Little Dot II anyone?
Jun 29, 2006 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

SprySpectre

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sure there are a few head-fiers here who own or have used the Little Dot II...I'm wondering how it sounds for the money. I tried to do a little research and really couldn't come up with much information for it. Just a few pictures (which I like, it looks sweet). I'll have more questions once I get some response, I definitely like the price on this, I didn't realize tube amps would be fairly cheap.

Will it compliment my DT880's well? My setup is in my sig...I'd have to run this after the Panny receiver which will be doing the DAC I suppose.

Jun 29, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SprySpectre
I'm sure there are a few head-fiers here who own or have used the Little Dot II...I'm wondering how it sounds for the money. I tried to do a little research and really couldn't come up with much information for it. Just a few pictures (which I like, it looks sweet). I'll have more questions once I get some response, I definitely like the price on this, I didn't realize tube amps would be fairly cheap.

Will it compliment my DT880's well? My setup is in my sig...I'd have to run this after the Panny receiver which will be doing the DAC I suppose.

I don't think the LD2 compliments the DT880's very well. However, it makes a great pairing with Grados, even SR-60's might be preferable to DT-880's with this amp.

Jun 29, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbucla2005
I don't think the LD2 compliments the DT880's very well. However, it makes a great pairing with Grados, even SR-60's might be preferable to DT-880's with this amp.

Why do you say that?

Ultimately the sound I'm looking for is a little tighter bass, but I like a warmer sound that I think a tube flavor of amp will provide. The bass isn't a big deal, but if I could get it with a tube amp for cheap, that'd be a plus.

Jun 29, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 21
I recommend it. I use my DT880's with it all the time and really like the sound. Although I will say I am just a fan of the Lil Dot amps. Great value / sound for the money. Especially the II / III amps.

Jun 29, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by spartan123
I recommend it. I use my DT880's with it all the time and really like the sound. Although I will say I am just a fan of the Lil Dot amps. Great value / sound for the money. Especially the II / III amps.

How does the II sound compared to unamped DT880's?

Jun 29, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 21
I have used my LDII with most of my headphones. It smooths out my K701s and Ety ER4Ps. My Grado SR225s are really nice on it. Not harsh at all, fast with nice impact. I have not tried the 880s with it yet. I think the LDII is a nice entry into tube amps. Take a look at the Darkvoice (there is a thread on the first page in this forum). I think that amp can be had for $280 or so and is supposedly a real winner.

Jun 29, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 21
You also might consider the new Russian tube amp called the "lunch box". It is being marketed in the USA by Eddie Current, and is pricewise about the same price as the "Little Dot".

- augustwest

Jun 30, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SprySpectre
Why do you say that?

Ultimately the sound I'm looking for is a little tighter bass, but I like a warmer sound that I think a tube flavor of amp will provide. The bass isn't a big deal, but if I could get it with a tube amp for cheap, that'd be a plus.

I say this because I sense a bit of harshness and brightness from the LD2 character, which doesn't match well with the DT-880's. I started out thinking I would use my LD2 with my DT-880's and then I went to Senn 580's and then to Grados. I would think that something like an MG Head with good tubes would be nicer for the DT-880's. The DT-880's are too revealing for a budget amp like the LD2 I think.

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbucla2005
I say this because I sense a bit of harshness and brightness from the LD2 character, which doesn't match well with the DT-880's. I started out thinking I would use my LD2 with my DT-880's and then I went to Senn 580's and then to Grados. I would think that something like an MG Head with good tubes would be nicer for the DT-880's. The DT-880's are too revealing for a budget amp like the LD2 I think.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

darkninja, thanks for the suggestion. However, as much as my wallet wants to spend that much, it's on a short leash for the moment.

I noticed the Lunch Box when I was doing a bit of research (might have been in one of the stickies above), and I kind of disregarded them at the time. I'll take another look at them though!

Jul 5, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #14 of 21
Does anyone know if there's a good upgrade path for tubes using either the LDII? How about the Lunchbox amp?

Also, I'm seeing the cost at about $160 for the lunchbox, and about $150 for the LDII...I take it you just email zunqiu@gmail.com to order?

I'm starting to convince myself the LDII is my best bang for the buck...bah, someone convince me that I shouldn't spend the money, that I should save for my college tuition instead!

Jul 5, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #15 of 21
the problem I have with the LDII is the tubes it uses are pretty much impossible to find... the smaller tubes can be found as they were used in old battery powered radios, but the larger tubes are a really wacky chinese design that only has one russian equivilant (good luck on that one) and the larger tubes it comes with look really crappy, the locktal connector looks like cheesy cast metal...

it does sound pretty good for $150... really bass oriented amp... but you really cant upgrade it any

Users who are viewing this thread

Back