Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Oct 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #3,316 of 13,448
  I have a general question, what is the most detailed and dynamic tubes out there for the Little Dot 1+?
Tubes that blow the ones mentioned in the original guide out of the water.

I would like mod-less, to easy to mod tubes if possible.

Any ideas?

I will suggest a couple, and I am sure others have more to add.

6AV6 (and 6AT6 and 6AQ6) These are easy to mod, just cut off pins 5 and 6 and use the EF92 setting. The best tubes are those with a box-like structure (a box getter) on top of the mica:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/3285#post_9859647

6HM5 / 6HA5 / EC90

No mods required. Use the EF95 setting. You want to avoid the short squat tubes that look like the typical 6AK5, 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/3300#post_9862250

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/3045#post_9828452

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #3,317 of 13,448
  6HM5 / 6HA5 / EC90

I'm sure you meant to write EC900. 
smile.gif

EC90 = 6C4. A somewhat different tube.

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #3,318 of 13,448

I will suggest a couple, and I am sure others have more to add.

6AV6 (and 6AT6 and 6AQ6) These are easy to mod, just cut off pins 5 and 6 and use the EF92 setting. The best tubes are those with a box-like structure (a box getter) on top of the mica:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/3285#post_9859647

6HM5 / 6HA5 / EC90

No mods required. Use the EF95 setting. You want to avoid the short squat tubes that look like the typical 6AK5, 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/3300#post_9862250

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/3045#post_9828452

How does one switch to the EF92 or EF95 setting.
Do you have to tinker with the internals a bit?

I've asked this before from a fellow head-fier, but are there any good vendors you'd recommend as well from ebay.

Thanks a bunch for the information too.

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #3,320 of 13,448

How does one switch to the EF92 or EF95 setting.
Do you have to tinker with the internals a bit?

I've asked this before from a fellow head-fier, but are there any good vendors you'd recommend as well from ebay.

Thanks a bunch for the information too.

Easiest and cheapest way if your on EF95 setting and you want EF92 you strap or join with a small wire pin hole 6 and 7 or 5-7 on your LD MK3 dont know if it works with other LD and there is also socket adaptors your amp has to be on EF92 setting you plug in the socket adaptor in the LD thats all that's $38.00 and comes from China or if you solder you could make your own .http://www.ebay.com/itm/300961753333?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649  

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #3,321 of 13,448

Easiest and cheapest way if your on EF95 setting and you want EF92 you strap or join with a small wire pin hole 6 and 7on your LD MK3 dont know if it works with other LD and there is also socket adaptors your amp has to be on EF92 setting you plug in the socket adaptor in the LD thats all that's $38.00 and comes from China or if you solder you could make your own .http://www.ebay.com/itm/300961753333?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649  

I ordered the Little Dot 1+ 
frown.gif
, maybe it's the same process, perhaps someone else can give us a heads up on the info.....

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #3,322 of 13,448

I ordered the Little Dot 1+ 
frown.gif
, maybe it's the same process, perhaps someone else can give us a heads up on the info.....

If you look on page 77 it list compatible amp with the tube we are using the LD1+ is there you could try it anyways i made mistake regarding jumpers and amp is still ok so i guess if you can use these tubes you can do the wire mod to your amp or what i just receive are longer jumpers way easier to change now heres a picture

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #3,323 of 13,448
Can you guys make me a video on how to change the EF settings, instructional photos, or at least a drawing slide show of some sort?

I am not tech savy what so ever.

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #3,324 of 13,448
i marked the jumper location in red for you if you magnify picture you will see better

you see the red rectangle right of the volume right below its marked EF92 AND THERES 2 PINS thats your EF92 jumper the other one IS NEXT TO THE RED SQUARE and the bottom to the left there to its marked EF92 THOSE ARE THE LEFT AND RIGHT CHANNEL JUMPERS. for the other jumpers i see 2 other jumpers but its marked J3 so those must be your EF95 JUMPERS i dont see any other unless you see an EF95 inscription somewhere i dont . so those jumpers are right in the middle of the board.to the left of the opamp so i would SAY that according to the picture the amp is set on EF95 setting because jumpers are on the 2 pins get it so in this case to have the EF92 SETTING you remove the jumpers from J3 or EF95 and put them on EF92 JUMPERS . I hope its clear .

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #3,325 of 13,448

you see the red rectangle right of the volume right below its marked EF92 AND THERES 2 PINS thats your EF92 jumper the other one IS NEXT TO THE RED SQUARE and the bottom to the left there to its marked EF92 THOSE ARE THE LEFT AND RIGHT CHANNEL JUMPERS. for the other jumpers i see 2 other jumpers but its marked J3 so those must be your EF95 JUMPERS i dont see any other unless you see an EF95 inscription somewhere i dont . so those jumpers are right in the middle of the board.to the left of the opamp so i would SAY that according to the picture the amp is set on EF95 setting because jumpers are on the 2 pins get it so in this case to have the EF92 SETTING you remove the jumpers from J3 or EF95 and put them on EF92 JUMPERS . I hope its clear .

lol That helped a ton. Now i'll know exactly what to do when my little dot 1+ ships in.

thank you.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #3,328 of 13,448
Well the clear top NEC 6AV6's are working very nicely in the LD despite my pin mishap...

These sound good to me, I don't have the descriptive ear that the rest of you have, if anything they might have a bit too much treble and not quite enough bass for my liking.
It would be good to find a pair of 6AV6's with the box on top to compare with these NEC ones.

These 6AV6's are one of the prettiest tubes when lit up in the amplifier.

beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #3,330 of 13,448
  Well the clear top NEC 6AV6's are working very nicely in the LD despite my pin mishap...

These sound good to me, I don't have the descriptive ear that the rest of you have, if anything they might have a bit too much treble and not quite enough bass for my liking.
It would be good to find a pair of 6AV6's with the box on top to compare with these NEC ones.

These strongly resemble a newer RCA 6AV6 and your description also fits well. In my experience, the RCA 6AV6 is the brightest and most forward of the 6AV6s.

In your search for 6AV6 with box getters, don't forget the 6AT6 and 6AQ6. The main difference is heater current, and in my experience (Sylvania and RCA), they sound the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back