Little Dot Micro+ vs. HeadRoom Total AirHead: my impressions
May 13, 2007 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kontai69

1000+ Head-Fier
The metal LDM+ is certainly tiny and looks more solid when compared to the larger plastic TAH. However, the LDM+ 1/8" jacks seem be lower quality since it feels "rough" when inserting and pulling out plugs. The volume pot also makes static sound when turning unlike the TAH.

I compared both amps using the line out of a vintage Panasonic PCDP (made in Japan!) as source. The cans used were the Alessandro MS-1 (with bowls) and Koss KSC75.

The LDM+ is quite strident and aggressive. It is certainly brighter, has a more forward midrange, and has a "thumpy" bass. The TAH is smoother sounding and darker. I've never heard such a difference in amps that I've owned. I've simultaneusly owned and A/B compared a Gilmore Lite and GS-1 before and the difference was a lot more subtle.

LDM+ sounds too fatiquing and refined with the MS-1. I much prefer the TAH with this can. However, the LDM+ sounds fantastic with the KSC75. It adds liveliness to its somewhat dark and flat sound. Guitars have much more twang. I guess this is what is called "synergy."

May 13, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 3
When I had the LDM+ for my SR225s. I noticed that..

* The treble was further brightened.. making the 225s fatiguing
* The Mids/Vocal were slighty pushed back
* Introduction of hissing (ps: i do not use a line out from iPod)

I finally decided to ditch the LDM, no amp sounds better
biggrin.gif

As for the TBH, haven't heard one....

May 13, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 3
I used the LDM+, E3C's and a Iriver PMP-120. this setup produced no hiss and the LDM+ helped the E3C's gain more bass and seperation.. I've since moved to a Zune and E500's where the LDM+ hisses like crazy and recesses the highs while tightening up the bass some.. I no longer use it as the sound straight from the Zune has been more than satisfying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back