Little Dot Micro+ arrived
Jul 2, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #32 of 67
Perfect, thanks!

Jul 2, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #33 of 67
Btw, on the XM3 I want to try 2 AD8655 on a Browndog... 220 mA output current, rail-to-rail, 0.0007 THD+N, CMOS hence power supply limited to 5.5V max. That's perfect for the XM3's design, no DC offset problems expected or such, if you only take care to respect the power supply limit of course...

Jul 2, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #34 of 67
I'd still recommend against using the LDM+ plugged into AC power at all times. Lithium batteries are designed to be drained just like any other battery, take advantage and use it. It lasts at least 160 hours continuously, so you can definitely just recharge it every day if you want to but that's not really necessary. An AC connection introduces line noise, ABX it with and without and I'll bet you'll hear it.

Jul 2, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #35 of 67
Yuck, apparently this is a very efficient portable amp, unlike a few others - you could really use it on battery power all of the time even at home!

However yesterday I incidentally first listened with the DC plug disconnected (perhaps the battery wasn't fully charged?), then I realized it and switched to external power, and I'm positive I heard a small improvement, mainly in midrange smoothness. The datasheet tells that the MAX9724 chip distorts less with 5V (or so) than it does with lower voltages, independently of output power and load, maybe that's why. Besides, I didn't notice audible background noise with the external power although I didn't exactly listen for it.

Jul 2, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #36 of 67
The background noise is only a problem with low impedance IEMs (e.g. ER6i), and probably low impedance closed headphones (e.g. DT770 32 ohm). I'm not surprised that you don't hear it with the HD650 and HD485.

Jul 2, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #37 of 67
db597, btw, would you mind quickly telling what you gain in sound quality with the Headfive over the Micro+ ? Just to cry a little over what I've missed
tongue.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #38 of 67
I can hear the AC line noise with my 3 high-end cans - then again, I have good hearing for things like that. Subtle, but it's there. It's like a very faint buzz, inaudible when music is going of course, but it drives me crazy when I'm switching CDs or something like that.
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #39 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
db597, btw, would you mind quickly telling what you gain in sound quality with the Headfive over the Micro+ ? Just to cry a little over what I've missed
tongue.gif

Andrea, I initially wrote a long reply about this. But the Head-fi server was acting up for a few hours. I couldn't post. In the end, I closed my browser my mistake at it was all gone.
frown.gif

Let me sum up the main differences quickly:

1. there is far less background hiss with the H5. It's noise floor is much lower.

2. the H5's treble is less sharp. The detail is there, slightly more than the LDM+, but it's just not so shrill. Great, in my opinion, for taming Grados. Not so sure about the HD650, since that is rather warm already.

3. bass is more natural. I found some colourations in the bass with the LDM+ when paired with my ER6i. The H5 doesn't show this.

4. you can use the cross feed to get an even wider soundstage. The downside is that the spatial positioning of the instruments becomes a bit less precise.

Ultimately, the 2 amps are very different in terms of price and usage (portable vs. fixed). So I would expect more from the H5, and it does rightly deliver more. These observations were between a 150 hrs burned in LDM+ and a 10 hour burned in H5. I've not done another side by side since then. The LDM+ is now attached to a PC in another room from the H5. If anything, the H5's treble has opened up a little more since then.

Jul 3, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #40 of 67
Heh, something like that happened to me as well, recently. Really irritating
mad.gif
Anyway, thanks for the summing up effort! It was really interesting to read.

With my LDM+ I haven't yet made out this bass colouration that you described. I don't know if it may have to do with the different power supply - but I think that's possible. Perhaps even the interconnects could have an influence.

Crossfeed, to be honest, doesn't appeal to me, but then, perhaps if I used intraaural 'phones...?

One last detail - how about the midrange? In terms of musicality, i.e. colourfulness-naturalness-pleasantness, would you say that the Headfive has a clear edge over the LDM+ ? Thank you!

Jul 4, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #41 of 67
Andrea, the H5 is a very "fun" amp. With the warm signature and the smooth presentation, it's not so analytical. But it is very musical... I can't describe it well. To draw an analogy, it's a bit like the Marantz CD63 - imperfect at reproducing the music in an exact manner, but very nice to listen to.

As for the mid range, I haven't really paid attention to it - I normally only listen out for how punch and well defined the bass is, and the crispness of the hi-hats. Will need a switch to do proper comparisons. Also, the amps use different interconnects, so there's more variable in there than is ideal.

Jul 4, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #42 of 67
Thank you!

The air has cooled down a bit today so I put the headphones back on...

No way, I had deluded myself a little 'bout the LDM+. My Pioneer A-209R sounds better, more warm(timbre), harmonious, emotional, effortless, smooth and luminous in the midrange. Not any less detailed either! Even in the treble, which is also less shrill. It would be a tough battle, with the Headfive
580smile.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #43 of 67
Also, to be fair, my upgraded Portaphile X^3 comes closer in overall quality to the Pioneer integrated amp than the LDM+ does. Obviously this doesn't detract from the positive impression about the LDM+, it just gives it the right measure
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #44 of 67
It's very hot over on here in London too. Sweating badly... argh, my poor HD595. I've switched over back to my ER6i for now.

I've never heard your Pioneer. Must be very good from your description. For it's price range, the LDM+ is considered to be on par with the PA2V2 - a bit less bassy, but more clear and neutral. And that's quite a feat, since the PA2V2 is so highly regarded.

Jul 4, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #45 of 67
I was in London for a month a few years ago (summer 2002) and I remember being surprised at the hot weather, not much cooler than here (north-east Italy) indeed. However there was always that breeze that swept away humidity - unlike here where my place is
mad.gif
But today at least it's fine. Were it always like this in summer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back