Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jul 16, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #811 of 3,154
@Trapper32

Hmm it aint like i like the LT 1364 over any other opamp. I have read this post from start till end it and it seems this one got most good comment beside  the offset issue some people have measured. For me this first time really rolling opamp. PS i just need to plug it in right like people mention, for the LT1364 i dont need adapter right?

http://cgi.ebay.nl/M8083-CV4014-EF91-MULLARD-NOS-MATCHED-PAIR-/310087990802?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item4832af3e12

Something like this one? (Mullard E91)

I try to find some cheap tube to roll. but before that i will just try to see how the new opamp will do.

Source is my iphone 3gs, did not tried it on my cd player. (might give that  try tonight)

Will let you know if that make a difference.

Best Regards.
Mango

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #812 of 3,154
Yes like those tubes.   When you put the opamp in just make sure you orient it the same way.  There's an ident or half moon that has to be inserted in the right direction.  That opamp might be a little too bright and detailed for a k701 but your ears will be the best judge.  Good Luck. 

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #813 of 3,154
Well, Bought the tube i just linked you. Hope they come in one piece and without custom problem.

Hmm So the combo should be LT1364+Mullard E91

Hope this will sound good with the K701

I will reply back later in few week or so when i got it all and tested it.

Thanks for the help and i will keep in mind when i roll the opamp.

Best Regards,
Mango

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #814 of 3,154

What are your thoughts of the setup?  I'm very much enjoying my LT1364 + W.E. 408A with my K702. 
Quote:
Well, Bought the tube i just linked you. Hope they come in one piece and without custom problem.

Hmm So the combo should be LT1364+Mullard E91

Hope this will sound good with the K701

I will reply back later in few week or so when i got it all and tested it.

Thanks for the help and i will keep in mind when i roll the opamp.

Best Regards,
Mango

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #815 of 3,154
Dangit!  Wouldn't you know it... I say how I like my current setup... and I put on a little Corinne Bailey Rae... and her first song (Like a Star) on her CD... I hear a little crackling and popping sounds with some of the bass.  So, I make sure my connections are tight (they are)... and listen some more.  Still there.  I pop in the CD and listen to that instead of the ALAC files that I was listening to.  Still there.  So, I plug directly into my DAC.... it's gone.  I guess I need to replace my tubes.  I'm now trying to decide if I want to re-purchase the W.E. 408A or go for something else.

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #816 of 3,154
Anyone else running Telefunken tubes in their LD1? I am loving mine since they settled in.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #817 of 3,154
@Waytoocrazy

cant tell the LT1364 was defected, when i got it so no way to test it. if anyone can tell me where i can get it or any opamps mention here for a decent price (if possible near europe as i am Dutch) would be much appreciated.

And the tube i got still need to put it in as work is preventing me to tinker with my Little Dot I+

Also aint those little pop normal? As they are " tube "  like littel crack and pop you hear on LP?

Anyway good luck fixing the pop/crack sound.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #818 of 3,154
I got the email from David today that my Little Dot I+ shipped out. I'm so excited for my first tube experience!
gs1000.gif

Anyway, I may wait a while to try out new tubes, and I don't even know if I'll bother with opamps since I'm clumsy when it comes to dealing with small electronics parts.

But for future reference: I'll be listening to pretty much all genres (particular emphasis on punk/metal, electronic, and some jazz) with my LD I+; it will be fed by a uDAC running WMA lossless files from ASIO4ALL on Fubar2000. Which tubes would be best suited for my genres? It seems like the 408A are the creme of the crop, but I'm not sure I want to take that big of a leap right off the bat. Any ideas for "starter" tubes for this amp?

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #819 of 3,154

Quote:
I got the email from David today that my Little Dot I+ shipped out. I'm so excited for my first tube experience!
gs1000.gif

Anyway, I may wait a while to try out new tubes, and I don't even know if I'll bother with opamps since I'm clumsy when it comes to dealing with small electronics parts.

But for future reference: I'll be listening to pretty much all genres (particular emphasis on punk/metal, electronic, and some jazz) with my LD I+; it will be fed by a uDAC running WMA lossless files from ASIO4ALL on Fubar2000. Which tubes would be best suited for my genres? It seems like the 408A are the creme of the crop, but I'm not sure I want to take that big of a leap right off the bat. Any ideas for "starter" tubes for this amp?

Maybe the gold brand 408 (which i didn't invest in, but do have a reputation of being good, not sure if it's the ipod syndrome "it's good because it's expensive"), the vanilla 408 are not as sweet as my EF91, tastes vary, which is why most anyone tries more than one if they try any at all. keep an eye on ebay, cheap deals can be had for most of the fun ones, i also mean to say to not bother with $40+ "matched sets" BS makes trying tubes an affordable past time. :)

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #820 of 3,154
I was considering buying these 408A Phillips tubes for my Little Dot I+ - the seller claims its the 'same as Sylvania'

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

What is the difference in sound generally between the EF92 and the 408A tubes? EF95? What are the generally the prefered brands?

Also - is anyone familiar with the 408A ERICSSON TUBES

i posted a new thread about this, but then i realized this might be the better thread post in.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #821 of 3,154

Quote:
I was considering buying these 408A Phillips tubes for my Little Dot I+ - the seller claims its the 'same as Sylvania'

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

What is the difference in sound generally between the EF92 and the 408A tubes? EF95? What are the generally the prefered brands?

Also - is anyone familiar with the 408A ERICSSON TUBES

i posted a new thread about this, but then i realized this might be the better thread post in.

My EF92's seem to sonud compressed and bass heavy.
My EF91's are expansive and very nuetral.
My 408's are about like the EF92's with less bass.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #822 of 3,154
i think i like bass of the EF92. i didn't notice them 'sounding compressed' - but then again I haven't heard any other tubes (let alone tube amps). i don't think i would like to lose bass. but i'm not sure what you mean by 'compressed.' i like the idea of something 'more' than what i have (EF92) but I also don't want to lose much bass. what tube would you suggest?

Quote:
My EF92's seem to sonud compressed and bass heavy.
My EF91's are expansive and very nuetral.
My 408's are about like the EF92's with less bass.

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #824 of 3,154
if i want to put more bass into my RS-1s with my Little Dot I+, which tubes would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back