Little Dot MKIV: Static and smoke
Mar 3, 2009 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

McPanse

100+ Head-Fier
Have had my LD MKIV since last summer and generally pleased.

After powering it on this evening, I noticed a static burst coming through my speakers (I sometimes use it as a preamp paired with a Trends amp). I powered down the Trends, waited a few minutes, powered it back on and everything sounded fine. After several minutes, my right channel when nuts, producing loud, grating distortion. I powered everything down and noticed smoke come out from beneath the Little Dot.

Anybody ever heard of a Little Dot or any other tube amp exhibiting this kind of behavior?

David at Little Dot says to send it back to him, and that's what I intend to do this weekend.

But I've never had a a piece of gear do something like this. Should I be concerned about a reoccurrence once the amp is no longer under warranty?

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 6
Sounds like some or other component blew up. Don't think it's a common occurrence in LD amps, but they have, in my experience, when rushed, cut corners on build quality.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 6
I had a problem with sound imbalancement bias towards the left channel. David told me it was a torroidal transformer that was burnt. They sent me a new one. I now have a new revision of the LD MK IV SE but I still get this same ol' left bias channel imbalance. David told me this was normal as the ALPS potentiometer is not perfect at extreme ends. I now set my gain to 4x for the right channel and 3x for the left channel. Sound imbalancement is now biased towards the right but it is less annoying than if both channels are set to 3x. Anyhow! You'l get a new one. That's what matters.

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 6
Ive just had the exact same problem. Had a loud crackling through the headphones and smoke coming from underneath. Ive also had the amp since last summer, so it could be down to a bad batch of components\build quality at the time.

I posted it back this morning.

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 6
I've have a problem with my MKV cutting out now and then. I have to take my K701 stand and rap it on the top of the enclosure to get the sound to resume. I think there must be a loose connection somewhere inside, but I don't have the know-how to fix it. I can't talk badly about LD though, as David told me to send it in for free repair. I'm waiting for my WA6 SE to arrive and then I probably will. I just can't stand to go without it until then. I will continue to smack it 6 times or so a night until my Woo arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back