Little Dot Micro+ initial impressions
Aug 3, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #241 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by hdfonelover
would the grado sr225s benefit from ldm+ at all? many say grados sound great unamped? just being curious after reading all that impressions on ldm+.

*happy listening
rs1smile.gif

Dunno about the 225s as I've never heard them, but the HF-1s do benefit a bit.

Sep 8, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #242 of 432
Just got my LDM+ today, hooked it up and feels lacking in the bass, I feel it literally reduces the bass. I can hear definitely hear improvements with the mids and highs but there wasn't much improvement in bass. I just don't feel like bass like I do with my living room reciever (Pioneer VSX-84TXSi). I tried hooking the LDM+ to my reciever just for the heck of it and can seriously hear the bass reduction, but the improved mids and highs were there.

I've read somewhere that you have to burn in the amp?

Here's my config X-Fi -> LDM+ -> HD595. I was wondering if I can leave my LDM+ volume on max and use software to control the volume instead of turning the knob on the LDM+ all the time.

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #243 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTicaL
Just got my LDM+ today, hooked it up and feels lacking in the bass, I feel it literally reduces the bass. I can hear definitely hear improvements with the mids and highs but there wasn't much improvement in bass. I just don't feel like bass like I do with my living room reciever (Pioneer VSX-84TXSi). I tried hooking the LDM+ to my reciever just for the heck of it and can seriously hear the bass reduction, but the improved mids and highs were there.

I've read somewhere that you have to burn in the amp?

Here's my config X-Fi -> LDM+ -> HD595. I was wondering if I can leave my LDM+ volume on max and use software to control the volume instead of turning the knob on the LDM+ all the time.

It's a better idea to max out all the volume sliders in software, and adjust the final volume with the amp. Letting the computer decide how much voltage to put out reduces sound quality.

Yup and give it some time for burn-in.

Sep 21, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #245 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by snowice
I'm think about getting the HD580, but dont want to spend too much money on an amp initially. Any of you guys has experience with the HD580 and LDM+ combination?

Well I've ordered a gold standard gain LDM+
smily_headphones1.gif
I still like my antique Headroom Supreme but it is a brick at 1 lb 4 ounces without the external 4xD cell auxillary battery pack. Given the size and weight it rarely is used as a transportable with portable use being completely out of the question.

I looked at a LOT of threads here covering a lot of small portable amps. I took consensus opinions about coldness vs warmth, low or top end emphasis, merits of various OpAmps, synergy with different cans, et all into consideration, and ultimately decided to try this very inexpensive amp which has been reported (even in this thread
smily_headphones1.gif
) to work well with a good number of Senn models. That said I do intend to try it with my AKG and Shures too.

Sep 21, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #247 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by snowice
I'm think about getting the HD580, but dont want to spend too much money on an amp initially. Any of you guys has experience with the HD580 and LDM+ combination?

Holy Extensions batman!
eggosmile.gif
I picked this up in the PO this morning and it blows me away when plugging in ksc75! I read good synergy with the koss, and now Im a believer! Regarding the 580s, Ill try them out tonight when I get home, and post more impressions once they are fully burned in. When they ship back my spuerfi5's from warranty Ill post results with those too..

BTW This amp was a generous gift from David and Mr Yang regarding somthing on this thread

LDM+%20In%20Action.jpg

Sep 23, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #248 of 432
So I think im going to give this little amp a shot, it will be my first headphone amp.

I'm not sure which "gain" version I should ask for as I'm a bit of a noob. I'll mostly be using the Altec IM716's in HD mode. I understand the impedance is different depending on the mode and don't know which gain I should get. Any help?

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #249 of 432
After almost 30 hours of burn in > >
ipod4g > mostly ripped in aac some alac > ALO sixshooter > LDM+ > 580/w650 grill and stock cable | ksc75 w/quarter mod, kramer holes, recabled

KSC75: Even more treble extension!
biggrin.gif
Blows away the total airhead with these cans. Actually, something is wrong with my cabling tho:( as I used really cheesy components and the mid-highs just disappeared. I think stock ksc75 sounds absolutely wonderful with this amp, and maybe a better cable job than mine will add to the trebel and bass without killing the mids and mid-highs.. read: cold solder joints?

HD580: First of all, I think this is the high impedence version, as the 580 sounds very reasonable with the knob at the 12o'clock position.

It feels different from its bigger valve brother.. I dont know exactly how to describe it, but it sounds more fluid, but a bit compressed at the highs. There is a graininess throughout the whole spectrum that seems to put a very thin barrier between the music and the listener but it is minimal.

Female vocals with guitar and piano accomp seems like the model which is presented most differently. The vocalist is placed closer, and the guitar is pushed back, unlike the airhead which places both at approx the same distance. This is much more enjoyable in some situations, but not all, such as when backing vocalists are present. There is more of a soundstage regarding vocals and backing vocals on the airhead.

Overall though, mids sound much more upfront than the total airhead, which is more prominent in the highs.

On the low end, bass is much more punchy. Beats are fat and fast, though not as fat as the airhead, but much more discernable since theres more thump and punch instead of an "airy boom"

Theres less decay in piano notes too, but then I really dont listen to piano solos when i'm mobile.

(0 is default total airhead)
Simplified, i would say with the 580s--->
low +2
mid lows -1
mids 0
mid highs +1
highs -2 (colder sounding but still doesn't do the 580s justice)

KSC75 (kramer + quarter mod)(before my [size=small]ghetto[/size] cable job)
low +1
mid lows -1
mid +1
mid highs 0
highs +2

With 580 IMO its a bit fun to listen to, and doesn not darken nor lighten the senns, but rather changes the sound in different fequencies in different ways. Mainly gives a midrange hump, and collapses the soundstage.

It is better with the KSC75, as it highlights the mids and doesnt lost the high end sparkle of the little clip ons.

This is in no way definitive, as I have yet to burn it in for 70 more hours, then use my home setup with my best classical and rock cds..
580smile.gif

[size=medium]Stuff I used for this:[/size]

Rikki- suteki da ne
ff10-suteki.jpg

Weezer- Make Believe
enter-thumb.jpg

Namie Amuro- Style
139084881_309a750e06_o.jpg

Peter Frampton- Now
frampton_gr.jpg

Utada Hikaru- Ultra Blue, Deep River
R0187253.jpg

utadahikaru_deepriver.jpg

Beatles- White
Product_Beatles_White-Album.jpg

ATB- Seven Years
B000B8I8VE.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #250 of 432
HydroCity,

Your efforts here vis-a-vis the HD580 are appreciated AND most interesting
580smile.gif

Thank you!

Sep 25, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #251 of 432
hYdrociTy, do you have the 2006 Total Airhead? If so, is it so mediocre
blink.gif

Sep 25, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #252 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
hYdrociTy, do you have the 2006 Total Airhead? If so, is it so mediocre
blink.gif

Yep the 2006 one. I mainly use the amp for its crossfeed feature, which is very helpful in those panned headache-makers..The airhead is also somewhat more neutral in my opinion, and because of its size I use it as a desk amp for when I leave home. The main problem with the airhead/ipod setup isnt really the airhead. Its the lack of bass on the ipod, which the ldm+ somewhat boosts. Less neutral but I like it with the ipod..

Sep 25, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #253 of 432
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
BTW This amp was a generous gift from David and Mr Yang regarding somthing on this thread

LDM+%20In%20Action.jpg

They have pretty good customer service. I got my LDM+ at half price from David cause he made a mistake with my order. He even offered me full compensation off the price of LDM+ (I was to pay the shipping only), which I had to refuse given his honesty and sincerity.

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #255 of 432
OK, I'm very close to buying this amp. I just ordered the Koss A130 and already have the KSC 75 and have been recommended the Little Dot Micro+. Does everyone think this amp is the best cheap amp to pair with these two headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back