Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jul 31, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #9,751 of 13,438
  Hello all,

First of all, thanks for this topic on wich we can find a huge amount of information concerning tube rolling !

I've recently bought a Little Dot I+ for my AKG Q701. I've bought it with the standard 6J1 tubes and I found it souded great !

Following the comments of many people I decided to buy a pair of Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV. I've also ordered an OPA2107 that I'm still waiting for.

I've received the voskhod yesterday and I must say that I'm a bit disappointed about them. In fact, the mids and trebles are really detailed, and more "clean" than the 6J1, but I also find that there is less bass than with the 6J1, and maybe too loud high-mids. It is exactly what are, from my point of view, the 2 weak points of the Q701.

But what is strange is that I read that Voskhod have really good bass, so I wonder why for the moment I found the bass less present than with the standard 6J1 ? Do they need some burn in ?

Or maybe the Voskhod are well adapted for Sennheiser earphones, but less for AKG ?

What do you think ?

Thanks for your help. :wink:

Arent the 701 bright or neutral to start with ? What i found warmed up the sound on my MK3 with my SENNS HD800 was using the 6sn7 variety as power tubes but i needed an adapter for that  but if i remember correctly i dont remember the VOSHKOD as being bassy but being more on the brighter, clean sounding  side .And consensus on burnin is 100+ hours .Personnally i did not like them to neutral if i remember correctly its been awhile since i listened to those .As they say different strokes for different folks . Check out page 585 post # 8766                                                                                                                                                

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #9,752 of 13,438
  Hello all,

First of all, thanks for this topic on wich we can find a huge amount of information concerning tube rolling !

I've recently bought a Little Dot I+ for my AKG Q701. I've bought it with the standard 6J1 tubes and I found it souded great !

Following the comments of many people I decided to buy a pair of Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV. I've also ordered an OPA2107 that I'm still waiting for.

I've received the voskhod yesterday and I must say that I'm a bit disappointed about them. In fact, the mids and trebles are really detailed, and more "clean" than the 6J1, but I also find that there is less bass than with the 6J1, and maybe too loud high-mids. It is exactly what are, from my point of view, the 2 weak points of the Q701.

But what is strange is that I read that Voskhod have really good bass, so I wonder why for the moment I found the bass less present than with the standard 6J1 ? Do they need some burn in ?

Or maybe the Voskhod are well adapted for Sennheiser earphones, but less for AKG ?

What do you think ?

Thanks for your help. :wink:

I had to let these tubes cook for more than 30 hours before they started to sound good.  Most if not all tubes benefit from a minimum of 20 hours of cooking. I have had tubes take well over 50 hours before they started to shine.

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #9,754 of 13,438

I had to let these tubes cook for more than 30 hours before they started to sound good.  Most if not all tubes benefit from a minimum of 20 hours of cooking. I have had tubes take well over 50 hours before they started to shine.

For the burn in, you only need to have your headphones connected to the amp, and obviously have it powered up.  There is no need to have music playing.

Aug 2, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #9,756 of 13,438
Hi fragger 008,

Just close your eyes and count to 120 - just joking; the Voskhods really need some 110-120 hours of burn in to mellow out, and they will really change, all for the better.

IMHO opinion it makes sense to play music or white noise when burning in the tubes; don't know if just leaving the amp on is the best way to go. I used a repeating track playing different frequencies that I got from jlab - it was free.

http://www.jlabaudio.com/pages/audio-burn-in

Good luck!

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #9,757 of 13,438
  Hi fragger 008,

Just close your eyes and count to 120 - just joking; the Voskhods really need some 110-120 hours of burn in to mellow out, and they will really change, all for the better.

IMHO opinion it makes sense to play music or white noise when burning in the tubes; don't know if just leaving the amp on is the best way to go. I used a repeating track playing different frequencies that I got from jlab - it was free.

http://www.jlabaudio.com/pages/audio-burn-in

Good luck!

It has nothing to do with audio playing with the tubes, it actually is related to the tubes getting warm, hence the term "cooking."

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #9,759 of 13,438
  Ok thanks for your answers :)

So I'm waiting for a pair of matched Voskhod as the one that I ordered was not, and I will do the "cooking" of the Voskhof directly with these matched pair. :wink:

By the way in our amps you dont need to buy match pairs i made that mistake once .as long as they are same brand and similar structure its good enough with matched pairs you just overpay for nothing

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #9,760 of 13,438

By the way in our amps you dont need to buy match pairs i made that mistake once .as long as they are same brand and similar structure its good enough with matched pairs you just overpay for nothing

Yes in fact I get this information after ordering a matched pair, but for next time I will be aware of that and I will not make the mistake anymore :)

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #9,761 of 13,438
Hi mimart7,

I have a friend who is a retired A/V engineer and I asked him about burning in tubes. He agreed with you; it is just a case of burning off extra electrons, so I shall stand corrected.

Apparently burn in with music or white noise etc is warranted for speakers and headphones with moving parts, but that's another story.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #9,762 of 13,438
I have my mass drop mkiii due to arrive on Wednesday. Can anyone give me the numbers for the coal hod tubes & the best place to score them.thanks

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #9,764 of 13,438
This is a pretty reputable dealer on ebay. I'm about to pull the trigger on this set soon for my Little Dot I+

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291043635707?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back