Little Dot II++ with HD 650?
Aug 16, 2009 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Aaquib

100+ Head-Fier
How do you guys think these will sound? I bought the HD 650 used for $265 shipped and can get the LD II++ for roughly $120. What do you guys think? I don't have the budget to spend any more, so how are these going to sound? I haven't received the HD 650 yet, but from what I've read, they pretty much need an amp.

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 5
Yes...they'll definately need an amp. My HD600 work great with my LD Mk III. I love the tube amp with these phones. I haven't heard the HD650, but I suspect you'll be fine until you upgrade your amp down the road.

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaquib /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you guys think these will sound? I bought the HD 650 used for $265 shipped and can get the LD II++ for roughly $120. What do you guys think? I don't have the budget to spend any more, so how are these going to sound? I haven't received the HD 650 yet, but from what I've read, they pretty much need an amp.

Aaquib, to give you an idea, I've set up my LD2++ with my $300 AspireOne notebook as transport. I'm playing WAV files in Foobar2000 and using the built-in DAC as source. Output is through the 1/8" headphone jack to RCAs directly into the LD2++. Headphones is HD650 with Cardas cable. I'm playing my standard test tracks with classic, blues, jazz, ballad, classic rock, and a bass test track. How good is it? I think most people, in a blind ABX test, would have a difficult time distinguishing between this simple rig and one costing 10 times as much, including separate DAC and amp units.

My only complaint with the LD2++ is the heat build-up. It gets really hot. I'm not sure if this is normal for all tube amps. But if you don't mind the heat, I think you're in for a fantastic audio ride.

Caveat: the test tracks are lossless and known good quality. I'm not sure what your results would be with lower quality tracks.

Don't let cost alone determine the effectiveness of a setup. You have to try it first.

Good luck.

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 5
Yes, need an amp. I use the MKI+, and it's good for a portable, but even it doesn't really do what I need it to. It seems pretty established that 650s sound REALLY good with tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back