Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jan 9, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #4,624 of 13,438
Just received 4 Reflektor made  6H9C octals and so far they are  no slouch compared to the more pricey Tung sol or Sylvanias  and all of that for $9.00 +shipping good deal i would say .                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #4,625 of 13,438
  Just received 4 Reflektor made  6H9C octals and so far they are  no slouch compared to the more pricey Tung sol or Sylvanias  and all of that for $9.00 +shipping good deal i would say .                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Nice!
I have the same tubes and they do indeed sound very good!
beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #4,626 of 13,438
Hi,

I too, have two 6H9C octals, but found the early Sylvanias and Tung Sols better. Mine is from 1981 + unknown; had asked for 1960's tube.

Here is a beautiful picture of a vacuum tube (long exposure) from Finland:

EL84-blueglow.jpg

The blue light (in the little squares) is called the Geissler effect. Not much is known about it, but it does not harm the tube.

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #4,627 of 13,438
  I can use 6SN7 to 6AS7 as powertubes and 6SL7 and 6SN7 as drivers. ECC32 should work too as driver, but they are far too expensive. Power consumption of amp is around 88w with 6080's and 6SN7's. So now i can use my precious 6SU7GTY's. With -73 6N13S's i received four -65 6N8S with square getter. So far they sound very good. I think this model should be the best of non-metal base 6N8S's. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251379277920

Are you using the 1965 6N8S as a driver tube?

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #4,629 of 13,438
6SN7 update:

After spending tons of time researching 6SN7 tubes, it appeared that the Tung-Sol White Label 6SN7GT (1940-50s vintage) and the CBS/Hytron White Label 6SN7GT were the best of the middle tier tubes and were also very affordable, and based on my experience with these tubes, I would agree. Both have the virtue of doing nothing wrong. Both have a balanced FR from top to bottom, as well as a spacious 3-d stage with very good clarity and transparency. 

The CBS/Hytron is very smooth and airy, but a bit soft. The bass is adequate, but doesn't have the punch or detail of better tubes. Even so, it is a very good sounding tube. It is my understanding that the most desirable CBS/Hytrons have white labels, as the red labels are said to be rebadged GE.

$_57.JPG

The 1940 through 1950s white label Tung-Sol with gray plates has the nickname, "Mouse Ears" due to the round mica spaces attached to the top mica. Over the years, the round ears were replaced by rectangular ears, and in later tubes, the ears were eliminated. From reports I have read, the shape of the ears, or lack thereof, has no effect on the sound, and they all sound the same. I found this tube to have better bass than the Hytron, with better detail. In my opinion the Tung Sol is the better tube.

Round "Mouse Ears"

No "Mouse Ears"

$_57.JPG

Therefore, the Tung Sol is the tube I recommend to those of you who are just now getting up to speed with the 6SN7. Like the Orange Globe, it serves as a credible benchmark. It is the tube to beat. It is good enough, that many feel no need to get something better. And at any rate, it is excellent introduction to the 6SN7.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #4,630 of 13,438

Are you using the 1965 6N8S as a driver tube?

Nearly all time i have been listening with this amp i have used pair of 6N8S '65 as drivers. Also listened some time with sylvania 6SN7GTA's. Those are pretty good too.

Thanks! I think I will get one. However, I have two more 6SN7s on their way to me, another Tung Sol and my first Sylvania, plus I have two E80CC on their way, so will likely hold off a bit. :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #4,631 of 13,438
  6SN7 update:

Therefore, the Tung Sol is the tube I recommend to those of you who are just now getting up to speed with the 6SN7. Like the Orange Globe, it serves as a credible benchmark. It is the tube to beat. It is good enough, that many feel no need to get something better. And at any rate, it is excellent introduction to the 6SN7.

Sorry for asking, as I thought it was probably mentioned some pages ago: do the 6SN7 (as driver tubes) need a separate power supply for the heaters (6.3V) ?
And what about the heathers power supply for the 6H9C ?
Thanks

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #4,632 of 13,438

Sorry for asking, as I thought it was probably mentioned some pages ago: do the 6SN7 (as driver tubes) need a separate power supply for the heaters (6.3V) ?
And what about the heathers power supply for the 6H9C ?
Thanks

Yes, the 6SN7 heaters draw 6.3 volts / 600ma, so an external power supply is recommended.  The Russian equivalent to the 6SN7 is the 6N8S, whereas, the 6H9C is the Russian equivalent to the 6SL7. These tubes draw 6.3 volts / 300ma, and therefore, the LD can handle them fine. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #4,633 of 13,438
Hi Gibosi,

"Therefore, the Tung Sol is the tube I recommend to those of you who are just now getting up to speed with the 6SN7. Like the Orange Globe, it serves as a credible benchmark. It is the tube to beat. It is good enough, that many feel no need to get something better. And at any rate, it is excellent introduction to the 6SN7."

Funny, this is how I feel about the Sylvania (Crosley) 6SL7 tube that I have. I still have not tried the 6SN7 tubes I have waiting (TS, Raytheon, Sylvania), because the voltage regulator did not yet arrive, so I cannot compare them yet.

What are your thoughts about the difference between your favorite 6SN7 and the 6SL7 tubes you tried?

Also, what are your thoughts on the differences between the 6SN7 and 6CG7/6CQ7 tubes, since they are supposed to be a successor to the 6SN7 tube?

My questions pertain to using these tubes as driver tubes.

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #4,634 of 13,438
  What are your thoughts about the difference between your favorite 6SN7 and the 6SL7 tubes you tried?

Also, what are your thoughts on the differences between the 6SN7 and 6CG7/6CQ7 tubes, since they are supposed to be a successor to the 6SN7 tube?

My questions pertain to using these tubes as driver tubes.

I have the same questions for myself! lol But unfortunately, I simply have way too many tubes on hand (and more coming) and it will take me a while to sort through them all. My thinking was that since the 6SN7 universe can seem vast and confusing, I thought it might be helpful to initially focus in on a couple of entry-level tubes to help people get started once they have their external PS up and running.

Next I want to get a better handle on how my other 6SN7 compare to each other and to my reference TS "mouse ears". And for sure, eventually, I hope to be able to get a better handle on the various 6CG7 and 6SL7 I have on hand..... all in good time.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back