Little Dot MK VI - Attenuator or Gain Control?
Dec 2, 2008 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ben Diss

Head-Fier
If anyone with a MK VI can answer a question I would really appreciate it.

Does the knob on the front control the amp gain, or does it attenuate the signal? If the latter, does it do this to the input or output? Anyone know the specs on the pot?

Thanks very much!

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 9
I see. So its almost certainly an attenuator.

Thing is I have a DACT 50k balanced attenuator from an old, dead project just sitting in a box. I'm wondering if it could be used on the MK VI and if so, would be a worthwhile upgrade?

Not sure what pots in there and exactly what it does.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 9
It is not "almost", but certainly an attenuator. Whatever gave you the impression it would be dynamic gain control? That whole principle is a VERY bad idea as amps act differently at different gain and changing the gain while it's powered on is generally undesirable.

Think that DACT will fit?
http://www.audiophilechina.com/manag...0885227424.jpg

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 9
I guess I kinda wondered about it from setting all of the different amp's gains that I own...
wink_face.gif

Hard to tell from that pic if it will fit. I can't tell how high the fuse assembly is that sits behind it. Here's a pic of my attenuator.

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 9
Ah, if only it were that simple. The Mk VI is somewhere over the pacific right now and I have someone that wants to buy the Dact unit.

Would it matter much that this attenuator is 50k? I've seen pots used that were 100k.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 9
i can tell you that it is an attenuator

when i was ordering my MK VI, Dave sent me an email saying something along the lines of "we just got the potentiometers in a few days ago"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back