Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Oct 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #3,361 of 13,448

The Mk iii and iv are not really suitable for low impedance cans (see their output specifications on the Little Dot site) as they put out less power as the impedance load decreases.  Plus those amps have a high output impedance which does not play nice with low impedance cans (poor damping).  The I+ is much more suitable for low impedance headphones.

Thank you, do you also happen to know tubes that have amazing mids? As I stated before I want the tubes to be better than what the original guide has to offer. But I would like the tubes to be mod-less to easy to mod.

Thank you.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #3,362 of 13,448

Thank you, do you also happen to know tubes that have amazing mids? As I stated before I want the tubes to be better than what the original guide has to offer. But I would like the tubes to be mod-less to easy to mod.

Thank you.

It's hard to beat those 6DT6As (either GE or RCA, I have both) for WOW factor, but heptodes are nice too (6BE6 and related tubes... see page 77 of this thread for a handy chart).  My own view is that the frequency range of the heptodes is a little more balanced than the 6DT6As (which extend both the treble and bass in my experience), so you might find the heptode mids a bit more pleasing (if less exciting out of the box).

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #3,363 of 13,448

It's hard to beat those 6DT6As (either GE or RCA, I have both) for WOW factor, but heptodes are nice too (6BE6 and related tubes... see page 77 of this thread for a handy chart).  My own view is that the frequency range of the heptodes is a little more balanced than the 6DT6As (which extend both the treble and bass in my experience), so you might find the heptode mids a bit more pleasing (if less exciting out of the box).

I'd look at the EH90 (Mullard/Valvo/Ediswan/ect.) for some sweet mids... I personally love these tubes! The 6DT6 family would be something else to check out (currently my favorite) as well as the 6AV6 (evaluating right now and liking a lot so far)

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #3,364 of 13,448
Hey guys, I've had the LD1+ for about 3-4 months now and I have a pair of 6AK5W tubes which cam with it as an upgrade and I also purchased a pair of Voskhod 6J1P-EV tubes which I've listened to for most of the time I've had the amp. I was going to (and still may) purchase the MAD ear+HD but I was reading a thread today where they compared the LD1+, Asgard and the Ear+HD and found that people were changing their op-amps and trying all different types of tubes, so I thought since I have the LD why not try this before jumping into the Ear+HD. I read that a lot of people really like the Burr Brown OPA2107 by Texas Instruments so I ordered one tonight and it will be here soon. I like the way the LD sounds now, but I recently purchased the RS1i's and would like hear some different sound choices with them. I really like crystal clear clarity, crisp highs and detail. Can anyone please give me some advice on some tubes I can purchase for this sound,  and that also match well with the RS1i's and the OPA2107, this way I can order them so they will arrive about the same time. I think I should do some experimenting with the LD being that there seems to be so many options for this great little amp, but I really don't where to start, so I figured I'd try a different op-amp to start with.
BTW I probably didn't even let the 6AK5W's burn-in before changing them to the Voshods. I would have to say that I have close to100hrs on these tubes by now and the amp does sound nice to me, but like I said, I want to step it up a bit and possibly hear its full potential especially with the RS1i's.Thank you.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #3,365 of 13,448
  ....... I read that a lot of people really like the Burr Brown OPA2107 by Texas Instruments so I ordered one tonight and it will be here soon. I like the way the LD sounds now, but I recently purchased the RS1i's and would like hear some different sound choices with them. I really like crystal clear clarity, crisp highs and detail. Can anyone please give me some advice on some tubes I can purchase for this sound,  and that also match well with the RS1i's and the OPA2107, this way I can order them so they will arrive about the same time. I think I should do some experimenting with the LD being that there seems to be so many options for this great little amp, but I really don't where to start, so I figured I'd try a different op-amp to start with.

I would also recommend that you try the LME49990 and/or OPA627AP. To my ears, these are both superior to the OPA2107.

And these tubes just might do the trick:

- GE (Made in Gt Britain by Mullard) or Ei (Made in Yugoslavia) 6HM5 (also listed as 6HA5 and EC900). Set your LD for EF95 tubes. Avoid the small squat tubes that look like 6AK5. Look for the taller tubes.

Example listings to show what these tubes look like:

GE / Mullard 6HM5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GE-6HM5-6HA5-BLACKBURN-MULLARD-MADE-VACUUM-TUBE-TESTED-AUDIO-RADIO-/270927668081?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f148c2371

Ei 6HM5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6HM5-6HA5-EC900-export-quality-audio-triode-tube-NOS-FREE-SHIPPING-/300879467071?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item460dd0523f

Happy tube rolling!

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #3,366 of 13,448

I would also recommend that you try the LME49990 and/or OPA627AP. To my ears, these are both superior to the OPA2107.

- GE (Made in Gt Britain by Mullard) or Ei (Made in Yugoslavia) 6HM5 (also listed as 6HA5 and EC900). Set your LD for EF95 tubes. Avoid the small squat tubes that look like 6AK5. Look for the taller tubes.

GE / Mullard 6HM5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GE-6HM5-6HA5-BLACKBURN-MULLARD-MADE-VACUUM-TUBE-TESTED-AUDIO-RADIO-/270927668081?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f148c2371

Ei 6HM5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6HM5-6HA5-EC900-export-quality-audio-triode-tube-NOS-FREE-SHIPPING-/300879467071?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item460dd0523f

Happy tube rolling!

I also endorse this advice!

If you like your 2107 and would like better separation and more refinement I's scoop up the OPA627AP. Though the LME 49990 is amazing also!

Tube wise I'd concur BUT I'd also add the Sylvania (more neutral and dynamic) and RCA (warmer) 6DT6A and the GE 6AV6 (make sure it has the box on top of the mica (it makes a big difference and I can provide pics if you need to see what I mean)  All of these are very detailed and will give a very large sound stage (especially the 6AV6)

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #3,367 of 13,448

If you like your 2107 and would like better separation and more refinement I's scoop up the OPA627AP. Though the LME 49990 is amazing also!

Tube wise I'd concur BUT I'd also add the Sylvania (more neutral and dynamic) and RCA (warmer) 6DT6A and the GE 6AV6 (make sure it has the box on top of the mica (it makes a big difference and I can provide pics if you need to see what I mean)  All of these are very detailed and will give a very large sound stage (especially the 6AV6)

Please provide pics!

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #3,368 of 13,448

GE / Mullard 6HM5

Ei 6HM5

Happy tube rolling!

Thank you for your reply and for giving me some advice on the different op-amps and some different tube to try. I'm going to order these op-amps and tubes today. Thanks again!

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #3,370 of 13,448

A pair of GE 6AV6. Notice the box-like structure on top of the mica. These are the ones you want to look for.

I also notice on my SYLVANIA 6BJ6 tubes that little box atop the mica.

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #3,371 of 13,448
Here are my Sylvania side getter clear top  box getter tubes. Later models do not have the box and the the dish on top, but instead have a regular top getter and top getter flash.
I asked my retired engineer friend why earlier models have the box and the dish, and he thought that these serve for heat dissipation.
Seems that the best sounding 6AV6 tubes have the box construction.

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #3,372 of 13,448

No more playing with strap-wires or dipping jumpers! This little fix makes tube rolling so much easier. \o/ This was possibly only place to put switches in MK II.

Thanks Trolldragon for easy wiring-diagram. 1. switch EF95-EF92 and 2. switch 2/7-off-1/7.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #3,373 of 13,448

No more playing with strap-wires or dipping jumpers! This little fix makes tube rolling so much easier. \o/ This was possibly only place to put switches in MK II.

Thanks Trolldragon for easy wiring-diagram. 1. switch EF95-EF92 and 2. switch 2/7-off-1/7.

You are most welcome, enjoy the Ease of Switching! 
biggrin.gif

The two switches look very nice up front and there is no room in the back at all from pictures I've seen. Also the bottom comes off your LD which would have made the install so much easier.
Nice Job Artsi!
beerchug.gif

I used 2 SPST and 2 SPDT (Center Off)  switches in case I might want to try each side with different tubes. The chance of that happening is probably slim but the option is there if I want it.
Drawing DPDT and DPST's would have made the wiring diagram more confusing for some who wanted to try it.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #3,374 of 13,448
Received some Sylvania 6HA5 US made tubes today. They are burning in now. The GE6AV6's seem to have settled I'm going to give them another 10hours of use before I write impressions to be sure. Probably some time this week I'll write these up and compare them with the 6DT6 family.

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #3,375 of 13,448
  I'd look at the EH90 (Mullard/Valvo/Ediswan/ect.) for some sweet mids... I personally love these tubes! The 6DT6 family would be something else to check out (currently my favorite) as well as the 6AV6 (evaluating right now and liking a lot so far)

The Raytheon 6BE6W I have are not as exciting / hard sounding, more gentle and "english" but one of their traits is that they are very holographic and large staged, which is not surpassed by the Valvos. In some ways they sound high end, in some systems they may not have the right environment to show it. They may only sound "boring / dark" in a non-matching system. This is why they match well with 6H30P tubes, which are reasonably bright and it opens them up in terms of stage. The refined treble warrants fatigue free listening and the bass is of good quality and quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back