Little Dot MKV11 Balanced Headphone has just arrived - My Initial Impressions
Oct 27, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #16 of 36
Well I just got mine along with the DAC,extremely well built and finished,a pleasure to look at.
After a couple hours of feeding cables here and there and making up a couple short XLR's all was ready for a quick test.
Spdif output is from RME digi PST card into the dac and into amp balanced,and an analogue signal from same card into amp for the trs output.
Testing done with Headphile modified CD3000 with apuresound cable[balanced],just had to solder a 4 pin xlr on the end.[apuresound solder the shielding onto pin 1 on the 3 pin plugs,so I soldered it to earth on the 4 pin].
In balanced mode and SE [with adapter] this amp has a wonderful clear dynamic sound and this straight out of the box.But it is in balanced mode that it shines,the detail/clarity/dynamics are outstanding.If I had to pick one point its the clarity, everything seems so clean and detailed,the CD3000's have never sounded this good.
The only problem is you tend to turn the volume up to much,but I can live with it.
Have only listened for an hour or so to make sure all was working so its only a quick impression and with low impedance phones,another nice point is that its not trying to act as a room heater as well as an amp.

All up for a total cost of $742us including postage for the dac and the balanced amp this is a no brainer,Little Dot are a well established company now and there gear just keeps getting better,this combination could sell in the $1000 + bracket and still be a bargain.
Over the next few days will run it with stock CD3000 and balanced SA5000,do not have any high impedance phones to test it with,so will leave that to others.

All up a very happy camper.

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #17 of 36
These units are nice and solid,here compared with my flip-phone,(yes some of us still use them).
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These units are nice and solid,here compared with my flip-phone,(yes some of us still use them).
biggrin.gif

congrats on your purchase! they look lovely
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #20 of 36
Mikeb, thanks for the very objective, thoughtful review and follow-up with the balanced cans. The LD MKV11 balanced amp sounds like a winner!

Questions:
1. Any problems with heat? Does the amp get hot?
2. Can you compare the LD with other balanced amps? I realize there aren't many in the same price range, but disregarding price, how does the LD stack up?

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #21 of 36
Congrats, ford2, and thanks for the nice review and photos. How would you compare the LD balanced to other balanced amps? Disregarding price differences, would you say they compare favorably?

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, ford2, and thanks for the nice review and photos. How would you compare the LD balanced to other balanced amps? Disregarding price differences, would you say they compare favorably?

My first balanced so who knows,but compared to the aria I had before a giant leap,I will balance all my phones now.
A lot of the increase in detail/clarity could be the result of the DAC as well,I am upsampling to 96 with slow filter and it just sounds good.
Like I said before this DAC/Amp are a good combination,they match each other in looks and sound and come from a well established company.
Do not be put off by the made in China,I would like to put one of these in a B22 case and take it to a meet,would be fun listening to all the opinions on how good it sounds.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

My first balanced so who knows,but compared to the aria I had before a giant leap,I will balance all my phones now.
A lot of the increase in detail/clarity could be the result of the DAC as well,I am upsampling to 96 with slow filter and it just sounds good.
Like I said before this DAC/Amp are a good combination,they match each other in looks and sound and come from a well established company.
Do not be put off by the made in China,I would like to put one of these in a B22 case and take it to a meet,would be fun listening to all the opinions on how good it sounds.

Quote:

I like to keep my cables neat,and the main reason for amp.

As to heat after 3 hrs running was only warm,can put your hand on it and leave it there.

Thanks for the replies. Your comment on the warmth is very reassuring. Also, thanks for the pics. Very neat setup. In contrast, the back of my setup is a tangle of cables.

My balanced cables are the double 3-prongs. I just ordered a single 4-prong in anticipation of ordering the balanced LD. However, I have a balanced DAC and probably won't be getting the LD matching pair.

Good point re placing the LD in the B22 case. My guess is that, in a valid A/B test, most if not all wouldn't be able to tell the difference or get it wrong and swear that the LD is the B22 and vice-versa. But this would be true for nearly all amps that are considered "good quality" by head-fiers. And this goes for balanced and SE, too.

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

I like to keep my cables neat,and the main reason for amp.

As to heat after 3 hrs running was only warm,can put your hand on it and leave it there.

Hi Ford,
where did you get those short XLR cables? I'm going to buy the MKVII as well, and I already have the DAC_I
Massimiliano

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ford,
where did you get those short XLR cables? I'm going to buy the MKVII as well, and I already have the DAC_I
Massimiliano

I made them from some apuresound solid core that was on a balanced adapter cable that I cut up,got two little RCA's out of it as well as a 4 pin XLR to TRS adapter.

You will not go wrong with that dac/amp combo.

Nov 29, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

You will not go wrong with that dac/amp combo.

Thanks ford2, I'll post my impressions as soon as I get the amp...You all can help me buying my MKV which is for sale now
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ford,
Massimiliano

You can also ask David to add a pair of short XLRs for a small price
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back