Little Dot III+, Initial Disappointment
Sep 25, 2006 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, after waiting about two weeks (because I had to special order a 110v version), my Little Dot III+ arrived today--defective. The left channel socket for the 4P1S power tube would not accept the tube (yes, I did line up the guide pin properly). The 4P1S on that side would not bottom, and oh what a anxious task to dislodge it! I also noted gross microphonics with the amp/supplied tubes. Thirdly, I was not impressed with the quality of the packaging, either. The amp was shipped upside-down, had "hot glue hair" on it, and was not even wrapped/covered with a plastic sleeve or bag. To me, this shows a lack of customer concern and a lack of pride in their product. Just a little QA goes a long, long way.

Oh, well, at least the right channel sounded promising!

This is my third experience with getting shipments from China, and my second significant problem
frown.gif
. Now, I am sweating out the return policy and the exhorbitant return shipping costs. I hope the Chinese are gracious and refund my money in full--including shipping costs both ways. As to requesting a replacement, I don't know whether I have the mental fortitude to go through this process again.

The Meier HeadFive is back online (which I prefer, by the way, to the HA-2, Mk.II), and the UE Super.fi 5 Pro's are singing gracefully: "Carry me back to old West Bonn. . ."
plainface.gif

Little Dot III+less in the central backwoods of New York State . . .

Sep 25, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 16
wow! sorry to hear about your experience. totally sucks. i pulled the trigger on my first purchase from the far east, taiwan, and a bit nervous about it. the guy has a good reputation and people mention how good his packaging is so that helps ease my mind a bit. plus it is a solid state DAC - less bits to get easily damaged.

i tend to keep my purchases within the states just because it is easier to deal with problems... usually.
wink.gif

good luck! hope it turns out okay for you!

Sep 25, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 16
That sucks,

I have the Lil Dot III and just love it paired with my well broken in K701's. Only problem I have had is I blew a fuse in the power supply once.

Sep 25, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 16
My mouth just hit the floor! My LD III+ just arrived today and the sonic improvement over the LD II+ which I was quite happy with is staggering ...strike that -- staggering is too extreme -- but you get the drift even if I don't have the vocabulary to think of the proper adjective right now. I am most certainly egg-static right now.

Impedance detection really does its thing; when the 250ohm phones are incorrectly detected as 32 or 60 ohms, there's an appreciable difference in acoustics then when I turn off and on the amp to re-detect the phones, and then play them at the proper 300 ohm level. The transients are markedly improved from the LD II+. There's noticable more gain with the LD III+ then the II+ allowing for the volume control to be kept lower and noticably lower distortion; better transients & imaging; the presence range is most improved. But when you do crank it, it's still a much cleaner sound driving the phones. A soft laid-back sound this amp is not! And -that- was the most surprising of eveything.

I'm bumm'n for ya. I'll say, all is not perfect with my order either. I purchased 2 extra full sets of tubes @ the same time; one for this and one for the LD II+. The packer found places to stick the extra driver tubes in the foam that holds the amp in transit, but the 4 Mullar driver tubes were just rattling around in the box! Geez! Wrap them in bubble wrap and wedge them in the box!!! I haven't tried them yet to see if they got damages, but I will be. Additionally, one of those loose tubes must have got jammed on the volume nob and put three divets into the face and bezeled edge.
frown.gif
Only cosmetic but I'll be asking for another nob. ...again, all the packer's fault... I can't believe there's that high a volume of this stuff that they can't take the time to bubble-wrap (if they have it there in China) 4 tubes, not only so the tubes don't get damaged but so the pins don't damage the amp either.

I'm wondering if the Mullard EF91 is behind this dramatic sonic improvement I'm hearing in the upper midrange then the EF92 used in the LD II+. I'm going to find out if the 91 can be used in the II+ and try them out if so.

I know with other occurences you had you're jaded. My ordering and shipping experience was great on the other hand (other then the loose tubes and divet'ed volume nob; but what really matters, being the amps themselves and sound has been great). I do recommend you get it fixed my friend.... (or have them send you a new unit while you send yours back!) This LD III+ is a treat to my ears! If previous experience is worth anything, Little Tube bends over backwards to set things straight ; evidenced by the manner in which the tube arching problem that was detailed in the LDII vs. LDII+ thread was resolved. I can't praise Little Tube more highly for what I'm listening to driving my DT880 phones for $349. I'm hoping you'll be able to praise them not only for that but the manner in which they resolve this problem.

Sep 25, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 16
And, the hype train has left the station...Choo Chooo ;-}

*900,000 Tons Of Steel, made to roll.
Her brakes don't work and this grade's so steep, her engine's sure to blow.
900,000 Tons Of Steel, out of control.
She's more a roller-coaster than the train I used to know.*

Lyrics by: The Greatful Dead ;-}

Sep 25, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 16
m80,
Thanks for the encouraging words. Maybe I'll have them send a replacement. Zunqiu, at Little Tube, is a super guy to communicate with, and he seems very willing to rectify the defective amp. Was also looking at the G & S and the Darkvoice--boy, a guy could go broke just buying Chinese head amps!

Sep 26, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by spartan123
...Only problem I have had is I blew a fuse in the power supply once.

Well isn't that a kick in the pants ... my fuse just blew too! Input level was low and the volume nob was at about 50%. ...I guess we know where they're saving $$$ -- fuse supply.
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 16
Sorry to hear of your situation, pataburd. If you wouldn't mind keeping us posted in this thread as to how your unfortunate predicament is resolved? Little Dot is a company I was looking to do business with in the future, if my newly found fascination with this hobby sustains itself.

Thanks, and best of luck to you.

Sep 26, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 16
Update. David replied right away. He asked me if the box looked like it had been opened. Looking again, I realize there's two different tapes on it. The 2nd one reads "China Post" on it ; I didn't even realize there was English writing 'till now; I just saw the large Chinese writing on it and thought " good it was unopened" ...well, quite the contrary. So, I think I have China Post / Customs to blame for the loose tubes and cosmetic damage to the volume nob!

Sep 26, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #10 of 16
Just to throw in a little Little Dot support. When my tubes went defective in my LDII+, they sent me replacements quickly. From when I told them till when they arrived at my front door was 3 or 4 days. and I live on the East Coast of the US.

Sep 26, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 16
Pataburd,
Sorry my product give you so trouble!
I will fulfil your all request, as soon as possible send back your money by paypal.
Sorry again !
Yang.

and thanks m8o invaluableners advice very much! I will ameliorate it future.

Sep 26, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 16
The LD3+ is going back into the mail today. I put the amp and power supply into plastic bags for the return shipment.

Little Tube has graciously offered a full refund or replacement for the defective, in addition to reimbursing me for return postage. Five-star (*****) customer service, but it is costing the manufacturer much more to address quality issues on the back end than on the front end of the transaction.

I'm deliberating whether or not to ask for a Little Dot III+ replacement; it may be dependent on turn around time (I waited two weeks for the defective). Am considering the BADA PH-12 hybrid, on sale at Pacific Valve for $450--it ships from the Midwest, too.

Loretta Lynn is singing to me over the HeadFive and "FS"-modded UE Super.fi 5 Pro's . . .
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by m8o
Update. David replied right away. He asked me if the box looked like it had been opened. Looking again, I realize there's two different tapes on it. The 2nd one reads "China Post" on it ; I didn't even realize there was English writing 'till now; I just saw the large Chinese writing on it and thought " good it was unopened" ...well, quite the contrary. So, I think I have China Post / Customs to blame for the loose tubes and cosmetic damage to the volume nob!

Mine, too. Customs must have re-packed the LD3+ upside-down en route.
eek.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 16
Good Report: Little Tube very graciously refunded my full purchase price for the defective LD3+, plus shipping both ways, plus PayPal fees. Customer service was unsurpassed. The representative bent over backwards to make sure I was happy, and there was absolutely no pressure in the process to get me to replace the unit.

Mr. Zunqiu Chen, I salute you! From henceforth may your tube sockets never be crimped! I raise this cup of rice wine with both hands, and slightly kow-tow, in your honor! I will remember you cordially with every screening of a Shaw Brothers martial arts film!

Anyway, it turned out to be fortuitous: I ended up ordering the 110v DarkVoice 336i (and saved $100).
wink.gif
The careless packing, extreme microphonics and QA issues with the LD3+ were definitely cause(s) for my concern(s).

Besides--I muse--the DV336i uses 6SN7 tubes, of which I have a surplus (from my MPX3 days).
wink.gif
The DV is due in about 1.5 weeks. I am indeed going over to the Dark(voice) Side.

(Mental Note: Why do I have a predilection for the winking smiley?)

Oct 4, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd
The LD3+ is going back into the mail today. I put the amp and power supply into plastic bags for the return shipment.

Little Tube has graciously offered a full refund or replacement for the defective, in addition to reimbursing me for return postage. Five-star (*****) customer service, but it is costing the manufacturer much more to address quality issues on the back end than on the front end of the transaction.

I'm deliberating whether or not to ask for a Little Dot III+ replacement; it may be dependent on turn around time (I waited two weeks for the defective). Am considering the BADA PH-12 hybrid, on sale at Pacific Valve for $450--it ships from the Midwest, too.

Loretta Lynn is singing to me over the HeadFive and "FS"-modded UE Super.fi 5 Pro's . . .
wink.gif

I'd ask for a second one and also ask that mr. little check it for you.

Seems like folks really like the working ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back