Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Aug 30, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #11,641 of 13,434
@AthenaZephyrian
Well agreed but my Little Dot I+ is in my closet graveyard of old PC's and such now. I could probably repair it with some effort but I like my Little Dot MK II just fine. I have been looking at SMSL Sanskrit 6th (DAC only), I might get that for a DAC solution. Very nice looking Little Dot. I loved my Little Dot I+ to death, and yep the LT1364 really were a nice mix with 5654W JAN. I had the most success when my old soundcard (Auzentech Prelude:Also KIA) had the LT1364 in it too, so.. LT1364x2 + 5654W JAN = very airy and super sweet. Made me cry when I listened to Amazing Grace. I kinda miss it even though my current setup has its own niceness. I can just never replicate any setup I have had in the past. Equalizers just don't do it. My current goal has been pretty much to tame the highs and make the vocals sweet with a soupy texture. If that makes any sense, I just want to listen to hymnals without pain.

@gibosi That looks like a lot of fun.

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #11,644 of 13,434
BTW I have put 5654W Joint Army Navy Sylvania (black plates) into my LT3 and I am very satisfied with them. Frequency response a little bit into V-shape but listening is very airy with punchy bass without any fatiguing feedback . Overall Impression is very positive and high position in my tube-ladder around Mullard 8100, Tesla 6F32 :p. Highly recommend try them.

Sep 7, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #11,646 of 13,434
Sep 7, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #11,648 of 13,434
Thanks Tony
Your welcome, I just purchased 4 Tung-Sol 6v6GT power tubes
2 Gold Lion 6922 (6N1)w/gold grids
1 Jan5670w GE (6N3) for my newly purchased amplifier, the Audioromy 6v6 12wattx2 amplifier with headphone jack. Dave at the tubestore adviced me that the above tubes would be an excellent upgrade to my headphone amp and he was so right. The sound id fantastic.
Tony

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #11,649 of 13,434
Unfortunately I've recently bought a pair of DT770 for work/portable use and am now spoiled for sub bass in a headphone.

My old DT880 250ohm/LD Mk3 home arrangement still sounds fantastic with a very pleasant low end, but I'm wondering if there's a valve that will bring out that <80hz range specifically (understanding it's probably more down to the 880's enclosure design).

I've ordered a pair of Mullard CV4010/M8100 based on opinions here, but not sure if its just going to be more dark, mid-bassy/boomy compared to what I have.

Which is my second question.
Can anyone identify this 5654?
I bought a new set years ago, but these might even be the stock ones.
No other labelling on them other than 5654 USA and the logo that looks like a Z/Sig out of dots (may just be worn).

Cheers.

Sep 10, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #11,651 of 13,434
My old DT880 250ohm/LD Mk3 home arrangement still sounds fantastic with a very pleasant low end, but I'm wondering if there's a valve that will bring out that <80hz range specifically (understanding it's probably more down to the 880's enclosure design).
There isn't a tube out there that will bring out the sub bass in a pair of DT880's, I use them on my LD MKIV with the 6HM5 drivers and it is what it is. When I want more bass I fire up the Ultrasone HFI-780's on the solid state amp or pull out the JVC 77x's for even more thump.

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #11,652 of 13,434
Thanks. Having a good listen last night I really do like how the bass is presented on them with the current 5654 - better than out of a solid state to my ears (and now I can just pull out the DT770s/SS when I want sub).
Sweetening the mids/hi's on the DT770 might be a better goal.

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #11,653 of 13,434
Sep 12, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #11,654 of 13,434
Received the Mullards yesterday but prefer the GE set I had. GE's noticably punchier bass and thicker mids (sweeter treble to my ears too). Mullard, counter to the first page description is brighter and maybe a little more upper mid clarity and openness - nice on acoustic tracks, but the GE's a better rock tube with the 880s IMO - just nails high gain guitars and hefty bass.
I reckon the Mullard M8100 would fit Sennheisers better.

Sep 14, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #11,655 of 13,434
Hello!

I just got a Little Dot Mk III which is my first Tube Amp. I'm stoked to give some tube rolling a try as I already love the amp just straight out of the box. The sound compared to my solid state amp is just so different. Anyhow, I've tried to read as much of this thread as possible but a lot of it is going over my head. So I hope nobody minds that I am going to ask some simple, stupid questions and recommendations. To pair with my Little Dot Mk III I've already purchased the following:

2 x 9pin tube testing saver (I read enough times on here that these are good to have if you are going to be tube rolling)
2 x 7pin tube testing saver

Driver Tubes:
Matched pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV (Still waiting for this)
2 x Matched pair of GE JAN 5654W (It was a better deal to get a set of 4)

Any other recommendations? I am open to suggestions and would like to start with 4 sets to get a baseline going.

Power Tubes:
2 x Matched pairs of 6N6P power tubes (They came with the amp from the seller I purchased it from)

Here is where I get a little more confused on being able to determine what tube's I can use. I've also read conflicting advice on how worth it is to role power tubes? So any recommendations? And what would be needed to use that recommendation? I read through a number of the power amp reviews on this thread but started getting confused at some of the modifications required. I don't mind having to buy tube converter adapters if you can point me in the right direction but I don't feel confident enough at this point to take out my soldering iron and start going nuts.... not yet at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back