Little Dot II: quality problems
Oct 25, 2005 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pjr300

100+ Head-Fier
Interesting thread at the ipod studio site.... they did a LD II group buy and the result was huge problems. Some folks are on their 2nd defective unit. NOW the price increase from $110 to $237 makes sense... recouping losses. Hmmmmm......

http://ipastudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1862

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 17
It is interesting indeed... I purchased my LDII right around the time the ipod fellows were getting their 1st replacements. My unit has none of the problems that I have read about in their threads, bad caps and channel imbalance and such. I absolutly love this thing
eggosmile.gif
. I hate that its name has been spoiled so badly as its a great amp even at the new price. Any one else around here own one?

Oct 25, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 17
same here, I dont have any of their problems. my LDII is dead silent, no microphonics issue's.

Oct 25, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 17
i'm waiting for my LD3 to be delivered at the end of the month.
i hope all goes well without any glitch..
anybody here ordered the LD3?

Oct 25, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 17
I have the Little Dot II (first round of the ones ordered through ipodstudio), and I love the SQ. Build quality is fine & I have had none of the problems reported by others (except a channel imbalance at the low end of the pot, which is to be expected). My tubes are a bit microphonic when the unit is first turned on or a headphone plug is inserted (jarring the tubes), but otherwise it seems fairly quiet (I wouldn't call it black, as there is a VERY slight hum at least sometimes).

I have noticed recently that one of the LEDs (underneath the preamp tubes) is dimmer than the others -- I hope that's not a harbinger of doom, but so far I can't hear any problems with the sound. Overall, I'm very pleased to have picked up a nice entry-level tube amp, especially for the initial price.

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 17
I bought a pair of RCA 1S5 tubes to try tube rolling, the tubes are very microphonic, and there is humming on the left channel
frown.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 17
the LD3 release is postponed again..
frown.gif

i hope it's worth the few delays..

a

Nov 3, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 17
I have one on the way. I undersand that with the recent cap changes they have resolved the reliability issues.

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 17
I bought a Little Dot I and it has hum and microphonics problems. The hum is really more a buzz, and it seems to stem from being anywhere near a computer, which is too bad because that's what I wanted to use it for. The microphonics aren't an issue as long as you don't touch the thing
orphsmile.gif

It actually sounds quite good for such a cheap tube amp though.

Nov 4, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I bought a Little Dot I and it has hum and microphonics problems. The hum is really more a buzz, and it seems to stem from being anywhere near a computer, which is too bad because that's what I wanted to use it for. The microphonics aren't an issue as long as you don't touch the thing
orphsmile.gif

It actually sounds quite good for such a cheap tube amp though.

I noticed you have hd650s and dt770s. The Senns sound good, but lower impedance phones like the dt770 do reveal a hum. The LDII is supposed to match the lower impedance better than LDI

Nov 4, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjr300
Interesting thread at the ipod studio site.... they did a LD II group buy and the result was huge problems. Some folks are on their 2nd defective unit. NOW the price increase from $110 to $237 makes sense... recouping losses. Hmmmmm......

http://ipastudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1862

I got in on this group buy. My first LDII blew a cap on the first day. I was sent a replacement with no hassle and no charge. Some people did not have this problem with their amp at all.

If you are thinking of ordering one from the builder you should read through that thread very carefully. The builder is being cooperative in replacing defective amps; however this isn't the type of service you will get from Headroom or the like.

My replacement has been going strong for over a month. For 110$ the amp is a steal, even for 237$ this amp sounds great. I use HD580s and AKG 240S with the amp. Of course, if you are sent a defective amp this is meaningless.

The price increase if I remember correctly came about around the end of August, before the issues with the group buy amps. I think the increase has more to do with demand for the amp and currency issues than a money grab.

Nov 4, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #15 of 17
I purchased a LD11 when they were really cheap and was blown away by the quality for the cost.......... posted my impressions at the time. In fact my comments are used by the company in their Ebay listings.

Still very pleased with the sound but agree it runs very hot.

I also at the time suggested that people grab them before the price went up. I wonder if the original prices were 'loss leaders' to attract custom?

I am not suprised to see the price rise and would still see the new price as a bargain. I was tempted by the LD111 but with the problems reported here and elsewhere re the LD11 and having to post it back to China have come to the conclusion that I will not.

At the price I paid (approx $109 inc shipping) I would have been prepared to throw it away if it had been a pile of junk. At the new price I would not be so willing to just dump it.

I view the purchase of any new (ie non established) amp as a risk - I just seem to have been lucky with my unit.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back