Little Dot MK II + DT990/600???
Jan 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jono454

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone on head-fi. I currently have the e9+e17 setup from fiio with my dt990 600. While i love this combo i find that the highs can be a tad bit sharp sometimes. Based on searching the forums i found that the MKIII would be a good match however the MKIII would not be within my budget so my question now is..does anyone know if the MKII would be able to power the dt990 600 well enough and tone down the sharpness a bit. I would be running it with the e17 as a DAC.

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 5
I have exactly the Little Dot MKII and DT990 600Ω.  The default driver tubes that come with the MKII are pretty bright to begin with.  You'd have to spend even more money on tubes to get some warmer ones.  Mullards come to mind.  However, you're still going to get a good deal of treble spike.  The best solution to get rid of the treble spike would be to get a new headphone or use a really good hardware EQ.

I'm not sure how the LDMKII powers the DT990 600Ω in comparison to the E9, but judging from my own reactions towards the combo and other people's reactions towards the E9, I don't think there'd be a significant difference in terms of actual dynamics.

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I have exactly the Little Dot MKII and DT990 600Ω.  The default driver tubes that come with the MKII are pretty bright to begin with.  You'd have to spend even more money on tubes to get some warmer ones.  Mullards come to mind.  However, you're still going to get a good deal of treble spike.  The best solution to get rid of the treble spike would be to get a new headphone or use a really good hardware EQ.

I'm not sure how the LDMKII powers the DT990 600Ω in comparison to the E9, but judging from my own reactions towards the combo and other people's reactions towards the E9, I don't think there'd be a significant difference in terms of actual dynamics.

Thanks for the response...just saved me $170. While i don't really mind the brightness i just thought it would sound even better if it were more tame and i heard that tube amps are suppose to make them warmer sounding. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 5
+1 for being an armored core fan. I've loved that game ever since the very first armored core on psx

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Hello everyone on head-fi. I currently have the e9+e17 setup from fiio with my dt990 600. While i love this combo i find that the highs can be a tad bit sharp sometimes. Based on searching the forums i found that the MKIII would be a good match however the MKIII would not be within my budget so my question now is..does anyone know if the MKII would be able to power the dt990 600 well enough and tone down the sharpness a bit. I would be running it with the e17 as a DAC.

Heya,

Changing amps to adjust for a frequency response on a headphone doesn't make sense. Sounds more like you should have a less bright headphone. If the amplifier is changing the brightness, that's basically hardware equalization. So you would be fine simply using software or some other means to equalize your music. Take the treble down from 7khz to 10khz by 2~3 dB and you should be good to go without changing much of the overall sound.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back