Little Dot MKVII+ Available Now!
Mar 17, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #151 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Photons,

How do you modify your 701 to balance? Does the stock cable have 4-wires ? I am not a cable believer, but I believe in balance. I don't want to spend too much to modify the K701, if the stock cable has 4 wires, I can solder a 4 pin XLR plug by myself.

Read this http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/gui...abling-225819/

The text about middle of the set of pictures is what you want if you intend to use the stock cables. Very easy mod. You can even make a balance to SE converter with the left over stock SE plug.

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #152 of 164
You only need the 4 pin xlr balanced plug for the MKVII+

Check these links out for balanced mod :

Wire Color Scheme : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/lit...06/index2.html about half way down the page posted by Joelby.

Male and Female Pinout : Professional audio / entertainment devices 4 pin XLR connector pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

It's very easy and inexpensive. The AKG k701 stock cable has four color coded wires. I got my gold pinned Neutrik xlr from Markertek : Neutrik USA Inc Neutrik NC4FXX-B and NC4MXX-B 4-Pin XLR Cable Connectors with Black Shell and Gold Contacts XLR Connectors at Markertek com

I've started listening in high gain mode with my AKG k701s in balanced mode all of the time now. I originally started out with low gain thinking that would be where I would end up permanently, but after 50 quick listens to various cds, I've decided high gain is where I am going to stay. The lure of seemingly tighter control and grip with the higher gain setting has become too hard to resist.
My change of preference for the high gain setting may have alot to do with "burn in" of my new xlr cables, four new op amps on one of my cd player's audio boards and the MKVII+ itself.
I did another quick listen for noise in high gain mode with no input and the volume level at 100. Absolutely no hiss or noise whatsoever. Black as the ace of spades.
Every listening session with this combo is becoming a revelation. I hear new details that I have never noticed before on every recording and not just in any particular area of bandwidth. Last night I was drawn into listening to just bass lines on a particular song. On another track, it could be the processing of an electric guitar. Yet another, a triangle or a string section. Everything sounds so fast, tight and uncolored. It's hard to find fault with anything. Is the recording revealing it's own limitations and flaws or is the playback equipment?
Maybe I am being overwhelmed by the fact that I made so many changes to my headphone listening equipment at one time. This has been a quantum leap for me!
It is hard to imagine how good it could get with more time.
k701smile.gif

Complaint Dept. : What's with the ultra bright, blue "searchlight" power LED? You could read a book with this thing!
eek.gif
I'm going to have to do something about it.

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #154 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by photons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Complaint Dept. : What's with the ultra bright, blue "searchlight" power LED? You could read a book with this thing!
eek.gif
I'm going to have to do something about it.

I simply cover the LED with a piece of Blu-Tack
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Can anyone tell me why my "profile picture" doesn't appear on my thread?
redface.gif

You haven't not set your "Avatar" ("Edit Avatar" under "Settings and Options"), which is different from your profile picture.

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #155 of 164
Quote:

You only need the 4 pin xlr balanced plug for the MKVII+

Check these links out for balanced mod:..........

Thanks guys. So many great guys here.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #156 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I simply cover the LED with a piece of Blu-Tack
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

I wanted to still be able to see if the amplifier was still on. I used some black opaque tape cut into a circle and poked a tiny hole in the center with a pin. It looks good now.

You haven't not set your "Avatar" ("Edit Avatar" under "Settings and Options"), which is different from your profile picture.

Thanks for your reply. That was a little confusing.

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #159 of 164
Indeed it is. I personally hate using CD players, so I wouldn't get the full stack, but nevertheless it sure looks good, is affordable and I am sure sounds great too! I would have bought the DAC_I and MKVII+ (based on impressions of them) if I wouldn't have found the Matrix Cube DAC for $180 and the M^3 for $230. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #160 of 164
Looking at the outputs, it seems this will be better with low impedance stuff (which has already been pointed out). Would I be correct in assuming this?
^Even my micro tube has a bright blue LED - eye laser is what it is, a bit annoying, but I close my eyes with my cans on
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #161 of 164
Hey Now Photon,

Are your balanced cables "anti-cable"? If not, could you let us know what wire? Thanks much in advance.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #162 of 164
No. They are similar, but my own concoction of twisted 20 gauge magnet wire with Neutrik XLR connectors. It sounds better than commercial radial designs and is dirt cheap by comparison. I use it (magnet wire) for just about everything nowadays. It also has the added advantage of enabling you to custom cut every length of wire you need for interconnect and speaker wire; 18 to 22 gauge for interconnect and 12-16 gauge for speaker wire.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #164 of 164
hi just wanted to ask how does the balanced inputs of the MKVII+ work? I have them connected via an XLR to XLR interconnect to my Matrix mini, and since the Little Dot MKVII+ has a balanced and unbalanced output, I'm able to plug in my unbalanced headphones too. But what I'm not sure about is does plugging in a pair of cans into the unbalanced output makes the whole setup unbalanced? What constitutes a fully balanced setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back