Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Sep 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2,836 of 13,432
This track is amazing with the Mullards mentioned above

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh00MY_qycA

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #2,837 of 13,432

Congrats All! Today our thread

Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide - Page 190

surpassed the original thread in pages, and dare I say, in quality and overall usefulness

Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling - Page 189

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #2,838 of 13,432

surpassed the original thread in pages, and dare I say, in quality and overall usefulness

Thanks guys for bringing your knowledge to this thread whitout you i wouldnt have a dozen pairs of tubes that i didnt have a chance to listen to yet . I LOVE IT . Thanks. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #2,839 of 13,432

Yes indeed!
A serious wealth of information for those of us who are new to this game.
It is very much appreciated. Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2,840 of 13,432
Got my new Raytheon 6AN5 and i like the sound signature  well balance lush sounding nothing sticks out ,wide soundstage and depending on tune depth. i like them Will see if they evolve.This is with Senns HD800.

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #2,841 of 13,432
You guys probably know Gary Clark jr. and his tune BRIGHT LIGHTs pretty good tune if you like guitar youll love this.                             

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #2,842 of 13,432
Hi TrollDragon,

Interesting solution - one size fits all! This got me thinking: I don't have fancy woodworking tools, but how about this:

I'll go to the playground and fill a plastic cup with sand from the sand box (hope the town doesn't mind). After cleaning the sand from dirt and debris (manually?) I'll take a little shot glass and fill it with sand. Then I'll take a thin piece cardboard or thick paper and push the pins through to be used as a shield.

While holding the tube with the pins in the sand up to the shield I would turn the shot glass around for a minute or two. This should work.

What do you think?

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #2,843 of 13,432
  Hi TrollDragon,

Interesting solution - one size fits all! This got me thinking: I don't have fancy woodworking tools, but how about this:

I'll go to the playground and fill a plastic cup with sand from the sand box (hope the town doesn't mind). After cleaning the sand from dirt and debris (manually?) I'll take a little shot glass and fill it with sand. Then I'll take a thin piece cardboard or thick paper and push the pins through to be used as a shield.

While holding the tube with the pins in the sand up to the shield I would turn around the shot glass around for a minute or two. This should work.

What do you think?

Hey mordy!
The shot glass might be a little bit too big and cumbersome to use in my humble opinion...

I am using the top from a plastic food tub cut into a circle and holes poked through as the shield now.
Do not use the tube to poke the holes, press the tube down hard to mark the plastic then with a scratch awl, big darn needle or any other sharp pointed thing poke the holes for the pins.

Here is a cap from a bottle of nose spray that is a good size, but any small cap would do.

Also here is a link to the carbide grit which i believe will cut better than sand, but by all means try the sand first a see how well it works.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Carbide-80-Grit-Tumbling-Media-rock-tumbler-lapidary-supplies-1-pound-/231034625025
(I don't know anything about that seller, he was the first search result that had a small amount available.)

I am glad to see my little adaptation of GG's idea was useful here.
smile.gif

beerchug.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #2,844 of 13,432
It will be 2 weeks till mine arrive. I need a local tube supplier, strike that no I don't

Last night I had a listening session with the new USAF 6AH6 6485 tubes and then my Mullard milspec CV4010 EF95's .
Forgive me if some one already did this in one of the preceding 190 pages already.
Phones are the new Audio Technica ATH-AD900X, source is Schitt Bifrost DAC and Tascam CD player 200.
The USAF 6AH6's have a wider soundstage with more airey detail and are going back in for some more listening hours, the Mullards have a more round sound with more impact and bass.
Also 4010 soundstage is a bit narrower than the 6485's... but still impressive, especially compared to the stock tubes or even JAN 5654's.
The bass on the 6485's is noticeably leaner than bass on the CV4010's...... so, it can't do everything and may be a matter of matching  tube type sound to a particular headphone's characteristics as both are excellent.
I would say at first glance it's almost a tie but the 4685's are intoxicating in their own way.
Has anyone with the 900X's found they're own particular favorite driver tube combination with the LD yet ?

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #2,845 of 13,432
With the ad900x I love the eh90 family... Rockin the ediswans currently.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #2,846 of 13,432
  Got my new Raytheon 6AN5 and i like the sound signature  well balance lush sounding nothing sticks out ,wide soundstage and depending on tune depth. i like them Will see if they evolve.This is with Senns HD800.

Also would like to add great bass more proeminent  more then other tubes i tried recently (6av6,6dt6a,)This is with the HD800 and my go to tune for testing.EDIT: WOULD LIKE TO SAY PREVIOUS COMMENT DOES NOT APPLY TO THESE TUBE MY EQ WAS ON AND MORE BASS WAS ADDED SORRY GUYS.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #2,847 of 13,432
Fantastic Mordy, Thanks for the reminder.

While I am waiting for a pair of 6DT6A, a brief update: My current tube of the month is the Raytheon 6BE6W with yellow label and black barrel as seen here.

This guy may actually have more, it is not his first ad at ebay.

It is just such an amazingly transparent tube, particularly in 1/7 enjoyable, which works actually really well and does not sound thin. Generous stage, focus, bass, treble, balance - all of a high grade. 2/7 is more defined and somewhat more forward, more a matter of taste than better or worse. I am listening to this tube now for a a couple of weeks and I can highly recommend it.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #2,848 of 13,432
I confused between MK III and MK IV, both of them look like the same and i don't know what to choose. Anyone can tell me any differences between them such as sound and tube-rolling(i love this part, it's fun
wink.gif
) ?

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #2,849 of 13,432
I confused between MK III and MK IV, both of them look like the same and i don't know what to choose. Anyone can tell me any differences between them such as sound and tube-rolling(i love this part, it's fun:wink: ) ?
Output power is the main difference as per the Little Dot Specs.

What headphones will you he connecting to the amp? Since they are OTL, they are designed to work very well with a high impedance headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back