I have to wait for 100h for each pair...) and after I will try to give my opinion about the sound if I can see a difference ! ^^ (and also if I can translate it in english because I'm from France :) ).

Just another question : all the tubes that I've received are in a new packaging (home made I think), and the tubes seem really brand new, their appearance are really shiny, both for the glass part and for the contacts.
I wonder how the appearance can be so shiny for tubes that are approximately 50 years old.
Could it be fake ones ? Are there a lot of fake tubes ? Or is it the "normal shape" if they have been well conserved ?
Mine are coming from Russia so I assume that the probability of fake is less than if I order from other countries (for russian tubes of course) ?

Countless tubes have been made there, so odds are they are the real deal.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #9,778 of 13,438

I guess im lucky never had any hum problem with any of the adapters that includes the ones i made for the C3G'S Ive been using 6SN7 and C3G combo for awhile now and it sounds good i guess your problem is interference somewhere in the chain not pleasant for shure

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #9,780 of 13,438

I guess im lucky never had any hum problem with any of the adapters that includes the ones i made for the C3G'S Ive been using 6SN7 and C3G combo for awhile now and it sounds good i guess your problem is interference somewhere in the chain not pleasant for shure

I've been using the same combo for well over a year, it's my HD650's best friend. I'm still using TungSol 6SN7 re-issue. I really wanna complete it with some nice VT-231 one day.

That rig hasn't got much love recently with my new HE-500 and Lyr2. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back