Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Mar 16, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #5,431 of 13,434
That is interesting, before I picked up the German Maestro's as my closed can I asked HiFiGuy528 about a neutral pair of closed. He has the MB Quart version which was German Maestro's previous company, also his major recommendation was the AKG 550's. He likes them so much he has two pairs, I have not heard them but would like to one of these days. Are they to neutral for your liking?

I actually think they sound good... good bass extension and mids... the treble is never biting or bright, it just seems like it is missing something. Decent imaging, sound stage and no bass bleed (these are not bass head cans by any means lol) I did have to modify the ear pads and bend the headband to get a good seal... without doing that they were not usable and sounded awful. If I can make these fit a little better (why couldn't AKG use the k/q7xx headbands?) I'll keep them.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #5,432 of 13,434
  My pleasure if it helped you out . Theres  no rush anymore  time to take it easy for my part .

Really thank you lol

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #5,433 of 13,434
  I actually think they sound good... good bass extension and mids... the treble is never biting or bright, it just seems like it is missing something. Decent imaging, sound stage and no bass bleed (these are not bass head cans by any means lol) I did have to modify the ear pads and bend the headband to get a good seal... without doing that they were not usable and sounded awful. If I can make these fit a little better (why couldn't AKG use the k/q7xx headbands?) I'll keep them.

Thanks for the sound info, yes I have read a lot about the fit issues. I'll really have to find a place to try these before I'd blind order them.
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #5,434 of 13,434

Thanks for the sound info, yes I have read a lot about the fit issues. I'll really have to find a place to try these before I'd blind order them.
beerchug.gif

Amazon... so you can send em back if you hate them!

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #5,435 of 13,434
  Amazon... so you can send em back if you hate them!

Canada here... so the shipping back to Amazon with tracking would be a killer. I sent an Audioengine D1 (Great DAC, schiit amp) back to B&H without tracking through regular mail and had anxiety the whole time it was in transit that it wouldn't get lost or stolen...

You 'mericans have a seriously great dealie with your country wide shipping and Amazon returns.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #5,437 of 13,434
Hi,

I have a problem - I am perfectly happy with my MKIII IR-8FQ7 set-up, and I don't feel the need to upgrade to a $2000 amp. Is something wrong with me?

I agree that the Woos and Deuces look much nicer than my 1925 styling spider web amp, but to me it does not matter.

Waiting for two adapters from China to try 6SN7 tubes as power tubes, but that's it for curiosity (meanwhile).

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #5,438 of 13,434
I don't have a problem. (Or at least any that I am willing to discuss here! lol)

I am not at all unhappy with my LD1+ MUSES02/6SN7 set-up. But that said, eventually, I would like to be able to roll output tubes instead of op amps. So I expect that I will purchase another amp someday, but not any time soon, and very fortunately for my wallet, it will not be necessary to spend $2000 to do this. :)

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #5,439 of 13,434

I really do look forward to seeing your finished product, and i hope they sound as good as they look!

Well mab, miracle of miracles - the Psvanes have arrived! And quicker from Hong Kong than Germany sometimes!

So here are a couple of pics....they do tower over the C3GSs somewhat, but I prefer that to the "little" DRs behind....and I finally have my curves!!

So how do they sound, I hear you ask? Given that they are supposed to be at their best after100 (yes, one hundred!) hours, all I can say is WOW! Straight out of the box, and with new bought adapters (NOT with my beloved silver wire, alas - YET), I seriously believe they have the potential to even surpass the 6N30P-DRs - and that's not wishful thinking. I was not expecting this AT ALL (especially at half the price...). Bass has even more weight; mids are even more present; nothing is compromising the magic of the C3GSs - just a slight edge to the upper end, but nowhere near as much as I would have expected given all is new. In other words I am totally blown away - already!!

Will keep you posted...

I'm in love...AGAIN...

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #5,440 of 13,434

Well mab, miracle of miracles - the Psvanes have arrived! And quicker from Hong Kong than Germany sometimes!

So here are a couple of pics....they do tower over the C3GSs somewhat, but I prefer that to the "little" DRs behind....and I finally have my curves!!

So how do they sound, I hear you ask? Given that they are supposed to be at their best after100 (yes, one hundred!) hours, all I can say is WOW! Straight out of the box, and with new bought adapters (NOT with my beloved silver wire, alas - YET), I seriously believe they have the potential to even surpass the 6N30P-DRs - and that's not wishful thinking. I was not expecting this AT ALL (especially at half the price...). Bass has even more weight; mids are even more present; nothing is compromising the magic of the C3GSs - just a slight edge to the upper end, but nowhere near as much as I would have expected given all is new. In other words I am totally blown away - already!!

Will keep you posted...

I'm in love...AGAIN...

Now i feel more fire to get the c3gs' and make the adapters.

congrats! looks amazing!

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #5,442 of 13,434
LD 4 looks great !

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #5,443 of 13,434
Thanks a lot guys for the encouraging messages...had been having a good few serious doubts up 'til now! But thankfully, they're all blown away...

mab : I am sure the C3GSs are providing the real magic here, so if you get the chance, take the plunge!

artsi : A real pleasure to get your approval also...but as for going 15kg...I'll pass on that one, thank you very much!

mike : I still like your WA2, you lucky feller!

Cheers (breathes a sigh of relief...- is there a smiley for such?!)

Mar 17, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #5,445 of 13,434
  Thanks a lot guys for the encouraging messages...had been having a good few serious doubts up 'til now! But thankfully, they're all blown away...

mab : I am sure the C3GSs are providing the real magic here, so if you get the chance, take the plunge!

artsi : A real pleasure to get your approval also...but as for going 15kg...I'll pass on that one, thank you very much!

mike : I still like your WA2, you lucky feller!

Cheers (breathes a sigh of relief...- is there a smiley for such?!)

I would like to build adapters like you did to clean up my amp since it's a mess with all these wires going to the vector adapters for my 6SU7 tube.

Hopefully soon I'll have the patience and ambition to get it done. If i order the tubes I'll be on the hook to get it done once they tubes are on my desk staring at me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back