Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Oct 23, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #8,041 of 13,432
  Would it really matter if the adapters go let say only halfway in what do you think ?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

No harm in trying. :)
  Would you be suspicious of these tubes the glass inside looks cloudy around the edges they seem to be chrome tops.is that normal suppose to be badboys . What to you guys think would you buy these tubes.?                                                                                                                                                                                                 

These look perfectly fine to me. I have noticed that tubes from the late 1940's and into the early 1950's have this rather dirty and uneven looking getter splash. In the later tubes, the getter splash became much neater, with a very clear and even edge.

What you have there are the classic Sylvania 6SN7GT "Chrome Domes", characterized by a very uneven getter splash that typically covered more than half of the glass. Might fine tubes. :)

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #8,042 of 13,432

No harm in trying. :)

These look perfectly fine to me. I have noticed that tubes from the late 1940's and into the early 1950's have this rather dirty and uneven looking getter splash. In the later tubes, the getter splash became much neater, with a very clear and even edge.

What you have there are the classic Sylvania 6SN7GT "Chrome Domes", characterized by a very uneven getter splash that typically covered more than half of the glass. Might fine tubes. :)

Thanks good to know . just got mysel 4 - 1957Sylvania GTB now checking out aCV593 very nice tube it seems . man that exchange is killing me not living  in the right country .

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #8,044 of 13,432
Hi Mikelap,

Those adapters are not going to in halfway into the the LD MKIII. I tried, but the the rings block the adapters from seating into the pin sockets, and you cannot get good contact. The 9pin extender sockets can be bought for less than $7 for four of them.

Been there, done that, and no, it did not work without the extenders. Unless you take apart the MKIII and open up the chassis and reach in with an Allen wrench to loosen up the set screws for the rings, you will need the extenders. Everything is so crammed in there that I wouldn't even try.

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #8,045 of 13,432
MIKELAP said:
  I am also  waiting for 6SN7 adapters for the LD to use 6SN7 as power tubes not shure they will work i had bought them for another amp  if anybody knows let me know they are 6SN7 TO 6CG7. Thanks

I am using 6SN7's as powers with that adapter on my LD MK IV and I really like them, a lot...

Hoping you will make me a pair of C3g to 6Ak5 adapters, Hint hint hint... :)

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #8,046 of 13,432
My two C3gS tubes from Superdux have printed on the sides Post
                                                                                               Gabl

and somebody wrote a little S on the side of the silver metal part of the socket with a black marker. The top of the metal can has the number 35062 twice.

(August 1962?)

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #8,047 of 13,432
Hi bbm,

My LD MKIII sits on three 1" aluminum cones stuck to the bottom of the amp with bluetack (generic). I use two discarded 12V computer fans, 3" and 4" . These fans can be bought new for $ 4-5.

The footers allow ample air circulation around the amp. The fans are mounted above the amp and are drawing air away from it.

I don't see any reason to use massive heat sinks when there are much simpler solutions.

HI mordy ,
Any pictures of your setup? I'm having a hard time visualizing it.
~BG

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #8,048 of 13,432
I am using 6SN7's as powers with that adapter on my LD MK IV and I really like them, a lot...

Hoping you will make me a pair of C3g to 6Ak5 adapters, Hint hint hint... :)

Waiting for parts to make first pair the problem  will be to make them as short as possible need a one piece body for that with the right dimension for the sockets or else a 2 piece adapter with all the sockets installed  ready to go will be about 13/4¨ tall +the tube maybe a bit less . with one piece adapter it could possibly be as short as 1 inch tall thats the goal may be will need to have them machined will see when i get parts  Heres a ruff 2 piece construction i started   with regular octal socket the loctal socket seems to be thinner  than the octal socket .

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #8,049 of 13,432

Some C3Gs with C3G on the black casing have a very small S drawn by hand at the bottom side of the case, on the non black painted area. Probably they were measured as "exceptional" after the encasing, so marked as "s" at a later stage of production.

Regarding the "Post" print to differentiate between the 2 models, here are some examples of C3G (o S) with Post printing:
http://f.hatena.ne.jp/platycerus/20100618104035
http://www.ab.auone-net.jp/~pal/c3g.JPG

So probably all C3Gs have Post on the side, but having Post on a C3G is not enough to confirm it's a C3Gs :wink:

Well, well...indeed there are little 'S's on the canister - I stand corrected! In my eagerness to free the (not-so-) little beauties from their (protective and potentially grounded) prison, I completely missed 'em...well spotted v2v...

That they were individually handwritten denotes a very admirable dedication to quality - in my book, anyway..
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #8,051 of 13,432
  Yesterday got some 6N6P tubes and got a little suprise inside those 4 boxes. Here is the pic.

One of four tubes is missing chrome top. Is it safe to use that tube?

That is very interesting to see this much variation among these tubes. It is not uncommon to see tubes with no visible getter splash, but still there is likely a very light coating. And just enough that if the tube had a leak, the top would be white. So my opinion is to it should be fine. :)

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #8,052 of 13,432
Hi BGRoberts,

My LD amp sits with three aluminum cones on a MDF shelf on an equipment rack. The rack itself sits with spikes on a hardwood floor. Each shelf sits on four tabs within a metal frame. Each tab has a round marble between the tab and the shelf. All this is supposed to eliminate unwanted vibrations. Don't know what works best individually or in combination, but I do not have any problems with microphonics. What my set up is lacking in looks is made up by practicality.

Here is the equipment rack with various contents. The blue, yellow and white plastic ties hold the two fans in place. On the top left is a temperature probe whose tip touches the transformer housing. On the shelf underneath is the Little Dot MKIII standing on three footers. On the transformer housing an 15A voltage regulator is attached with two rubber bands. The two white pieces behind it are wooden chopsticks to make a space between the voltage regulator mounting plate and the transformer housing to allow for better air circulation and cooling.
To the left of the amp on the shelf is a mounting board for two voltage regulators that supply power to one of the fans and the driver tube, seen on the bottom suspended by wires to the two Vector adapters (less hum).

Here the shelf is lifted up to show the arrangement with a marble to cancel out vibrations.

Here are the 80's aluminum cones attached with generic bluetack to the bottom of the LD amp.

This is the 12V 4" fan mounted above the amp.

Here is a close up of the temperature probe. Actual temperature of the transformer housing today with the amp in operation is 78F. Room temperature is 67F. On a hot day with a room temperature of around 76F with A/C on the temperature may go up to 89F.

Here is the second fan, also mounted above the amp. It is a 12V 3" computer fan from a busted power supply. It was chosen because it is quiet. Rather than blowing air on the amp, both fans draw the hot air away from the amp. Under the fan are seen two 6080WA Sylvania 2.5A power tubes. How do these octal tubes fit into the 9pin sockets on the LD?

Since the octal to 9pin adapters are too wide to fit inside the decorative rings on the LD MKIII, a 9pin socket extender is needed. The little red strip marks the orientation of the adapter for easy insertion. The octal adapter goes into the extender, and the tube - you guessed it - goes into the octal adapter.
Since the 6080 tubes use much more current than the amp can provide, an external 15A voltage regulator is connected to the heaters of the tubes. On the left of the extender you can see a wire coming out. A hole was drilled in the bakelite of the extender. The heater pins were desoldered and removed (the extender comes apart easily with one screw) and the wires soldered onto the pin tabs inside the extender. If you use 6SN7/6SL7 octal tubes as power tubes no external power supply is necessary.
The 15A voltage regulator is powered by a 430W computer power supply. I found that that a beefier power supply resulted in better sound.

This is the15A voltage regulator. The smaller voltage regulators can be bought with voltage readouts, but for some reason these come without - you will need a simple voltage meter to set the voltage to 6.3V using a little set screw on the voltage regulator. For some reason the voltage reading taken at the tube pins always is lower than at the voltage regulator itself, but may differ a little between different tubes. Usually, with the 6080s, I have to set the voltage to around 7V to get 6.3V at the tube itself. The large heat sinks never get warm in use.

What else is there to describe? The fans run on 12V, and I used whatever I had on hand. One is powered by a 12V wall wart from an old portable phone, the other shares the 12V PC power supply with the heaters for the power tubes. The 12V driver tube uses an old laptop 19.8V power supply via a voltage regulator.

This set up is very flexible, and I can use all kinds of driver/power tubes that use different voltages - 6V, 7V, 8V, 12V - no problem.

It's been a long journey, littered with tubes relegated to the dust pile, but very rewarding.....

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #8,053 of 13,432
Hi d4rkch1ld,

The purpose of the getter flash is only one - to get rid of any oxygen left in the tube to create a hard vacuum. The size and color of the getter flash does not matter, and different manufacturing methods result in different amounts of getter flash or color; or no flash at all (cleartop tubes). {Side getter or bottom getter tubes have the flash on the side or the bottom, but although they have clear tops, I am not referring to them as cleartop tubes.}

If the vacuum is lost, the getter usually turns white, and the tube is finished.

If your tube works I would not worry.

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #8,054 of 13,432

Way too much crazy action going on there... I'll stick with the basics as it has a better WAF.

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #8,055 of 13,432
  Yesterday got some 6N6P tubes and got a little suprise inside those 4 boxes. Here is the pic.

One of four tubes is missing chrome top. Is it safe to use that tube?

It may indicate a leak in the glass. Its what happened to one of my 6AV6 when i clipped the pin and it cracked the glass.

Not saying its definitely the issue, but a possibility. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back