Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Mar 16, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #5,401 of 13,432
  What are the sonic characteristics of the 6hm5? And what kind of adaptor would I need to use it?

they are stock compatible in EF95 mode

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/1140#post_9392055

They are very spacious and detailed with good dynamics... VS the 6AK5 family of tubes its a big step up... I had the Mullard 8083 at one point and greatly preferred 6HM5, 6DT6, 6AV6 heck even the EH90.

The point being is the traditional tubes these amps were designed around may be good... but there are far better... start with the post I linked above as a reference and check out all the tube reviews myself and others have done throughout this thread. I'd limit your searches to the 6HM5, 6DT6 and 6AV6.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #5,402 of 13,432
  they are stock compatible in EF95 mode

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/1140#post_9392055

They are very spacious and detailed with good dynamics... VS the 6AK5 family of tubes its a big step up... I had the Mullard 8083 at one point and greatly preferred 6HM5, 6DT6, 6AV6 heck even the EH90.

The point being is the traditional tubes these amps were designed around may be good... but there are far better... start with the post I linked above as a reference and check out all the tube reviews myself and others have done throughout this thread. I'd limit your searches to the 6HM5, 6DT6 and 6AV6.

Just to follow up. 6HM5, 6DT6 and 6AV6 these types will work without any type of modification on the Dot +?

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #5,404 of 13,432
Hello again guys!
Im in the last steps of completing my adapter, picture tutorial follows
wink.gif

Do you know what setting I should set to use the c3g-s? Ef95 or ef92?
Does it make a big difference?

I do not recall exactly how the pins are strapped in order to use c3gs, but as best I can remember, you are using pin 7, and if so, it would make a major difference. In the ef92 setting you would be connecting pin 7 to the anode (pin 5). But I believe in your adapter, you are connecting pin 7 to the cathode. So...  connecting the cathode directly to the anode is definitely not something you want to do. Again, as best I can recall, you are making the c3gs look like a ef95, so I think you would use that setting.

But again, I haven't tried to use a c3s, so I encourage you to study the pins to see exactly how they are connected, and then figure out if pin 7 should, or should not, be connected to pins 5 and 6.

Good luck!

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #5,405 of 13,432
  Just to follow up. 6HM5, 6DT6 and 6AV6 these types will work without any type of modification on the Dot +?

6HM5 use EF95 setting, 6DT6 use EF91-92 or EF95 PLUS 1/7 wire mod and 2/7 wire mod (page 77) .Finally the 6AV6  tube uses EF91-92 setting BUT PINS 5 AND 6 HAVE TO BE CUTOFF AND ELECTRICAL TAPE APPLIED ON WHERE THE PINS USE TO BE TO PREVENT ANY CONTACT here are  few pictures of the 6AV6 mod                                                                                                                                                                              

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #5,406 of 13,432
Mar 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #5,407 of 13,432
  Well its a done deal i am the proud owner of a gorgeous Woo Audio 2 tube amp .My treat picture wise of course lol.                                                                                                                                                                                            

WELL DONE MIKE! ... So, mon ami, you've beaten me to some nice curvy tubes? You are definitely off my Xmas card list!

Enjoy your new level in headfi land, and look forward to your impressions on how our humble LDs compare (I feel the green-eyed monster lurking over my shoulder!..).

Sante

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #5,408 of 13,432
  6HM5 use EF95 setting, 6DT6 use EF91-92 or EF95 PLUS 1/7 wire mod and 2/7 wire mod (page 77) .Finally the 6AV6  tube uses EF91-92 setting BUT PINS 5 AND 6 HAVE TO BE CUTOFF AND ELECTRICAL TAPE APPLIED ON WHERE THE PINS USE TO BE TO PREVENT ANY CONTACT here are  few pictures of the 6AV6 mod                                                                                                                                                                              

Awesome thanks. I will find some 6hm5 tubes. Since they require no mods. I had no idea there were ways to explore so many more tube families.  Are new tubes still being made today? Do you forsee some company producing new vacuum tubes for the audiofille consumers?

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #5,409 of 13,432
Hello again guys!
Im in the last steps of completing my adapter, picture tutorial follows
wink.gif

Do you know what setting I should set to use the c3g-s? Ef95 or ef92?
Does it make a big difference?

Hi there CR13.

Look forward to seeing your handiwork on those adapters...hope you haven't encountered too many tricky moments!

I presume you linked as per my post on page 312 (EF95 setting), and I have had no problems at all linking C3g pins 2 and 7 together...

Also look forward to your impressions of the C3GSs - remember they continue to improve with 30+ hours

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #5,410 of 13,432
So, the adapter is half done, its usable but not pretty, have to tidy up the wires and such... :wink:
But I can already say I am really impressed!
I got the siemens C3g-s as driver and sylvania 6sn7gt (bad boys???) as power tube and i have to say that the effort is more than worth it.
This combinatiom really sings in my setup!
(Btw i wired everything with silver plated solid core copper...)
So i can encourage every ld owner to try these great tubes and build (or buy?) adapters!

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #5,411 of 13,432
  Is there an ultimate tube for the Hybrid Little Dot +. I have about a dozen pairs. But I only listen to the Sylvania Gold Brand 408. And Mullard 8083. Should I stop looking or is there better tubes for the Dot + out there.
Really like warmth, musicality and soundstage.

As already mentioned, there are tubes that will perform much better even than the (very good) 6HM5. If you are prepared to do some relatively simple mod work, the 6SN7 family are giving really good results by all accounts (my own magic has come from the Siemens C3g (and especially C3GS) tubes - but require making your own adapters, covered by myself a while back, and now by CollectoR13). IF you are seriously interested, I suggest you look back over recent posts by gibosi et al for help re the 6SN7...a bit of a marathon, yes, but VERY interesting/informative.
Whatever your choice, welcome to the land of magical transformation of a humble collection of units that can punch WELL above their weight!..(given a bit of investment in time and effort - most of which has already been done by a group of wonderfully creative and very helpful guys. And without the need to spend too much money...).

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #5,412 of 13,432
So, the adapter is half done, its usable but not pretty, have to tidy up the wires and such...
wink.gif

I got the siemens C3g-s as driver and sylvania 6sn7gt (bad boys???) as power tube and i have to say that the effort is more than worth it.
This combinatiom really sings in my setup!
(Btw i wired everything with silver plated solid core copper...)
So i can encourage every ld owner to try these great tubes and build (or buy?) adapters!

WELL DONE CR13!...so glad you've got there without any mishaps. I can assure you that you have only just begun to hear what the C3GSs are capable of...can't wait to get your feedback a bit further down the road (especially as there's a lot of "stuff" needs burning in). Glad to hear also that the 6SN7s as power tubes are performing well - you really are trailblazing!

A shame you didn't use pure (or sterling) silver wire, but that's just my pet love (probably makes not a lot of difference, actually!! But then again...)

Cheers!

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #5,413 of 13,432
So, the adapter is half done, its usable but not pretty, have to tidy up the wires and such...
wink.gif

Sylvania 6sn7gt bad boys:  Tall bottles, bottom getter and 3-hole black T-plates manufactured from about 1950 to 1953. Those with 2-hole plates or top getter are not considered to be true "Badboys" and sound different, but eBay vendors often label them such....  

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #5,414 of 13,432
Thanks hypnos, very kind words.
I look forward to some tube burn in, experienced it often enough to believe in it.
Oh, and as you can read in my profile, I use to have kind of a budget setup, so I thought silver plated copper was resonable enough...
I am only 17 years old, close to do my exams and have only a tight budget...
All the gear I have I bought after saving cash month after month and I got several things for much, much lower price than new.
Hope that explains my choice :wink:

And gibosi, I have to clarify, I think I was wrong.
They are not bad boys, but rather these tubes in the link http://www.tubemaze.info/sylvania-6sn7gt-black-flat-plates/
But anyways, they sound brilliant!

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #5,415 of 13,432

Quote:

Thank you sir for responding for me... between traveling and working nights I've been pretty scarce around here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back