Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Mar 14, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #1,036 of 3,154
Sounds great.  When I first received the amp (over two years ago), I experimented with various headphones and gain.  Shortly thereafter I put it back to lo-gain and keep phones up to 75ohms plugged in.  It is a wonderful little amp that makes Grados and low impedance phones really shine..

Cheers

beerchug.gif

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #1,037 of 3,154
I have had this little amp for the past month or so and just can't get enough of it paired with my RS2i's. I'm using the iBasso D12 as a standalone DAC and using optical from Macbook Pro and just falling in love with my music collection again. I've got the opa2107 and sylvainia GB408a gold pin tubes. Pretty happy.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #1,038 of 3,154
So I've been able to spend a little time driving my HE-5LE's with the I+ and I'll say I find it capable. Surely there are those of the opinion that the only way to make the HE-X's sing is driving them with a seriously powerful amp or off some speaker taps.... And I certainly agree that my Woo is providing a much fuller sound than I am hearing from the LD, but set to high gain I am enjoying what I am hearing out of the little guy. No true A/B here, I'm using a Stello DAC ahead of the Woo and a Headroom Micro DAC ahead of the I+.

For someone looking for a very affordable amp (well under $100 used) to get started with some ortho's, say the HE4's or 5's, I think this little hybrid holds promise. I'd really be speculating to say the same for the 6's as they require even more to drive and I've only listened to them in a meet setting.

Some time rolling in some tubes would likely find a pretty acceptable combo!

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #1,039 of 3,154

Ok finally got my CV4010s in today. Finally found some tubes I enjoy. The LT1364CN8 + Mullard CV4010 combo is really, really nice for most of the genres I listen to (Electronica, Rock, Rap, etc...). Thanks roker!!

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #1,040 of 3,154

Quote:
Ok finally got my CV4010s in today. Finally found some tubes I enjoy. The LT1364CN8 + Mullard CV4010 combo is really, really nice for most of the genres I listen to (Electronica, Rock, Rap, etc...). Thanks roker!!

Care to comment on what is you like about the combo?  I'm interested as I am assuming you're combining with your D2000, I am a D7000 listener.

You guys are making me think that the something in the EF95 family is the next place I should go with my rolling!

I'm still chewing on the EF91's...  There are times I really like them, but others not so much.  They may be a little bright for me, I think I tend to lean towards something with a bit warmer, euphonic sound.  I am finding I enjoy the great detail of the EF91's.  I've heard that the 2107 is not the most detailed of the op amps, so it would be interesting to see just how they combine with one that is. 

Further to my comments on driving the HE-5LE's, clearly the D7000's have better synergy with this amp.  I listened with this combo last night and it definitely was a better overall presentation.  I still plan to keep trying some tube/op amp combinations to really match up well with the HE-5's... as I said I think there is some potential here.

Mar 17, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #1,041 of 3,154

Yes, using this combo with my D2000s. I also enjoy warmer, euphonic sound and this combo delivers. I got my tubes from this seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270629165066&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Recieved them within 9 days, but that's because I'm in California. I'm sure you'll love the CV4010s, but make sure you order the LT1364CN8 samples from Linear Tech to go with CV4010s. They'll go great with your D7000s.
Quote:
Care to comment on what is you like about the combo?  I'm interested as I am assuming you're combining with your D2000, I am a D7000 listener.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #1,042 of 3,154
Yes, using this combo with my D2000s. I also enjoy warmer, euphonic sound and this combo delivers. I got my tubes from this seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270629165066&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Recieved them within 9 days, but that's because I'm in California. I'm sure you'll love the CV4010s, but make sure you order the LT1364CN8 samples from Linear Tech to go with CV4010s. They'll go great with your D7000s.

Got a pair on the way, thanks for the recommendation on the seller. I've got the 1364 here so I can try that combo.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #1,043 of 3,154

Quote:

Good thing we listen to the same things!

But yeah, it's going to be hard to replace this amp in the future (if ever).

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #1,044 of 3,154

Quote:
Good thing we listen to the same things!

But yeah, it's going to be hard to replace this amp in the future (if ever).

+1
Even with the addition of my Woo I have not even considered getting rid of my I+.  Yes, it has been replaced in my number one rig, but I can't see myself wanting to sell it off anytime soon, if at all.  If for no other reason it's small enough to take into work and have some sweet tube sound there.  It also gets some duty at an alternative listening location at home.

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #1,046 of 3,154
I have had this little amp for the past month or so and just can't get enough of it paired with my RS2i's. I'm using the iBasso D12 as a standalone DAC and using optical from Macbook Pro and just falling in love with my music collection again. I've got the opa2107 and sylvainia GB408a gold pin tubes. Pretty happy.

I finally rolled in a pair of GB 408a gold pins. I have hesitated for a while because many gave them rave reviews while others were calling it FOTM. I wanted to hear some other tubes first. I'm still running the 2107, so a change in op amp is due...

For me the gold pins live up to the hype, at least on an overall musical signature. I'm not a/b'ing anything, but from memory I am finding the best balance I've heard. They may not have the strongest bass or the clearest details, but seem to perform well from top to bottom. For reference, my listening today has been with the Denon d7k's and the low gain setting.

I could leave these tubes in and be pretty happy.... But of course that would be no fun! Besides, I've got a pair of cv4010's to pick up at the post office tomorrow!

Anyone ever see any Amperex 6AK5W's out there for sale? I never seem to run across them, but have wanted to give them a try.

I also picked up another DAC (DacMagic) that I plan to set up where I keep the LD, so I'm looking forward to seeing what changes that brings.

It's been quiet out here in LD I+ land... Everyone must be busy listening!

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #1,047 of 3,154

Quote:

Hello all once again, I forgot all about my posting in this thread, however I am now getting onto all of this.

I am about to order a set of tubes however I obviously want to make sure that I order something which I can use.

Going by the advice of 'Cristox';

To use EF91, EF92, CV131, CV138, etc:
1. K1 and K2 set to the side of the “6JI” text
2. Make sure the jumpers caps are in place over both J1 and J2 (short circuit)

As these are what the tubes I am looking to go with, I have done as suggested, however I purchased this amp quite a while ago, and can not remember what I did with any packaging that I may have received, so I therefore do not have any spare jumpers. I do have access to a PC store though, so I am wondering if the jumpers are the same as jumpers used on motherboards? Or should I just order some from ebay (I am more than happy to do this). If I am to do this, is there anything else which I should order while I am at it? Or is changing the jumpers all that I need to do in order to change tubes?

Once more, I am ordering some which are in the EF91 family, probably the ones listed in my quoted post, are these good quality?

I thank you all for the help, and I hope that eventually I will have enough knowledge to be able to help others out. :)

Hey people, sorry to bump this question once again.

I received the tubes which I ordered today - hooray! And I chucked them in, and opened up the amp to make sure all settings were correct, however in the post which I quoted from Cristox - he only mentions J1 and J2, however there is also J3 and J4, are these latter two meant to always be covered? Or am I meant to take the jumper covers off of J3 and J4 and place them on J1 and J2? (Or when using the EF92 settings, am I meant to have all four covered?

Thanks a lot for all the help, this forum has been great.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #1,048 of 3,154

All of this should be confirmed with your manual:

K1 and K2 must be used for tube selection.  Depending on your unit, this may be small switches or jumper covers to move.

J1 and J2 must also be configured for tubes, either jumped or open depending on the tube you select.

J3 and J4 are only used to select the gain.  They can be either open or closed and have no effect on the tube selection.

For an EF92 you want the following:
Set both K1/K2 switches (or jumpers) to the side marked 6JI on the circuit board.
Place jumper caps onto jumpers J1 and J2

Your choice to jump J3 and J4 only depends on how you want to set the gain.

If you are wanting to short J3 and J4 (low gain), and you don't have enough jumpers (spares are delivered with the amp in a little bag) then you can get additional jumpers at most electronic/computer stores, they are standard fair.

Let me know if that helps.

Quote:
Hey people, sorry to bump this question once again.

I received the tubes which I ordered today - hooray! And I chucked them in, and opened up the amp to make sure all settings were correct, however in the post which I quoted from Cristox - he only mentions J1 and J2, however there is also J3 and J4, are these latter two meant to always be covered? Or am I meant to take the jumper covers off of J3 and J4 and place them on J1 and J2? (Or when using the EF92 settings, am I meant to have all four covered?

Thanks a lot for all the help, this forum has been great.

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #1,049 of 3,154
Yea, that is exactly what I was wondering, thanks a lot! I only have two jumpers and while I have ordered a pack of them off ebay I am impatient! Haha.

Also, when I bought the amp I was quite a noob, and I either threw out all the packaging along with the manual, have misplaced it, or I bought the amp second hand and did not get a manual (it was a while ago and I am unable to remember).

Thanks a lot for the help. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back