Little Dot LD II+ Review and comparison to LD II
Oct 4, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #166 of 426
You can always e-mail David Z. P. directly at little.tube @ gmail.com to get this resolved. I don't know with purchasing it through that re-seller whether there will be add'l cost, but that's the place to start for sure. I purchased a full set of tubes for both the LD II+ and LD III+ just to have myself.

Oct 4, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #167 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by systema
Hi guys,

Guess this is my first post. I've just received my LD II+ in mail 2 weeks ago and seems like one of the power tube is arcing as well. Every time when I turn the amp on (even when I've left it there for a day or so before I turn it on), a blue sprak/arc can be seen even without turning of the light. A loud pop can be heard from one of the channel of the headphone.

Problem is, I'm at Oz and I can't find a replacement tube, and I'm stuck with a 3rd party seller (well, that's the only seller for the LD products in the ebay.com.au) that says it's perfectly normal (while in my heart, i know it's not). I guess the 4P1S is not really that an reliable tube (well, at least this batch), may be Mr. Yang should replace that with some other tubes in the next model.

Anywayz, i'm stuck here with an amp that I don't dare turning on. sigh.

Sorry !
No matter where you bought this LD II+ ,
We'll send you substitute tubes as soon as possible.

Oct 5, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #168 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by sword_yang
Sorry !
No matter where you bought this LD II+ ,
We'll send you substitute tubes as soon as possible.

Thanks Mr. Yang, I really appreciate your help. I am just wondering, may be a more popular power tube model can be used in the next little dot? something that has an abundant supply in the market so that we can easily access replacements? (and extra modding opportunities of course
eggosmile.gif
)

Oct 5, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #169 of 426
...but if so, I hope it remains a DHT tube.
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #170 of 426
This thread has been cooling down a bit lately... people need to get up from their listening chair and spend more time discussing gear!
wink.gif

Now that many people have had a chance to listen to their LDII+, I'm wondering is there anyone who's not happy with the amp.

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #171 of 426
To reply to the post above, I'm a headphone amp novice who has had a LD2+ for a few days now, purchased from another head-fier. I've been having alot of fun using it to drive my recently acquired RS-1s. I found the build quality remarkably good for the cost, and I'm hearing plenty of improvement in soundstage, richer mids, and less shrill highs compared to the headphone out on my receiver, which I've been making do with up to now. It's bringing my jazz, soul and reggae CDs to life -- especially live recordings, for some reason -- but the bass is a touch soupy for my taste, so I haven't enjoyed it as much playing electronica and the like. When I start to get afflicted by upgradities, which i anticipate will be soon,
rs1smile.gif
that's what I'll be looking to remedy...all in all, a fun starter amp to get my feet wet with...

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #172 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by loisada
To reply to the post above, I'm a headphone amp novice who has had a LD2+ for a few days now, purchased from another head-fier. I've been having alot of fun using it to drive my recently acquired RS-1s. I found the build quality remarkably good for the cost, and I'm hearing plenty of improvement in soundstage, richer mids, and less shrill highs compared to the headphone out on my receiver, which I've been making do with up to now. It's bringing my jazz, soul and reggae CDs to life -- especially live recordings, for some reason -- but the bass is a touch soupy for my taste, so I haven't enjoyed it as much playing electronica and the like. When I start to get afflicted by upgradities, which i anticipate will be soon,
rs1smile.gif
that's what I'll be looking to remedy...all in all, a fun starter amp to get my feet wet with...

loisada,

I'm still trying to figure out what "soupy" bass sounds like.
smily_headphones1.gif
Can't say I've heard that one before and really would like to better understand that expression. Thanks!

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #173 of 426
fair question!
wink.gif
I realized after I posted that I was a bit slap-dash with the description. Perhaps 'loose' or 'sloppy' would be a better term -- the amp and RS1s sound great together, but on more electronic sounding music in particular the bottom end is a bit wooly and lacking in precision. From my reading, I've been wondering if this is a characteristic of the 'tube sound' in general, or whether I could expect a higher end tube amp to exhibit more tightness in that regard. As I said, I'm a novice, so it's hard to distinguish which part of my fledgling set-up is determining which aspect of the sound...

Oct 11, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #174 of 426
F%$#! Im getting the arching now too. Its clearly visable in the day time and with the lights on. I hear the loup pop in the left side of my headphones. I emailed David already
frown.gif

Oct 11, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #175 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by pelayostyle
F%$#! Im getting the arching now too. Its clearly visable in the day time and with the lights on. I hear the loup pop in the left side of my headphones. I emailed David already
frown.gif

^
frown.gif

How long have you had the amp?

Oct 11, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #176 of 426
Let us know how long you have had these amps that start to pop. If it is this big of a problem than maby the LD crew should send out tubes that have been tested with the new tube tester they got...

Oct 11, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #177 of 426
I have had my LDII+ for a week or two. Some but not much usage during that time. Tonight when I turned on my amp, a bright light flashed on the left power tube. I didn't have my phones on (my DT880's) so I can't say if it made a loud poping noise, although I am sure that it did. The arc was very bright and I was afraid that it had damaged my phones.
frown.gif
They work fine. But I was very nervous when I saw that. I emailed David, told him about the problem, and requested that he send me new tubes.

I hope this corrects the problem. But I must say, I am having second thoughts about this amp, as this "arcing" problem seems to be more than an isolated incident. The additional safety precautions -- voltage suppressor and 2x tube testing -- have not seemed to work fully. On the plus side, the customer service from David and Mr. Yang appear to be first rate, so that is comforting.

I'll keep you updated.

-------

I already got a response from David. That is quality CS. I asked him to send me new tubes and told him that I stopped using the amp because I did not want to damage my phones. Here is his response:

"We will send out the tubes immediately. Actually even with the faulty tubes, there is no way the tubes could damage your headphones at this point since all Little Dot 2+ produced in the last three weeks or so have a voltage suppression diode in the circuit."

That's good news. I feel a lot better now.
580smile.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #178 of 426
Hey vcoheda,
Woudl you mind opening up your ld2+ and taking some pics of the diode that was added. I might be brave enough to install it myslef if it doesnt look too hard. Thanks

Oct 12, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #179 of 426
I emailed David about my tube arcing incident late last week and my new tubes arrived yesterday. Great service
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #180 of 426
I would like to but I don't have a digital camera. Plus, I'm not even sure I would recognize the diode. A little unfamiliar in that area. But it seems that if you purchased your LDII+ in the last 3 weeks or so, the voltage suppressor should be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back