Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Nov 2, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #931 of 3,154

Quote:
Yes, it sounds better than the headphone out of the udac2. Im using my thunderpants (modded fostex t50rp-power hungry to say the least) and hd600 ocasionally. Yes, the results are far better using the ld1+ compared to just the hp out of the udac2. depending on what headphones you have you might be completely satisfied with the hp out of the udac2 but many higher end drivers just dont sound their best out of the udac hp out. 

M

I'm using Alessandro MS-1i's and planning to buy Denon D2000 later. Will that be worth the upgrade?

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #932 of 3,154

Quote:
I'm using Alessandro MS-1i's and planning to buy Denon D2000 later. Will that be worth the upgrade?

I was not impressed by the denons at canjam. I remember them sounding just plain terrible, like the low lows and high highs were cut off or something. I personally don't think they're much of an upgrade over open cans at all, but over other closed, very well might be.

Edit: I should also clarify that for me, SRH840 sounds magnitudes better and even more so from the Little dot I+. At 60$ cheaper, the SRH840 are a no brainer for me. As a disclaimer, I don't remember which denon I heard but they were wood cup so at least AH-D5000. And they just sounded horrible to me. I might not have had a good seal, but they were heavy, uncomfortable and didn't sound good.

The SRH840 are moderately heavy but hte biggest downfall is they're bulky as heck. my Grados are easier to wear then they are, but they beat out the ATH-AD700 for gaming for me, briding a wonderful gap where closed and open cans stand... closed so no leak, but sound stage like open cans and a clearer flatter presentation than ATH's. Just a better closed can and a better gaming can for me.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #933 of 3,154
i have no experience with denons and the only grado i've had was a sr60 for a few months, I liked the sr60 but that was so long ago i was just buying and selling to find out what i liked... sorry i cant help there.

Edit: by the way tube rollers, i've been listening to the mullard ef91 for a while now and it really compares to the we408a well. Very close in sound. i guess all i can say is that the ef91 is a clearer version of the 408a imo. Im leaving it in for now, it pairs the best with the thunderpants
smile.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #934 of 3,154

Quote:
i have no experience with denons and the only grado i've had was a sr60 for a few months, I liked the sr60 but that was so long ago i was just buying and selling to find out what i liked... sorry i cant help there.

Edit: by the way tube rollers, i've been listening to the mullard ef91 for a while now and it really compares to the we408a well. Very close in sound. i guess all i can say is that the ef91 is a clearer version of the 408a imo. Im leaving it in for now, it pairs the best with the thunderpants
smile.gif

My findings with the EF91 is they pair better with everything. On occasion I found a tube that sounded good with x can but terrible with everything else... the EF91 paired well with everything. The stock tubes sound good with everything too and far more airy. I will be buying 4 more EF91's probably to see if my EF91's died or I just grew tired of them. I just remember loving them and all of a sudden just hating them.

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #935 of 3,154
I got my ef91's from langrex in the uk off ebay. 30$ for a matched pair isnt bad!   search langrex or yitry and you should find the seller, they are in perfect condition.

I agree, the stock tubes are really just as good as any other, just different not worse or better...

M

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #936 of 3,154

Quote:
I got my ef91's from langrex in the uk off ebay. 30$ for a matched pair isnt bad!   search langrex or yitry and you should find the seller, they are in perfect condition.

I agree, the stock tubes are really just as good as any other, just different not worse or better...

M

wink.gif

It's where I got my tubes about 10 months ago as well. I'll order 4 more once my ebay bucks clear.

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #937 of 3,154
^
smile.gif
   cool

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #938 of 3,154

Dept_of_Alchemy said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

A good and trusted source for Little Dot tubes would be Yen Audio on ebay, all of the tubes sold by YA are matched pairs which in my experience is very important in terms of portraying an accurate and believable soundstage. It looks like they're stocking some 408A tubes just for the I+. Highly recommended place to start looking at LD upgrade tubes if you're just starting out in the tube amp hobby.

http://stores.ebay.com/Yen-Audio_Lit...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Now I got it, Thanks for your sharing! It is exactly what I need.

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #939 of 3,154

Dept_of_Alchemy said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

A good and trusted source for Little Dot tubes would be Yen Audio on ebay, all of the tubes sold by YA are matched pairs which in my experience is very important in terms of portraying an accurate and believable soundstage. It looks like they're stocking some 408A tubes just for the I+. Highly recommended place to start looking at LD upgrade tubes if you're just starting out in the tube amp hobby.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #940 of 3,154

Quote:
Quote:
Dept_of_Alchemy said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Be careful, the above post is fairly old.  Yen Audio went sour over a year ago or so and all types of problems happened with tubes never received etc. etc.

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #941 of 3,154
Hello, Little Dot I+ Threaders,

Last weekend, I acquired a used Little Dot I+ and after reading through most of the 63 pages of this enormous and quite informative thread, I wanted to share my initial reaction to this tiny wonder.

I brought a classic iPod and my old ATH-M40fs to meet the seller whom I found through a local Craigslist ad. After plugging in everything, I listened and was quite dismayed. I thought it was terrible and underpowered and I told the guy so. He asked to listen to my headphones and said that's not what it sounded through his Grado SR80. He hooked it up and allowed me to listen through it. The difference was simply astounding.

I had done my homework on the LD I+ and I thought that the ATH-M40fs, with an impedance of 60 ohms, would work perfectly well with it. But not so, not even with a real cd player as source. I tried the original iPod earbuds on the LD I+ and they were so much better than the M40fs. 

My LD I+ came with a pair of Sylvania GB408a and when I opened the case, I found a BB OPA2227AP inside. I'm using it with a system consisting of an iMac AIFF digital out, Musiland MD10 DAC and B&W P5 headphones. I'm more than satisfied with this setup: it's a keeper.

Unlike most of you on this forum, I'm not really a tube/opamp roller. Once I find a setup I like, I tend to stick with it. So, anyway, the LD I+ also came with a bunch of different tubes: 1 pair WE408a, 1 pair Mullard EF92, 2 pairs Sylvania GB408a in new boxes, and 6 pairs Sylvania GB408a in really old boxes, the ones with gold pins. 

I have no idea what the protocol for selling items in this forum is, but I was thinking that I'll only be keeping the Mullards and 2 pairs of the old Sylvania GB408a. I'd like to sell the others after I've tested them to make sure they actually work. If anyone is interested, let me know. I'll post pics of the tubes next time. Also, let me know if this is not the appropriate way to sell items on this forum :)

Thanks.

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #944 of 3,154
Hey guys,

I don't know if I'm way late to the party here, but I've been rolling op-amps and tubes recently for the LD I+. It's been pretty fun. The OPA2107 was a bit too dark and bassy at the expense of the highs for me. This was especially the case when I combined it with the Mullard tubes. The LM4562 was way too bright I felt, even using the Mullards. So, I settled on the LT1364, which I had read about and seemed to be the mid-range consensus. So I'm not breaking any ceilings in that department.

But I have found that the Telefunken AK5W's work great with the LT1364 and Grado 325i's. I have yet to try the GB408A's, but I've gotten my hands on the Amperex 6AK5W's, the Voshods, the Mullards, and of course the WE 408A's.  None of these compare to the midrange clarity/highs/not-underwhelming-bass of the Telefunkens.  So yeah, if there's anyone out there who is looking for a tube rec. from a fellow Little Dot AMATEUR music listener (can't bring myself to evoke that "audiophile" pride) and first-time poster, I suggest the Telefunkens if you can't find the syls.  I also really appreciate all the well-formulated posts about the Little Dot that preceded my interest in audio.  This is a great forum!

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #945 of 3,154
Just wanted to post a couple of pics of the Sylvania Gold Brand GB408A I have, for those interested. I've already sold a pair on eBay for $75 and I have 8 pairs left. I'm keeping 2 pairs for myself and selling the others. I'm posting another pair on eBay tomorrow, auction starts at $49.99 and BIN at $75 with free shipping. I'm willing to sell to Head-Fi'ers for $65/pair shipped by USPS priority mail to a US address. 

As you can see in the pics, they are not the ones with the gold pins. I have one of those but it's not for sale :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back