Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jan 19, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #4,711 of 13,434
Where can I buy them? That way I know I won't blow up my amp cause I screwed up. And which is the best one to buy...I like a tight controlled bottom end and imaging.

Steve.

I was lucky and bought an 12AX7 adapter from MIKELAP, which was excellent craftsmanship. It also works with 6SL7 octal tubes with a seperate adapter. I´ve been listening the second day in row to a russian octal(6H9C) and am very pleased with it.It has some nice presentation of instruments, but bass is not that strong.
You might have some luck and there is another spare adapter offered on this thread.But i have the impression they are also very fast sold, so check the thread regularly.

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #4,712 of 13,434
  Hi Mordy,

I believe that is a Sagaris....Never made it into mass production. They only made a handful.
Then TVR went bankrupt. No, I had a 1973 TVR 2500M that I restored.
Had it for over 20 years.  How/Where do I get an adapter to use those other tubes?
I have read on the forum that some guys made their own.
Where can I buy them? That way I know I won't blow up my amp cause I screwed up.
And which is the best one to buy...I like a tight controlled bottom end and imaging.

Steve.

if you ask nice someone might make you one! I'd have to get my process down better BEFORE I was comfortable making a worthy adapter... though I'm not too far off... my only issue is building the rig into an acceptable enclosure.

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #4,714 of 13,434
Hello All,

I have lurked on here for ages and joined last year.
Have had many headphones in addition to some very high end gear since my teens.
I am now in a condo and still have a very nice main system, but I find most of my critical listening is now done with headphones.
I am using a Windows 7 system and play only flac files through a Schiit Gungnir feeding into a Little Dot MkIII ver. IV board.
Pure silver litz wire interconnect between DAC and Amp. and then in to HD-650's with Mobius 2 cable.
I have read  almost every page of this forum and have acquired many different paris of EF95 tubes. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.
Many thanks to [COLOR=FF4400]Dept_of_Alchemy[/COLOR] for his original guide. He got me started. I am currently using Sovtek 6H30EB Power Tubes
and have tried almost all of the EF95 tubes that he has listed. My favorites were Mullard 8100's and Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV's.
I recently got a pair of Tesla 6F32's put together in 1956 and I must say that they blow away the former. A box of 10 for $40. (Nice Find)
They have more extended,articulate bass, smoother,lusher mids and extended top end with No Sibilance.
They also seem to give better spatial cues, sound stage and height. Anyone else with the same thoughts?
What else can I do the further tweek this system? I can tweek a Big system in many subtle ways but need help with this stuff.
I have no intentions of changing anything, the sound is SO GOOD that I am at that point I was with my big system.
Huge money in for very small gains, I studied power cords and then bought a custom made cord from a guy in the States.
Put a 3 foot cord on the Little Dot only and Huge difference! Just thought I would throw this out to you guys and see what comes back?
Can we get the First page of this Forum brought up to date by Dept. of Alchemy? Is he still around and active? 
Can we fill in the "Red" areas?
Waiting for some feedback.

Steve.

I would suggest you get yourself the yugo 6HM5, I have tried most the non mod required tubes and it by far outpaces the others you have mentioned. And when you are ready to blow away everything move to an adapter and get into the 6dj8 realm which is another world altogether. Yrmv

Gary

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #4,715 of 13,434
I would suggest you get yourself the yugo 6HM5, I have tried most the non mod required tubes and it by far outpaces the others you have mentioned. And when you are ready to blow away everything move to an adapter and get into the 6dj8 realm which is another world altogether. Yrmv

Gary

The Sylvania 6HM5 is another option... sounds very similar but a touch cleaner with slightly leaner bass.

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #4,716 of 13,434

Gary

I've seen a few Yugo 6HM5's back in the day...
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #4,717 of 13,434
^
Such win
Much YUGO
wOw!

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #4,718 of 13,434

I've seen a few Yugo 6HM5's back in the day...
biggrin.gif

Thats all there was a few and i might add FEW . Buy the way rockin to some Stevie Ray Vaugh with a Tung- Sol 6SL7 GT with Senns its  true bass is not  plentiful but its nothing an EQ cant fix !

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #4,719 of 13,434
My present car is nicknamed The Toaster, but this Yugo beat me to the punch!

yugo-toast.jpg

A Yugo piano:
yugo-next_01_LI13p_17621.jpg

And a Yugo fireplace:
fireplace.jpg

Walt Disney stardom:
i443184.jpg

And for u enthusiasts out there, a Yugo Bimmer:
yugo1.jpg

Man, a Yugo limousine:
car-funny-joke-limo-limousine-Yugo.jpg

And a 4x4 Yugo:
yugo_monster.jpg

And a Yugo Monster Truck:
yugo-monster.jpg

Good night!

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #4,720 of 13,434
Hi All,

Read somewhere that the best 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes had the Amperex label. However, it could be that they were made by GE and labeled Amperex. Could not find any Amperex tubes, but I bought a couple GE tubes. While testing a GE tube with thick copper roads I fell asleep and had this crazy dream of funny looking Yugo cars. Tube rolling does strange things to you...

I designed a very sophisticated mounting for the voltage regulator on the side of the transformer on the back of the LD MKIII. The bread board was mounted with two screws to a scrap piece of wood and then secured to the transformer housing with two rubber bands. The wood serves as insulation and the rubber bands dampen the vibrations from the transformer. A ground wire was attached to the bottom left screw on the back of the amp and eliminated a high pitched buzz at unlistenable loud sound levels.. (Red wire bottom right on picture)

The net effect is that the brightly lit display exudes a scientific aura to the auditory testing. I am now doing instrumented testing. My multitester indicates a heater voltage of 6.30V (the display is a little humble). Plate voltage for the GE 6CQ7 is R 96V and L 95V. Grid voltage is R 2.74V and L 2.79V. Please note that the little brass voltage adjustment screw on top of the blue thingamajig is completely horizontal which facilitates the electron flow. These measured parameters measured well but are subject to interpretation.

Initial listening tests of the GE tube vs the Raytheon are inconclusive but worse. Oops, I fell asleep again and dreamed of a Yugo fireplace. Crazy, isn't it? See u tomorrow!

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #4,721 of 13,434

rosgr63, welcome to Little Dot land. :)

By way of introduction, rosgr63 is the host of the "6SN7 Tube Addicts" forum, a real treasure-trove of information.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/479031/6sn7-tube-addicts

Thanks for your kind words.
I have been a LD owner and LD forum participant for a number of years.
The work done here is unique and very exiting, I have posted here too some time ago.

To my knowledge, pre-made adapters to allow the use of double triodes in an LD do not exist. Unfortunately, at this time, it is a DIY project. It isn't all that difficult or expensive, but it does require that you invest the necessary time to understand what you are doing. The best I can do is to recommend that you read over the last 100 pages, or so. And after that, if you decide to jump in, we are here to help.

Cheers

That's right.
What I meant is that if somebody already uses the mod to run 6SN7's  and the LD has an octal base 6SN7 adapter, they can use more adapters to try 2C51/6CG7/ECC40/6F8G/ECC42/6C8G and so on. 
If you can get your heater current to 1A, the options will include the Mullard ECC32/ECC34 tubes.
These tubes are very expnsive but sometimes one can get lucky and get them cheap.

If you can get your heater voltage up to 12V at 600mA you can use the 12SN7 tubes which sound like the 6SN7's but cost a lot less.

if you ask nice someone might make you one! I'd have to get my process down better BEFORE I was comfortable making a worthy adapter... though I'm not too far off... my only issue is building the rig into an acceptable enclosure.

Indeed

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #4,722 of 13,434
  Hi All,

Read somewhere that the best 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes had the Amperex label. However, it could be that they were made by GE and labeled Amperex. Could not find any Amperex tubes, but I bought a couple GE tubes. While testing a GE tube with thick copper roads I fell asleep and had this crazy dream of funny looking Yugo cars. Tube rolling does strange things to you...

I designed a very sophisticated mounting for the voltage regulator on the side of the transformer on the back of the LD MKIII. The bread board was mounted with two screws to a scrap piece of wood and then secured to the transformer housing with two rubber bands. The wood serves as insulation and the rubber bands dampen the vibrations from the transformer. A ground wire was attached to the bottom left screw on the back of the amp and eliminated a high pitched buzz at unlistenable loud sound levels.. (Red wire bottom right on picture)

The net effect is that the brightly lit display exudes a scientific aura to the auditory testing. I am now doing instrumented testing. My multitester indicates a heater voltage of 6.30V (the display is a little humble). Plate voltage for the GE 6CQ7 is R 96V and L 95V. Grid voltage is R 2.74V and L 2.79V. Please note that the little brass voltage adjustment screw on top of the blue thingamajig is completely horizontal which facilitates the electron flow. These measured parameters measured well but are subject to interpretation.

Initial listening tests of the GE tube vs the Raytheon are inconclusive but worse. Oops, I fell asleep again and dreamed of a Yugo fireplace. Crazy, isn't it? See u tomorrow!

Nice set up.
If you can try RCA and Tung-Sol black plates 6CG7, FIVRE too.

I usually dream tubes and amps, a Yugo would be a nice change........... 

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #4,723 of 13,434
A quick face-off: 6DJ8 VS 6SN7GT

This evening I did a quick comparison of a 1960 Heerlen-made Amperex 7308/E188CC to a 1948 US-made Tung-Sol 6SN7GT/VT-231 with black glass and round black plates. I was surprised to discover that the tonality of these is actually quite similar. However, I did notice some significant differences. First, the bass on the TS is stronger, with more impact and better detail. Second, the stage on the TS is more 3-D, with more depth and apparent layering. The Amperex, which I previously thought had a very good 3-D stage, seems rather flat in comparison. And finally, the TS is dead quiet. In general, a 6DJ8 in my setup, with wires flying left and right, is much more susceptible to stray RF. I usually have to move the amp around on my desk to find a "quiet place". I have never had to do this with any 6SN7. They are all dead quiet, always.

I am not a detail freak, so perhaps take this with a grain of salt, but I do not notice any difference between these tubes. Rather than tiny sounds, what I listen for is the ability to resolve individual instruments and vocals embedded in complex musical passages. In this, both of these tubes excel.

However, in the end, better bass, more 3-D and dead quiet (in my system) gives the TS the edge. Now I am curious how it compares to a 1961 US-made Amperex 6922/E88CC......

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #4,724 of 13,434
The TS 6SN7 BGRP is considered to be one of the best 6SN7's by many.
You might want to try the TS 6SU7GTY next.
It's the 6SL7 equivalent with higher speck matched plates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back