little dot mk2 or 3?
Jun 15, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 12

I just received my LD Mkll today. I decided to get the Mkll instead of MKIII because of space issues and since it will be sitting next to my Little Dot 1+ which you already know is a hybrid tube and the MKII and MKIII are full tube output using 4 tubes instead of the two tubes on the LD 1+. The reason I brought the second Little Dot was that it had pre-amp outputs that the Little Dot 1+ did not have to drive my new Tannoy monitors. The two LD's look more similar to each other. I will write a review comparing the two Little Dot's. I did allot of work trying many tubes and op-amps with the Little Dot 1+ and ended up with the Little Dot 1+ with the 408A tubes and the OPA2107 Op-amp. At first listening with my new LD MKII with the headphones I can tell that there is quite a bit of difference in sound as compared to my molded LD 1+ using the stock tubes. I have three other headphones to try and I will see if the LD MKII can drive them. I did adjust the gain to 4 on the switches and that seems to be fine with the hot ouputs on my Behringer SRC2496.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 12
I already have a complete new set on hand with the CV4010 and the 6H30PI tubes. I will be using the stock for a while and check how well it can drive my other headphones. The highs does not appear as prominent as with the Little Dot 1+ but I need to burn in the tubes a bit and run some tests as well and check for compatibility with driving my Tannoys which was one of the reasons for the second LD.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 12
I rarely use headphones for gaming. For gaming I think that headphones makes a bigger difference than the amp. The Mk3 seems to be more popular and has some upgraded parts like the filter caps are spec for higher operating temps and a different volume control. It is your pick. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back